3rd Gen 4Runner hood black-out

digitalferg

Adventurer
Threw this vinyl hood black-out on my 4runner the other day. Worked with Trevor (Isotel over on IH8Mud--not sure if he's on here as well...) from Crawlorado.com to get this made up for my 4Runner. He hadn't done any for the 3rd Gen at all yet so this was the first. I think it needs to be a few inches longer, possibly down to where the hood contoured lines start. Could possibly be a slight bit wider as well perhaps... I like it though.

They currently have them available for a few other vehicles as well. I had one of them on my old 80 series Cruiser.

-Ferg-

hoodblackout3-4runner.jpg

hoodblackout2-4runner.jpg

hoodblackout1-4runner.jpg

SilverBullet

Explorer
I am asking too, what is the purpose? Living in AZ we have white cars adn whiete on the roofs of trucks, why black. Is it needed in colder climates?

SeattleMike

Observer
I am asking too, what is the purpose? Living in AZ we have white cars adn whiete on the roofs of trucks, why black. Is it needed in colder climates?

Back when I grew up in Southern California, I would have had the same question. But living and driving in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana taught me some harsh lessons about the angles of the sun during summer up here.

On the rare occasion that my hood is clean and shiny, the glare on a sunny, summer day is blinding.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
ok dumb question but what is the purpose?

On a 3rd gen 4runner, I'm not sure. I've never noticed that I get reflections off the hood. Because the hood has a slight curve to it, any reflection will be small.

Now, my 1st gen Monty, with it's big flat hood, holy crap that thing would blind me when the sun was low! I finally got frustrated and just rattlecanned the whole hood black. Looked redneck as hell but it worked.

RALLY15.jpg

RALLY05.jpg

Flat hood + shiny paint = bad reflections! Scouts, flat-fender Jeeps, Land Rovers, FJ60's, etc, have all had this problem.

mires

Adventurer
Hmm I have never even considered that being an issue in those vehicles. You learn something new every day. Looks pretty cool too !!

laxtoy

Adventurer
having only lived in the pac nw, i never saw it as an issue, but that may be what happens when you move here from somewhere else. i think it is more the fact the sun itself is blinding when you are only used to 7 shades of gray ;)

mires

Adventurer
having only lived in the pac nw, i never saw it as an issue, but that may be what happens when you move here from somewhere else. i think it is more the fact the sun itself is blinding when you are only used to 7 shades of gray ;)

Haha well I must admit I am a bit jealous of the weather that you are used to. I always wanted to visit the Seattle area. Of course I am from Texas. We seek relief in the summer :sombrero:

SilverBullet

Explorer
I am now educated, thanks. I never had that problem on my 87 4Runner or my 98, but that was due to paint and design, respectivly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles