3rd Gen. 4Runner - shock question

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Hello all,

I've done some thread searching here on the forum, and have come across a ton of information regarding the "rear sag" on many of the 3rd Gen. 4Runners, but most go on to add a lift or are looking for a taller stance.

On my fiancee's 2000 4Runner the sag is pretty bad, but it is a 2wd, and there's just no sense in looking for any sort of lift. How can I repair the sag on my own in the most economical way? Toyota wants 165$ per side just in labor, and that seems a little much to me. What shocks would you guys replace to get it back to a stock stance and remove the sag? Do the coils need to be replaced in the rear as well?

ovrlnd lite

Throw some Airlift brand airbags in each rear spring. Keep them aired up between 10 - 25 psi and call it a day. The Air Lift 1000 kit is about $100 and take an hour or so to install.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I have bags/new coils under my '97, and it seems to work fine. I just don't know enough about fixing this sort of thing. Is it not better to put on new shocks?:coffeedrink:

Thanks for your reply.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
99 coils

Go with bags or find you a set of the 99 tall coils. Not sure how handy you are with a wrench but that’d be what I’d go with.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
but is it the coil or the shock itself that has failed? Trying to correct the sag. Got some prices from the local advance auto on some shocks, but I want to be sure that i am correcting the problem.

Arktikos

Explorer
And those moogs should fit right up?

They do. I used them both front and back on my 2001 and my quite pleased with the results.

It rides so much better now, especially in front, though new shocks in front probably deserve most of the credit. Front coils are a job because you must compress the coil springs to take off and put back on, but with the rears you just relieve spring tension by lifting the vehicle and pull them out.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
They do. I used them both front and back on my 2001 and my quite pleased with the results.

It rides so much better now, especially in front, though new shocks in front probably deserve most of the credit. Front coils are a job because you must compress the coil springs to take off and put back on, but with the rears you just relieve spring tension by lifting the vehicle and pull them out.

Is the installation something I can handle by myself? Just planning on doing the rear coils and shocks, based on what everyone has said. Do I need shocks? Any recommendations?

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Would love to see your setup, I'm back in Georgia until after Christmas.

Just let me know, I'm in Smyrna; Atlanta basically. Definitely replace the shocks as well since you'll already be into it. I'm not a fan of the upper mounts but it is what it is. Keep it simple and work with what you have.

Arktikos

Explorer
Is the installation something I can handle by myself? Just planning on doing the rear coils and shocks, based on what everyone has said. Do I need shocks? Any recommendations?

You may not need shocks. Depends if they're still functioning properly or not. Yes, you can do it yourself. All that is necessary to droop the suspension far enough in the rear is to disconnect the swaybar and the bottom shock mount. Moog suspension parts are usually the most expensive OEM replacement brand to be found at parts stores, due to their superior quality. I've never heard of these coils failing. For shocks, I put KYB's on the front of mine and love them. The rears had recently been replaced prior to my purchase, so left them alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior