3rd gen 4Runner vs. Jeep Cherokee XJ

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I never said ever. I just said Toyota rusts way more......lsooooooooooooo.........Get over it. I am sorry that you like Toyota. I feel for you.

Lets put it this way, I have never witness at yard full of rusty jeeps at a jeep dealership....However, there is a rust yard at the 2 local Toyota dealerships. Of runners, tacomas and tundras with swiss cheese chasis failures.

Toyota is the most overrated manufacturer out there.

Please, by all means stay over to the Toyota section. Or maybe I will start visiting over there and rip some new *******s like you try to do here. **** disturber.

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I never said ever. I just said Toyota rusts way more......lsooooooooooooo.........Get over it. I am sorry that you like Toyota. I feel for you.

Lets put it this way, I have never witness at yard full of rusty jeeps at a jeep dealership....However, there is a rust yard at the 2 local Toyota dealerships. Of runners, tacomas and tundras with swiss cheese chasis failures.

Toyota is the most overrated manufacturer out there.

Please, by all means stay over to the Toyota section. Or maybe I will start visiting over there and rip some new *******s like you try to do here. **** disturber.

You're a very grumpy old man aren't you? :). Have a wonderful day.

kojackJKU

Yep. I am. Very much so when others come in to the jeep area and spout the Toyotas the be all end all rhetoric. Far from the truth. Have a wonderful day!

Marcoc

Observer
I've had both Toyotas and Jeeps. Both vehicles have great off road offerings. I am asking peoples opinions on the 4runner and XJ. Either way I can't go wrong. People need to give credit to where it is due, both manufacturers make great vehicles. I would lean more to Toyota for more of a solid vehicle but I do own a 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi and so far I am happy. If a great deal comes to me in an XJ then I'll grab it but if not it will be a Toyota once again.

inthefive555

Wanderer
If those were the only choices, I would go 3rd gen t4r in as good shape as you can get it. The non interference motor alone is worth it vs the 4.0 (which I happen to have seen more than my fair share of failures). The real problem is if you'll be happy once you start pouring $$ into it. That xj could easily be "wish I got a wrangler," and the yota easily turns into land cruiser envy. I have an wj, t4r, taco and fzj80, don't make the same mistake I did. And let's not even bring body panels in this because once you ding that purty zj/wj unibody, you're screwed. And on the wj, once the vic goes haywire or blend doors give up the ghost, you'll want to set the damn thing on fire.

I love my cruiser but the t4r is much more nimble and can fit into places most fat or wide wheeled rigs can't. As long as you can accept the limits of ifs, you'll be good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

inthefive555

Wanderer
The 4.0 is one of the most reliable motors out there....up with the 22R.
Old ones yes, but you cannot deny the weakness in the heads of more recent models. Neither Toyota models in this discussion feature such a weakness, we'll maybe except for 4.5 fzj hg issues.

Marcoc

Observer
If those were the only choices, I would go 3rd gen t4r in as good shape as you can get it. The non interference motor alone is worth it vs the 4.0 (which I happen to have seen more than my fair share of failures). The real problem is if you'll be happy once you start pouring $$ into it. That xj could easily be "wish I got a wrangler," and the yota easily turns into land cruiser envy. I have an wj, t4r, taco and fzj80, don't make the same mistake I did. And let's not even bring body panels in this because once you ding that purty zj/wj unibody, you're screwed. And on the wj, once the vic goes haywire or blend doors give up the ghost, you'll want to set the damn thing on fire.

I love my cruiser but the t4r is much more nimble and can fit into places most fat or wide wheeled rigs can't. As long as you can accept the limits of ifs, you'll be good to go.

The 94 Land Cruisers are a great looking rig but they are expensive and a little big for trails out in the NE where its very tight. I agree that I have heard of some issues on XJ's and the 2000 and 2001 4.0 liter. I am leaning towards the 4Runner but I am not totally against a clean XJ. Lets see what happens when I sell my Mustang. The 4Runners are a great size for the trails around here and the reliability is a huge plus. the XJ's are also fairly tough but I think it still falls behind the 4Runner.

BNJeepsta

The only head issues are the 0331 heads on the 2000 and 2001 XJ's. SOME of them have cracking issues and can be easily prevented/fixed. The unibody on a cherokee is no weaker than the tiny frame on a 4 runner and many companies sell unibody reinforcement kits for cheap if it's really a concern. When it comes right down to it, dollar for dollar, mod for mod, the XJ will outperform the runner on the trail every time. On the other hand, the runner will be far better on the road in terms of handling and comfort. They are both very reliable and have great aftermarket support. I, personally am an XJ fanboy but, if i was going to spend most of the time on pavement and never do any "hard" trails, I'd probably go with the runner.

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
I would go with a 97-99 XJ, Non ABS. That will give you the H.O 4liter, pre COP ignition, and pre 0331 head(prone to cracks). A SOLID FRONT AXLE!!! Will also give you a Chrys 8.25 rear and a HP dana 30 front. 4 full doors, lots of room, Tons of aftermarket support. Lots of storage room in the back for passengers and gear. In addition, there are 5 million XJ's around the country for replacement parts.

kojackJKU

I would go with a 97-99 XJ, Non ABS. That will give you the H.O 4liter, pre COP ignition, and pre 0331 head(prone to cracks). A SOLID FRONT AXLE!!! Will also give you a Chrys 8.25 rear and a HP dana 30 front. 4 full doors, lots of room, Tons of aftermarket support. Lots of storage room in the back for passengers and gear. In addition, there are 5 million XJ's around the country for replacement parts.

What that guy said!

85badger

Mike
From what I hear the XJ is a unibody, that doesn't interest me one bit. I prefer a full frame and a factory rear locker. 4Runner all the way for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94