3rd gen 4runner tire size/suspension question

rc51kid

Adventurer
I have pretty much decided on buying 3rd gen 4Runner (unless I come across the perfect FJ60/62. I have a lot going on this summer so it will probably be after the summer that I make the purchase. So I will be watching the market and planning my build for now. I actually enjoy the planning and shopping part.

I have a question about what size tires will work best and what if any suspension lift I will need. I plan on using the truck mostly for travel on and off road. I would like it to be off road capable to get me where I want biking/camping/climbing and just exploring. I don't plan any really hard off road but I want it to be capable of exploring fun areas. I know that is a little vague but it is the best I can do right now.

I also need it to be highway friendly and VERY reliable. My work has the possibility of me taking travel assignments basically anywhere I want. For example I could possibly take one in Alaska which would involve driving from Georgia to Alaska if I wanted to. The truck would be loaded up with some of our gear and belonging and my girlfriend and two small dogs. I plan to do a simple storage/sleeping platform. I know the drive would mostly be roads but I would like it to be capable enough to enjoy some exploring along the way and at the destination where ever that might be.

I actually think a build a lot like what I see people take through South America would work for well for me. But although I have backpacked and camped a lot I am new to the 4wd truck thing. So any help would be great.

Back to my question. So for the 3rd gen 4runner, what size tires tend to work the best
for what I need? Also what is the biggest size that fits in the factory location? It would be nice to be able to utilize that space. What sized tires work with the factory suspension or lift? Will I need a mild 2” lift or should I be fine with stock? If I upgrade springs to get better load capacity in the rear can I use factory shocks or do I need to replace shocks as well?

I know it is a lot of basic questions but it should help me figure out some things. Any pictures of recommended setups would be great.

EDIT: i did some searching and it looks like people like 255/85/16. I think this comes out close to 32" is that right? does it work well with stock springs in the 4Runner?

Last edited:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
255/85R16 is a 33" tire. With stock suspension you can run a 265/75R16 which is a 32" tire. If you are not doing anything extreme, I'd stick with the 32" tire and replace the suspension with Old Man Emu shocks and springs. You'll have a nice, comfortable ride and be able to keep your stock gears and some halfway decent fuel mileage.

Here's a shot of mine with 32's and Old Man Emu shocks/springs. In the picture it's loaded, so the rear end sits a little higher when empty. I used to run 285/75R16's (33's), but when down a size to get some fuel economy back.
dsc0184fh.jpg

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
255/85R16 is a 33" tire. With stock suspension you can run a 265/75R16 which is a 32" tire. If you are not doing anything extreme, I'd stick with the 32" tire and replace the suspension with Old Man Emu shocks and springs. You'll have a nice, comfortable ride and be able to keep your stock gears and some halfway decent fuel mileage.

x2 everything CA-RJ said. Should fit your needs great.

rc51kid

Adventurer

Here's a shot of mine with 32's and Old Man Emu shocks/springs. In the picture it's loaded, so the rear end sits a little higher when empty. I used to run 285/75R16's (33's), but when down a size to get some fuel economy back.
dsc0184fh.jpg

thanks for the info and picture, nice looking build. What OME springs did you use?

If the 264/75r16 fit with stock springs do i need to use the OME stuff or is it just that they give better load capacity? Do you know if the OME springs will work with the stock shocks or are the stock shocks to short?

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
The 265's will fit at stock height and you would be surprised where this setup can take you. My suggestion would be first upgrading to the 265's and running them with the stock suspension for a year. Only upgrade when you feel you are being limited in your travels by the stock ground clearence. Get to know the capability of your vehicle before you start dumping money into it. You might find your money is better suited in other upgrades.

That being said, if you want to lift it for the 'cool factor', then go for it!

265/75R16 with factory suspension:
DSCF0382-1.JPG

265/75R16 with lift (OME 882s up front and LX45 coils in the rear):
DSC_3717.JPG

DSCF2654.JPG

Also, you will want to upgrade both the struts/shocks at the same time as the coils. The struts are valved for the OME spring rates and the rear shocks do not have enough travel for the lift.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Remember that there is no single "3rd generation stock suspension." There are at least 3 different suspensions depending on which year. IIRC the 96-98 models have a "moderate" height, the 99 - 00 models usually have the "tall coils" and the 01-02 have a relatively low ride height and big fender flares which can interfere with your tires. So year selection is important with a 3rd gen.

My 99 has the tall coils and people often ask me what kind of "lift kit" I have on it. :rolleyes: I've sometimes thought it might be nice to put an OME 2" "lift" onto the 4runner just for the higher quality components (most likely it would not lift my truck very much at all because I have the tall coils on it.)

Also I believe some of the earlier 3rd gens (96-97 maybe) came with 15" wheels (though that may have been "base" models only, while SR5 and Limited models got the 16s.) Mine has 16" and I think that became standard after 1998 or 1999. Stock tire size with the 16" wheels was 265/70/16 and the difference between 265/70 and 265/75 is negligible (maybe half an inch.)

troyboy162

Adventurer
x3 whats been said. the truck completly stock with 265/75/16 can take you exploring anywhere. only if you intend on hitting hard trails for the sake of hard trails will you likly need anything more. I was happy exploring with 32" and its a huge bang for the buck configuration. I run 35" now but only because i like the local rock trails.

exploring on 32"
14242336.jpg

14241887.jpg

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I bought my 4Runner with it's OME suspension. It has enough lift for 33"s, but I chose to run 32"s. You don't need a lift. I often wish mine was not lifted.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Yep, my advice is less is more. I did Icon fronts and Bilstein rears with 265/75/16. I borrowed some coils from SOAZ with the intention of waiting to see if I wanted to upgrade to OME medium or heavy. Honestly haven't needed the upgrade. I don't do heavy rockcrawling or even heavy trails anymore. I did also change out the rear bumpstops and that made for a more pleasant ride. But really, you don't need to do much to these trucks.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire

I agree completely.

If you run tires larger then 265/75/R16 you have exceeded the point of diminishing returns. Larger then that size will require increasingly significant and expensive modification for decreasingly significant gains in capability... all at the expense of reliability and easy of service.

As Heidi said, less is more. These trucks don't need much. Give it a little lift, a little armor, and possibly a rear locker and call it a day. Spend the extra bucks doing what you bought the truck for!

rc51kid

Adventurer
Thanks guys this info is really helpful. I really do believe that “less is more” with a lot of things in life. I really want to keep the truck simple and functional. It sounds like with 32s, a rear locker and maybe skid plates I should be able to do what I want. Although it is not as “cool”, I would probably get more use out of a refrigerator and sleeping system than suspension lift. But on the same note I would hate to be in the middle of Alaska and get stuck because I cheeped out on suspension. Thanks again, keep the info and opinions coming.

One more question, is it he 98,99 or the 99,00 that has the tall suspension? Also I have read that the electronics in the AWD transfer case can be expensive and a problem to replace. When did they add that to the Limited models? Was it just 01,02 or did the 00 have it? Is it a good idea to avoid these?

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
99 was the tall year.

If I had to choose between a fridge and suspension, I would choose the fridge. It's one of the most useful things we've ever bought. If you have ever had your ice melt and water get into your food, you'll appreciate it right away.

And...I drove to and from Alaska and lived there for 3 years on 30" tires and a stock Jeep Wrangler. You don't need a lift to explore.

Applejack

Explorer
I agree with everything that has been said but I would like to add this caveat about the 4runner's stock suspension. I will make that claim that if you are going to carry any extra weight in the back and do some off roading, the rear coils need to be changed out in favor of something more firm. Even with just my dog in the back my rear suspension would bottom out on large speed bumps. I feel the front could be improved as well. Yes it is fine for most things, but it is a little mushy in the corners.

CYi5

Explorer
Thanks guys this info is really helpful. I really do believe that “less is more” with a lot of things in life. I really want to keep the truck simple and functional. It sounds like with 32s, a rear locker and maybe skid plates I should be able to do what I want. Although it is not as “cool”, I would probably get more use out of a refrigerator and sleeping system than suspension lift. But on the same note I would hate to be in the middle of Alaska and get stuck because I cheeped out on suspension. Thanks again, keep the info and opinions coming.

One more question, is it he 98,99 or the 99,00 that has the tall suspension? Also I have read that the electronics in the AWD transfer case can be expensive and a problem to replace. When did they add that to the Limited models? Was it just 01,02 or did the 00 have it? Is it a good idea to avoid these?

99 is the usual sure bet for tall coils.

The electronics in the AWD transfercase only seem to be a problem with 01-02 due to their full time design. 99-00 limiteds have selectable AWD, 4hi + 4lo, and optional rear locker. 99-00 are often sought after models for this reason. Limited models with 16" alloys packaged with the rear locker typically come with 4.30 gear sets as well, a smidge more than the usual 4.10.

I have Icons front and rear which ride awesome, however, if I were to do it again, OME is a more maintenance free setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior