37's vs 40's for Fuso FG Build

Yeah I guess that is not gonna hurt the ride much more than it already does. Do these need a diff drop? Really would prefer to just slap on the 37s but if I have to lift it 3 inches it’s not the end of the world. Does this look lifted already at all?

Attachments

• 61D43DC4-6637-46B6-B87C-B130A5811139.jpeg
    61D43DC4-6637-46B6-B87C-B130A5811139.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 5149D2CC-1B9E-4598-A47E-C7FCEA450680.jpeg
    5149D2CC-1B9E-4598-A47E-C7FCEA450680.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 33

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Looks pretty standard for an FG.
You have to remember, the front of an FG is higher than an FE, which gives it clearance between the sump and the pumpkin. The FG also has a different sump pan, for the same reason.

The reason I want to go with 37s is because I can get Humvee wheels re-centered for my 5 lug. I want to go this way so that I can always get another wheel made as not many are supplying the five lugs anymore. They are also going to cost less than 3000 for 5 tires 90% worn and 5 re- centered wheels. Been talking with trail worthy about this package and it seems it will work fine. But I have to first build out the pop up box on the back and that’s where most of my budget is going. My wife and I just sold our house and are planning to travel a good bit so we are building this rig.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Just be mindful that these trucks are definitely not what could be considered power houses.

If you up the size of the wheels/tyres you will get better speeds on the highway, but probably only on the flats. When you hit a hill you will know it, as you will be dropping down through the gears. Speed daemons these trucks are not.
The off-road capability can also be affected, as your gearing will not be as low as it is on standard sized tyres.

Having said all of that, putting 37's on these trucks is common here. On my truck I run 35.5" tyres, which I consider to be a "best of both worlds" setup, for better highway speeds while not losing too much in low range.
@Aussie Iron (Dan) can probably give you more information on what works and what doesn't, as he is much more familiar with these older trucks than I am.

As for the rims... other than fitting an appropriate 5 bolt centre, can they change the rim offset too?
If you don't know, the super singles that are normally fitted to these trucks modify the track so that it is the same for the back and front, which is better for going off-road.
You use the same rim front and back, which means that they get flipped. The front rim is mounted on the deep side of the rim and on the rear the rim is mounted on the shallow side.

I'ts definitely not madatory to have the same track front and back, but it is better if you do. That's kind of the point for changing to super singles.

FGwannaB

I just did Gladiator 37 tires on super singles and hill speed went from stable to sloooooooow. I'd probably do 35's if i had to do it over.

rruff

Explorer
I just did Gladiator 37 tires on super singles and hill speed went from stable to sloooooooow. I'd probably do 35's if i had to do it over.
The tire you pick makes a big difference as well. Those look like they'd be particularly harsh for rolling resistance.

Zuber

The Earth Cruiser's have 35's and are running about 12k lbs. With the 3.0L/Duonic you get reasonable speeds. Low enough gearing for anything you'd practically want to do off road. It will do 65 mph on the flats without feeling strained or over-reved. And, will climb any reasonable paved steep hill at 45 mph in 5th.
These come with Toyo MT's, if I replace them it will be AT's. AT's have the advantage everywhere and anywhere except mud.

Yeah 35s would be ideal but I can get the humvee 37s takeoffs for dirt cheap. Probably start there and just switch to a interco 35 if it’s way to slow. I don’t mind shifting down to 4th. Or is that just a bad idea in these trucks? I kinda look at 5th as an overdrive gear for the flat?

yabanja

Explorer
Yeah 35s would be ideal but I can get the humvee 37s takeoffs for dirt cheap. Probably start there and just switch to a interco 35 if it’s way to slow. I don’t mind shifting down to 4th. Or is that just a bad idea in these trucks? I kinda look at 5th as an overdrive gear for the flat?

Do yourself a favor and get all terrain tires. The military humvee tires are likely already well past their usable life time-wise. Current consensus is to replace tires every six years regardless of tread wear. They are also horribly heavy(much like the gladiators mentioned above) which will have a major effect on power, ride and braking. From your intended use stated in the other tire thread AT's will serve you much better.

As an side note, Earthcrusiers have switched to 37's now. At least in the states.

Allan

sackettmw

The tire you pick makes a big difference as well. Those look like they'd be particularly harsh for rolling resistance.
I think you are looking at the MTs. Gladiator also has an AT in 37". Probably the least aggressive tread available in a 37

chapelheel

As an side note, Earthcrusiers have switched to 37's now. At least in the states.

It might be worth noting that this is on their V8 Isuzu chassis with custom driveline (2-speed transfer case and DynaTrac 80 axles). As such it might not be an apples-to-apples comparison to the Fuso trucks.

Hey guys so I got my truck and am building out the camper. Trail worthy can now make a set of reversible rims that fit front and back. They are making me a set of 17s. Now I just have to figure out what tire I want to run.
If your interested give them a call
Todd is the owner (316) 641-2950
getting them with an internal bead lock and rock rings for a great price. Probably only good info for the US based guys but he might ship overseas.
I am thinking I might go with the
Toyo mt 37

yabanja

Explorer
Hey guys so I got my truck and am building out the camper. Trail worthy can now make a set of reversible rims that fit front and back. They are making me a set of 17s. Now I just have to figure out what tire I want to run.
If your interested give them a call
Todd is the owner (316) 641-2950
getting them with an internal bead lock and rock rings for a great price. Probably only good info for the US based guys but he might ship overseas.
I am thinking I might go with the
Toyo mt 37

The toys MT 37 is a great option. Not sure if this is an issue but rock rings are unlikely to fit when reversed over the front drums.

Allan

What width are most of you running? 12.5 or 13?
curious what tire will roll best but still hold up off road. I have the older 3.3 motor so thinking I should stick to 35s for power sake but man mine is geared soooo low. I hit 2700 rpm at around 55. I am wondering if some years are geared lower or higher?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles