37's vs 40's for Fuso FG Build

rruff

Explorer
curious what tire will roll best but still hold up off road.

Pretty huge differences in tire rolling resistance among ATs and MTs and since it isn't measured typically, it's a crap shoot. Generally, rolling and durability will be at odds, especially durable and stiff sidewalls. Greater width and larger diameter are better for rolling resistance even on the road, but high profile is a negative (37s on 20" rims are slightly better than on 17" for instance), but offroad you may want more sidewall.

I can say that the Hankook ATMs I have (35x13) are outstanding for low rolling resistance; better than the stock street tires... but I have some sidewall cuts, though none that deep.

yabanja

Explorer
What width are most of you running? 12.5 or 13?
curious what tire will roll best but still hold up off road. I have the older 3.3 motor so thinking I should stick to 35s for power sake but man mine is geared soooo low. I hit 2700 rpm at around 55. I am wondering if some years are geared lower or higher?
Most of the modern trucks(mine included) have a 5.75 ratio which works well with 35 or 37 inch tires.

I have run BFG Comp AT 's which were not round from the beginning and vibrated horribly. Then ran a set of pro-comp A/T which worked well enough but were a little squirmy at high speed in the gravel. I currently have yokohama x-at tires. They are a more agressive all terrain. Very happy with them. They are quiet on the freeway and have great soft condition traction.

Allan

Thanks for the recommendations! When you spend 2500 on tires it’s best to ask all the questions. I am picking up a set of used cooper ST Pros tomorrow for a couple hundred. Going to throw them on and see how the 37s feel power and RPM wise. Has anyone used balance beads in their wheels? Most of the reviews say they work well, seems like a good option for such a big tire.

yabanja

Explorer
Thanks for the recommendations! When you spend 2500 on tires it’s best to ask all the questions. I am picking up a set of used cooper ST Pros tomorrow for a couple hundred. Going to throw them on and see how the 37s feel power and RPM wise. Has anyone used balance beads in their wheels? Most of the reviews say they work well, seems like a good option for such a big tire.

That is exactly what I did! Initially I picked up a set of used 37's to try them out.

I use stainless steel balance beads. They work very well.

Allan

rockland213

I've been following this thread and I think I'm settling on the Toyo ATIII 37x12.50-18 I am going to build my own wheels again and I think I'll buy two piece wheels from Hey Wheel and recenter them.

Java joe
I have looked at making wheels also for my Fuso . I was going to use the 16x10 wheel shells from Hey Wheel but not sure about welding and how true I can get them with the center being so close to the bend in the rim.
can you share your thoughts on how you are going to use the 2 pc rims?

javajoe79

Fabricator
Java joe
I have looked at making wheels also for my Fuso . I was going to use the 16x10 wheel shells from Hey Wheel but not sure about welding and how true I can get them with the center being so close to the bend in the rim.
can you share your thoughts on how you are going to use the 2 pc rims?
I’ve recentered a set of humvee wheels already. It’s not too bad. I did my best to clamp the pieces together and tack weld everything while checking for run out with a dial indicator. It takes some time but turned out well. I don’t have a drawing of the Hey wheels yet but I’ll ask them for it soon. Then I’ll measure my axles and decide on final wheel specs. Then I can figure out if the hey wheels will work. I’ll share the process when I get there but if i can answer any other questions just ask.

Seems a bit strange they don’t have 17s guessing it’s not used in aircraft applications?

Not sure even with a recenter that you could make the back spacing line up for the front and the rear?

Trailworthy now has all the specs for the 6 lug and 5 lug for building super singles? Should be getting mine in a couple weeks.

rockland213

Seems a bit strange they don’t have 17s guessing it’s not used in aircraft applications?

Not sure even with a recenter that you could make the back spacing line up for the front and the rear?

Trailworthy now has all the specs for the 6 lug and 5 lug for building super singles? Should be getting mine in a couple weeks.

I have tried to get ahold of trail worthy but they have not returned my e-mail or called me back

I’ve recentered a set of humvee wheels already. It’s not too bad.
how close were you able to get the backspacing with the humvee wheels?

javajoe79

Fabricator
I have tried to get ahold of trail worthy but they have not returned my e-mail or called me back

how close were you able to get the backspacing with the humvee wheels?
I got them right where I wanted them but I also don't have Isuzu axles. Mine are Ford Super Duty

javajoe79

Fabricator
I ordered one wheel from Hey so I can play around with fitment. The 18x9 bolt together wheel is only $175 without a center in it. I've already drawn my centers in cad and will have one laser cut soon. Looking at 37" tires there was a good variety of tires available in 37x12.50-18 that are E load rated. I think I will probably end up with the Toyo Open Country AT III to keep the noise and rolling resistance down.

javajoe79

Fabricator
I think that's not a bad idea. 18s or 20s are really the right wheel size for heavier rigs anymore.
I have considered recentering military surplus HEMTT 20" wheels
I was looking at those too. They're WAY stronger than needed here but they're cheap. Hey wheel has 20s also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles