3rd Gen Montero Hitch Install

Conoven

Hello all!

This will be my first post of many. I just recently purchased a new to me 2005 Mitsubishi Montero. I will do a official build thread here soon. My question to you all is, how the heck do I remove the upper 4 screws holding the factory tow hooks in? I removed the lower 4 last night, but can't figure out how to remove the upper 4. It seems like a tight fit beside the third row seat storage area to remove the upper 2. I plan on getting a swivel out tonight after work to see if I can even break the screws loose. Any helpful advice our youtube videos will work for me.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Removal of the upper bolts is a long, slow, slog, 10 degrees turn, flip wrench over, rinse, lather, repeat. There is a trick to gain space, drop the A/C box down, gaining access from the rear wheel well.

Maybe my post in this thread will help on the removal of the factory recovery bar and the install of the hitch:
3rd Gen Montero Hitch

Conoven

Removal of the upper bolts is a long, slow, slog, 10 degrees turn, flip wrench over, rinse, lather, repeat. There is a trick to gain space, drop the A/C box down, gaining access from the rear wheel well.

Maybe my post in this thread will help on the removal of the factory recovery bar and the install of the hitch:
3rd Gen Montero Hitch

Thanks Dave, I was able to get it off before seeing your post. Did exactly what you said however. Now I just need to figure out the Hitch as it looks like CURT hitches had a manufacture defect with this line of hitches. Two of the bolt holes do not line up. Just contacted them and I am waiting to hear back. Thanks again!

Montified

Thanks Dave, I was able to get it off before seeing your post. Did exactly what you said however. Now I just need to figure out the Hitch as it looks like CURT hitches had a manufacture defect with this line of hitches. Two of the bolt holes do not line up. Just contacted them and I am waiting to hear back. Thanks again!

I bought a curt hitch last month for my 2001 Montero limited. I had read about issues with the holes lining up but I think that has been fixed. All five holes lined up perfect. I installed it no problem. Then I started looking fo a certified welder ASAP. There is just enough room to raise the receiver about 3 inches. I had them cut the hitch horizontal bar at each end at the hitch brackets and move it up and rearward about 1/4” to clear the third the third row seat compartment.
I had already pre notched the edge of the chrome bumper piece so the receiver could be moved up as far as possible. I also had them add a 3 degree upward pitch to compensate for the sloppy fit of of a motorcycle rack carrier I use and any other offbrand towbars in the future. You’re gonna want to be on site when The welder measures in tax the hitch for the new fit to make sure they get it up as far as possible and I don’t short you any ground clearance.

Montified

I bought a curt hitch last month for my 2001 Montero limited. I had read about issues with the holes lining up but I think that has been fixed. All five holes lined up perfect. I installed it no problem. Then I started looking fo a certified welder ASAP. There is just enough room to raise the receiver about 3 inches. I had them cut the hitch horizontal bar at each end at the hitch brackets and move it up and rearward about 1/4” to clear the third the third row seat compartment.
I had already pre notched the edge of the chrome bumper piece so the receiver could be moved up as far as possible. I also had them add a 3 degree upward pitch to compensate for the sloppy fit of of a motorcycle rack carrier I use and any other offbrand towbars in the future. You’re gonna want to be on site when The welder measures in tax the hitch for the new fit to make sure they get it up as far as possible and I don’t short you any ground clearance.

… Excuse the dictation errors, also I recommend a certified welder for peace of mind and to help relieve yourself of any liability should the whole thing come apart! It took him about two hours with fitting measuring test fitting grinding welding painting, $180 well spent.

zerogspacecow

… Excuse the dictation errors, also I recommend a certified welder for peace of mind and to help relieve yourself of any liability should the whole thing come apart! It took him about two hours with fitting measuring test fitting grinding welding painting, $180 well spent.

Hey man, looking to modify my hitch like you did. Do you have to have any pictures of it after the modification? I want to make sure I get the clearance right. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles