3rd gen 4Runner tire size question

huntsonora

Explorer
I recently picked up a one owner 1997 4runner with 175k on it. It has the 3.4, 5 speed and rear e-locker.

I’m going with the Old Man Emu suspension and am wondering about which tire size to go with. I’m thinking Cooper ST Maxx in either 235/85/16 or 245/75/16

The weight difference is only 2 pounds and wanted to get your opinions as to which size you all would go with. Would the taller 235/85 fit where the spare goes?

I spend most of my time on dirt roads and ranch roads in some pretty unforgiving country. This is the first Toyota with the 3.4 that I’ve owned and don’t want to kill my mpg. I expect to take a hit but I don’t want to kill it

Thanks!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
You like Pizza cutters I see.

I'm not much help but I run 265/75/16 with no normal clearance issues (my particular runner has an issue which has caused rubbing, but a normally aligned one should not.)

235/85/16 should be about the same diameter. You should be able to fit the spare, mine is tight but fits, I also have an aftermarket tow hitch that cramps it, an OEM tow hitch is more roomy under there, so keep that in mind.

Here is some relevant reading materials:

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/235-85-16-on-3rd-gen-4runner.138324/

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/123187-235-85-16-who-runs-pizza-cutters.html

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I run 235/85R16 on a 2nd gen Tacoma. It's only a 32" tall tire and 9.5" if you're lucky. I can't imagine you'd have any trouble fitting it in the spare location.

It's probably the limit of what I'm happy with fit-wise and gear ratio wise. People run them on stock trucks so you probably won't have any clearance issues. Typically 33" or larger is where you need to start worrying on a Toyota. That's usually the practical limit where a trim of plastic fender liners or something similarly easy is all you have to do.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You might notice but it's not tremendous. They'll probably only be an inch taller than what your truck had stock (I assume you have 265/70R16), so about 3% larger diameter. More than this starts to hurt but OTOH you'll have a little bit of extra overdrive for the highway so it's not an unusual jump up in tire size. Being an inch narrower helps too, although being E-rated and heavy is probably what really makes the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles