3rd Gen Montero Initial Impressions/Build Thread

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I know it's been a few years since this thread was updated, but I'd love to see some more pics of the interior storage/platform. I plan on a similar build soon.

SirFrancisDrake

2002 Montero Ltd
I know it's been a few years since this thread was updated, but I'd love to see some more pics of the interior storage/platform. I plan on a similar build soon.

Missed this thread. Looking for something specific?

9A3Zbvv.jpg

tLdrGsb.jpg

ntnaj3d.jpg

Those wooden dowels go into the rubber caps to hold the platform up when it is folded forward.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Second row won't fold forward/up flat to the front row... Solution?

"Some achilles heels: The second-row seat release mechanism is fragile at best, and when it goes it's a PITA to repair. I've discovered how to get the seats released once the cable goes, just haven't had the time to post it (hang in there Sabre). Others are blowing exhaust gaskets at the header, and valve seal seeping, if not outright weeping."

I have the same problem with my second row. Can anyone tell me how to fix or work around this? Thank you

Monstero

Adventurer
Once you get it released you can use wire leader material that is used to make leaders for fishing. I got that and some wire crimps from my local Bass Pro shops and then fabricated the right length to hold on the pins for the release and crimped it on there. Works fine now.

nocensorbo

Observer
Don't mean to bump a old thread. How did the platform end up working out? I recently bought a montero and trying to get ideas for building kt since I'm in it a little.

kchristian

Adventurer
OP here... I remember fixing the second row was easier than I expected but I don't remember how I did it. Pretty sure I just followed a forum post here.

The platform was pretty good for a quick first try. Couple of notes: I wish I would have built it in two sections so that the second row could be installed and the rear section remain in place. I would also probably ditch the foldable front section. I don't think we folded it up once while on our trip. I suppose if I was daily driving the Montero I would fold it more. I would also put some struts or something to help hold up the rear section. It wasn't a big deal until we put the mattress on there. Then it became a real pain to lift it up and hold it open while digging around in the fridge or whatever.

I sold the Montero a couple years ago but it was a great platform for the time I had it.

PHeller

Adventurer
Do you still have any dimensions of that platform? like how long it was from the rear door to the back of the front seats?

How's Puerto Rico treating you? I'd love to live down there!

kchristian

Adventurer
Sorry, I don't have anything thats not posted here. I believe the length is right at 6 ft from the rear door to the back of the seats. That was important to me when we were shopping for a vehicle for the trip. I have to sleep stretched out...

Puerto Rico is paradise. I do miss road trips and living near the mountains however...

Do you still have any dimensions of that platform? like how long it was from the rear door to the back of the front seats?

How's Puerto Rico treating you? I'd love to live down there!

PHeller

Adventurer
Would love to hear more about your time in Puerto Rico via your blog. What you guys are doing (hospitality, right?) and how you got gigs down there. I'd love to move to PR, but from I understand the job market is pretty terrible, and most people find it best to be self-employed.

kchristian

Adventurer
Would love to hear more about your time in Puerto Rico via your blog. What you guys are doing (hospitality, right?) and how you got gigs down there. I'd love to move to PR, but from I understand the job market is pretty terrible, and most people find it best to be self-employed.

We live on Vieques. It's part of Puerto Rico but removed in many ways as well. We enjoy it here. There are some things that you have to get used to but for the most part it's paradise. From what I've seen, those who make it have to diversify. We came down to manage a large estate for a wealthy American family. But on top of that, I also have 5 vehicles I rent out to tourists, I am a wedding videographer, I run a couple airbnb's, and my wife is the head cowgirl for a horseback riding tour company and works online for an accounting firm in Utah.. With all of that going on, we are able to live comfortably. Any one (or two or three) of those things wouldn't keep us busy or pay the bills. I see people come down here every year with a job lined up and they leave in 6 months or so. You've gotta be able to hustle to make it down here! Having an entrepreneurial mind is required.

Either that or just live like a bum and spend all day at the beach...

Last edited:

PHeller

Adventurer
BTW I friended you on Facebook. Your life looks amazing. Quite inspirational. Like I said, I'd read blogs posts about you made it all happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles