3rd Gen 4Runner Tech Question

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I'm not a mechanical person so pardon my possibly basic question, it's probably not even specific to Toyota. Although, I've become quite the expert at replacing passenger side CV axles (that's a separate mystery tho). I started driving my 4Runner (D.A.V.e) again a couple of days ago after it sat for about 6 months. When I parked it everything was fine, now, the steering is whack.
I drove home approximately 7 miles, no issues. The next day, I'm diving to work and I get the uneasy feeling that the steering wheel didn't have much to do with the direction the vehicle was traveling in, and suddenly, I needed to turn the wheel 1/4 turn to the left to keep it traveling straight. Last night, I'm driving home and the steering wheel is back to center, then at one point, things seem drifty again and I'm back to the 1/4 turn to the left to stay straight on the road. This morning, I drive to work steering wheel is true again, gets drifty again, but this time, I got to turn a 1/8 turn to the RIGHT to keep straight. By the end of my commute, the wheel is back to center. It's those terrifying couple of seconds of transition that I'm not having fun with. I'm a bit sensitive to steering issues ever since I was driving a classic Pontiac on the freeway and the steering wheel became completely disconnected after some pin fell out, good times, but another story.

This is what I know of the condition. D.A.V.e and I have been marooned in South Florida since 2013 so there's been no offroad, and has hardly been driven since 9/2016 when I bought my 2007 WK CRD.

In 2013 I had a new steering rack installed.
In 2014 I had new lower control arms, new end links and various parts and peices, installed as part of a $5k overhaul of multiple mechanical issues.
In 2016, I had new tires and an alignment done
In the 9 months of 2016 I had to replace the passenger side cv axles 3 times the axle that's on there now needs to be replaced too and it's one of those spendy Toyota ones. For two years I had the truck in UT, I never had to replace the axles beyond when I initially bought the truck, and I went offroad all the time. The NAPA axle on the driver side is still the one I put on in 2011. It seemed like bombing through the desert was ok, but an 8 mile on road commute in flat FL is tearing up CVs
I know that the upper ball joints need replacing, I did buy the Toyota parts months ago, but I've been spending too much $ on the WK to allocate funds for installation. They do have ALOT of play, could this cause steering issues before the death and destruction issues?

Thanks in advance.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
OK, I went out into the parking lot, started 'er up, and then turned the wheel left and right while keeping and eye on the front wheel (while parked). When I turn left, there's an acceptable 1" or so play before I see the wheel move. When I turn right, there is an unacceptable 5-6" of play before I see the wheel move. There is no noise or clunks.
I know this isn't the most scientific method, but there's definitely something going on here.

Adventurous

Explorer
I assume you've checked to make sure that everything that is supposed to be tight is tight (LCA bolts, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, wheel hub, UCA ball joint, UCA bolt, steering rack bolts, steering rack bushings, steering shaft joints, etc...)?

Last edited:

dms1

Explorer
I would check the bolts that hold the lower A ARMs on as they also adjust camber and if they came loose they could be shifting while you drive. The only other thing I can think of is to check where the steering wheel shaft connects to the steering rack.

Edited to add, it could be possible the steering rack bolts have come loose as well.

pluton

Adventurer
Steering rack sliding side to side would give the exact symptoms you describe. Worth it, I think, to have a shop...one that allows you to go underneath... put it up on a real lift and check things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior