3FE Supporters (Enter here)

AndrewP

Explorer
ChuckB-
I have done the H55f swap into my 60, so can tell you a bit about that. I cruised at 65 before the swap at 3000rpm, and cruise at 65mph after the swap. The difference is the comfort level in the cabin with the quieter motor.

It is possible to go faster-I've been to 75 mph but it negates much of the good of the swap. I did run down to Pismo Beach at 70mph for several hours and it was ok, but the motor is really near the limit of it's ability to push the big box, and 65 just feels better. So bottom line-you could cruise up to 75 mph, but you won't want to.

Here is the business end:

Attachments

• tranny3.jpg
    tranny3.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 25

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Andrew,

I'm glad to hear the perspective from someone with a 2f and h55. How is the power in 5th when you hit an incline on the freeway? Do you find yourself having to downshift frequently? What size tires and gears are you running?

AndrewP

Explorer
Virtually any incline will mean a downshift out of 5th. That's totally normal. There just isn't enough horsepower to go fast up a grade.

I'm running 4.11 gears, and 33 inch BFG MTs (which I hate). That brings my effective final drive near stock. It feels just right.

The stock gears and 31s are ok. 32s will feel weak. 33s suck. I'd either change gears or change tires if you get an H55. i.e., do the driveline right.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I know what you mean... with my 32's and stock gears I struggle to hold 50 on some of the steeper grades around San Diego. I will definitely pay special attention to the gears, and tires choices when I get to this point.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
This thread makes me dream of ways to spend lots of $$$$, why are there so many like this on this damn site!!:p Good stuff guys.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
upcruiser said:
This thread makes me dream of ways to spend lots of $$$$, why are there so many like this on this damn site!!:p Good stuff guys.

What do you mean??

This whole site is just a free lesson on how to spend $$$$;)

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
The more info I get the more $$$ I want to spend :Wow1: I'm starting to go insane or have I already...

T-Willy

Hltoppr,

How do you think 65-70mph would be with the H55f? The problem here in Socal is if you aren't going atleast 75 you are probably going to get run over!! I don't need to go that fast but 55 is probably not going to cut it for safety reasons.

Scott,

Thanks for the info that is good to know. I'm going to do some more research in this department. The diesel is still an option that I am not totally ruling out yet. The only real issue that I have read about with the Toyota diesels is parts. Obvoiusly, you don't need them very often, but still something to consider.

Old thread, but Chuck, I'm wondering: Did you ever do the H55f / 3FE combo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94