3rd Gen 22re Pickup. TAT and TET slow budget build.

Thoryota

Observer
I have been slowly building my 1994 Toyota pickup into my dream expedition truck. Planing on running part of the TAT and TET next year with a buddy and his 4wd Tercel wagon using this truck.(The Tercel is pictured in the 5th picture). I have always wanted a 4x4 Toyota with a 22re since I was a little kid and was finally able to get one a few years ago. In fact it took me 5 years of bugging my neighbor to sell me his. He bought a really nice TJ Jeep and his wife said the yota has to go. So with that said my dream truck was finally in my possession.

Ever since I was a little kid I wanted a Toyota pickup I wanted one set up to explore and live out of. I guess seeing the Hilux's in Australia on tv influenced this idea. Now that I have the perfect platform to start my build I set off. The first thing I did to the truck was ad a roll bar. I have always liked the way a roll bar made the back to the future Toyota look. I will be removing it in the next year as I add on to the truck. After the roll bar I bought a Trail-Gear rear bumper for my birthday. I figured since its my birthday I should by the truck a present. The Trail-Gear bumper has proven itself valuable in the woods here in North Carolina.

Next I decided to ad some protection to the frontend of the truck. After a year and half of searching I found a Warn Rockcrawler bumper on Craigslist for 300 dollars. This is the exact bumper I was looking for. I really like ARB bumpers but I wanted something a little different. The Warn was not a one person install job. After bribing my boss with lunch we got the 250lb chunk of steel mounted to the truck. A month after installing it I had to pull it back off to install the 12,000lb Badlands winch. This time it took 3 of us to man handle the beast. Was well worth it though.

Next modification was a new set of tires and wheels. While searching Craigslist one day I found a set of 15x7 Tacoma wheels with some 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Duratracs. They were used but lasted long enough to get me through till this summer. I loved the Duratracs and will be getting another set of them some day. The current tire is a 32x11.50x15 Kenda Klever MT. They are doing pretty good so far. No rubbing with the stock suspension and 15x7 rims. I will be getting the OME suspension lift in the next year or two to raise the truck a couple inches.

Parts list so far:
Free 1980's mini truck roll bar.
Trail-Gear rear bumper
Warn Rockcrawler front bumper with optional grill guard hoop.
Trail-Gear tube doors for the real nice days.
Badland Winches 12,000lb winch. Works good for what I do. Plus it was on sale.
Warn receiver shackle.
Hi-lift jack. (need to figure out better mounting)
Low Range Off Road shift knobs.
Toyota Tercel Bucket seats with ammo can center console.
OME steering stabilizer.
Low profile bump stops. (Trying to squeeze all I can out of the stock IFS)
Over sized radiator to help cool the 22re.
32x11.50x15 Kenda Klever MT's on 15x7 Tacoma wheels.

Future mods include:
PIAA driving lights on the front bumper.
Camper shell and sleeping platform with storage built in.
Rear dual swing out tire carrier and dual jerry can holder.
CB radio.
Sliders. Ether homemade or some Trail Gear units.
Budbuilt single transfer case skid plate and front skid plate.
ARB air lockers and 4.88 gears.
Install the differential breathers I have been holding onto for a year.
Snorkel.
OME lift to help clear the 32's a little better.

First picture is how it looked the day I bought it. The last two pictures is how it currently sits.

Thanks for looking. I will be adding on to the build in the next year as we prepare for the TAT and TET next fall. It will be a slow build so just bear with me and be patient. Please feel free to comment or ask questions. Thanks.

Attachments

• toyota day 1 #2.jpg
    toyota day 1 #2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 122
  • trail gear bumper toyota 2.jpg
    trail gear bumper toyota 2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 93
  • warn bumper.jpg
    warn bumper.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 96
  • toyota warn bumper mud full truck.jpg
    toyota warn bumper mud full truck.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 100
  • truck and turdcell flex.jpg
    truck and turdcell flex.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 110
  • toyota bridge.jpg
    toyota bridge.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 104
  • yota tube doors rock.jpg
    yota tube doors rock.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 99
  • yota being awesome 4.jpg
    yota being awesome 4.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 113

Thoryota

Observer
Thanks Cruizerbent. You got a sweet 3rd gen runner in your avatar. Kinda partial to those as well. Have one sitting in the yard with 213,000 miles. When ever I finish the truck (if that ever happens) it will be next to get modified.

Thoryota

Observer
Really nice! I'm a big fan of 22RE trucks and Tercel wagons also.

Thanks tanglefoot. I love a 22re even if they are slow on the highway. I love it when people tell me "hey your engine sounds like its about to blow because of all that ticking". I just tell them "its a 22re thats just what they do. They sound like a sewing machine". Baffles them everytime.

I am trying to convince my buddy Jon with the Tercel to start a build documenting all he has done to it. Its probably enough to fill a couple pages. If something can be done it he has done it to that car.

Thoryota

Observer
Not much of an update on the build but I got to practice my duct taping skills 30 miles from home early last week. The hose has since been replaced with a new one. The old hose lasted exactly 247,005 miles.

Attachments

• 12032232_813309778787627_8782009292527041755_n.jpg
    12032232_813309778787627_8782009292527041755_n.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 62

Thoryota

Observer
Picked up another set of 15x7'' Tacoma rims with center caps and lug nuts for 100 dollars last night. I have been looking for almost a year for another full set and lucked up last night. I am going to mount my spare 32x11.50x15 that I have been holding onto for over a year on one of them. Next I will be build the rear spare tire carrier to hold it.

Attachments

• yota taco wheels.jpg
    yota taco wheels.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 55

Thoryota

Observer
Picked up this set of 15x8 full size Jeep wheels with trim rings and center caps for $100 dollars. Going to run 31x10.50x15 Duratracs on these once the 32x11.50's wear out.

Attachments

• yota jeep wheels.jpg
    yota jeep wheels.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 65

Thoryota

Observer
Got around to mounting the PIAA lights on the bumper. Been raining the last 2 weeks straight so I haven't got around to wiring them yet. These are a flood beam and will be great to see the deer standing in the ditch before he try's to play chicken with my truck.

Attachments

• yota lights.jpg
    yota lights.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 48

Kymcmahon5

Observer
Nice truck man. I just picked up a dirty used warn bumper. Just need to get hardware for it before I can put it on.

501505bf-3e59-4cb5-b306-5c62b70fc097_zpsw7vngagp.jpg

Thoryota

Observer
Thanks Kymcmahon5. Your going to like that bumper. I know I like mine. Use it as a table, and a work bench all the time working on my truck. Use the grill hoop as a place to sit all the time. Warn will sell you just the hardware for the bumper. Its not the cheapest thing ever though. The hardware is half the cost of the bumper new, at least it was a year ago when I checked the price. If you need pictures of how the brackets and everything go together just let me know and I will post them.

Kymcmahon5

Observer
It came with the brackets and a bunch of bolts that are different size so hopefully it will be easy to find the right bolts and get it mounted. I sure like how it looks with the grill guard! If you could post a couple mounting pictures, that would be awesome man

Thoryota

Observer
Well being that I cant figure out how to post pictures from my phone on here I am just going to have to explain how this thing mounts to your truck Kymcmahon5. The main mounting brackets are left and right side only. They mount to the truck using the two holes on the core support (2 bolts per side, also uses to shims to space the bracket off of the core support), two bolts on the side of the frame (smaller bolts than the core support), and then three holes on the bottom side of the frame. Be careful removing the factory tow hooks off of the frame because you can strip the holes. I have done this on my truck and it wasnt fun. The bottom side of the bumper bracket uses the 3 holes (first two are for the two hooks). You can reuse the tow hooks with the bumper brackets.

The bumper uses two rectangle shaped shims for the front of the core support. Then for the inside of the bumper mounting bracket there should be 6 shims (3 per side) for the 3 horizontal mounting bolts. These shims are square with 3 holes and has a tab on the side with 2 holes. These are to center the bumper left to right if needed. (I didnt need to use any on my bumper). The bottom of the mounting brackets uses 4 carriage bolts (2 per side). I mounted mine with the round head on the inside of the bumper. (If you dont do this you will never get the bolts tight with the winch mounted). The sides of the mounting brackets use 6 carriage bolts (3 per side). Put the rounded side of the bolts facing out towards the outside of the bumper. (There are square holes that will hold the head of the bolt in place). Reuse the factory turn signal lights out of the factory bumper. You might have to get some clips for the screws to go in being that there is no threads on the mounting tabs.

This should help you Kymcmahon5. If you could send me a picture of all your brackets, bolts and tabs so I can see if everything is there or not.

Thoryota

Observer
Scored these Cragar Soft 8's at a junkyard last week. 15x8 with a 4.5'' backspacing. I need to find one more for my spare tire.

Attachments

• yota soft 8's.jpg
    yota soft 8's.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 61

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke