3rd gen 4runner tire size/suspension question

rickashay

Explorer
I agree to everything said to far. I was in the same boat as you recently and ended up pulling the trigger on a 98 SR5 - 4.30 gears, manual transfer case. The truck is very capable stock with decent tires but the stock rear springs are junk as far as sagging under a load. I was forced to lift the truck because I was getting so much tire rub in the rear when the truck was loaded up. In the past 4 months that I have owned the truck I have put on 265/75/16 BFG KM2 tires, an OME lift, put on sliders, and done an E-Locker axle swap. I have a few more things to do but with the 32" tires, some armor, a lift (for clearance AND weight capacity), and the rear locker, the truck is VERY capable. Like others have said to, it gets better fuel economy than if I were to have ran a 285/75/16 (33x11) tire. I personally LOVE my current setup for a DD and weekend warrior.

20110625-IMG_9255 by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Also I have read that the electronics in the AWD transfer case can be expensive and a problem to replace. When did they add that to the Limited models? Was it just 01,02 or did the 00 have it? Is it a good idea to avoid these?

3rd gen T-cases break down like this:

96-98: Conventional 4wd on all models. IIRC base model and SR-5's get the "fully manual" J-shifter*, i.e. you have to manually select 2wd, 4H, N or 4L. I believe all of the limiteds got the electric shift version of this: It's a shifter lever but it only has 3 positions, H - N - L, with a button on the side of the shifter for 4wd. So it's sort of a "hybrid" system where shifting from 2H to 4H is done electrically but shifting from H to L is done manually.

99 - 2000: Base models and SR5s have conventional 4wd with the J-shifter. Limited's get the multi-mode T-case with a modified J-shifter: 2H/4H (unlocked) with the button on the side of the shifter knob, pull down to 4HL for locked 4hi and shift right and up for N and 4L.

2001 - 2002: Multi-mode on all models with a 3 position shifter, H - N - L with the 4wd button on the side of the shifter knob and the center diff lock button on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel (in the same place that the rear diff lock button would be on the 96 - 00 models as 01-02 models were not available with the rear diff lock.)

01-02 models also had the problematic VSC/TRAC system (stability control.)

NOTE: The term "J-Shifter" is a slang term, you won't see it anywhere in Toyota literature AFAIK. It is called a J shifter because of the shape of the shift pattern which looks sort of like this:
JSHIFT.jpg

Last edited:

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I recently purchased a 97 runner and found myself in a situation where I had to get it trail ready in 48hrs for Pastafari back in May. I loaned my Jeep to an attendee who had engine failure days before the event.
I bought 2" Tacama front pucks for $45. I bought front Cruiser coils for the rear for $50 and ProComp ES9000 shocks for the rear (3" longer than stock) for $32 ea. Pastafari was a 4 day, 3 night expedition through the Maze District that covered 400 offroad miles. I am bot happy and sad to say that this setup out performed the OME suspension on my Jeep. This trip was the first time I even put the Runner in 4wd, it was quite the trial by fire.

AutoXSS

Adventurer
Any negative to just running the stock 265/70? Does the 75series(1/2" bigger overall diameter) tire really make that much of a difference?

98roamer

Explorer
Any negative to just running the stock 265/70? Does the 75series(1/2" bigger overall diameter) tire really make that much of a difference?

Psst, thread a little old. The 75 series opens up LT series tires also. I went with 75 but I have 4:30 gears and it did help.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I'm kinda glad of the revival though. I'm in the midst of trying to decide what to do with my 97, e-locked, 4.30 suspension as well.
Good info here.

GhostRing

Observer
I recently purchased my first 3rd gen (98 LTD) and decided on a 2"ish lift with 267/75/16 Duratracs (C) on OEM 5 star with 1.25" spacers
So far, I have been quite impressed. I needed a little trim here and there, but nothing like what the 285 guys need to do.
Well matched for the 4.30 gears and brakes (sort of...) and I think a 265 fits underneath if need be.

fireball

Explorer
There's a bit of misinformation above. 265/75 is an inch taller than a 265/70 tire.

I have a 99 with the tall coils highest stock suspension. Really love this setup. The rear sags will all our gear but not too badly. We're leaving for a family trip tomorrow so I might take some actual measurements.

Here is a photo after just installing the new ARB awning. 265/75/16 BFG ATs.

yga6enu3.jpg

Check out Steve at Sonora Steel for all your lift questions. He's a true guru and will steer you in the right direction.

thezentree

pretend redneck
Barring variation between manufacturers, yes. My 3rd gen front is set at like 1.3" lift and there is tons of room for my 255s.

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
It's funny to run across an old/revived thread and realize you now know the person that started it. I wheeled the Kokopelli trail to Moab with RC51kid this year and he is doing quite well with the 80 Series Landcruiser he is driving.
But to go with the revival theme, I would recommend old Man Emu and some 235/85r16 tires. Works great on our 4Runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles