37" Tire Suggestions

D45

Explorer
Getting new rims is out of the question...... that will cost way too much

Plus I love my BMF rims

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
The Toyos are beasts and are heavier due to their stronger construction. Kent Kroeker years ago from Kore completed the Baja 1000 without a flat and drove the vehicle home. Overkill for the average guy but diesels are so heavy.

i agree they are tough, but on anything but a diesel ride quality suffers with the added unsprung weight

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
If you're willing/able to go down on rim size, the Toyo MT in size 37x13.50R17 (part# 360270) is a load range E, has 4300 lbs load capacity, generally balance very well & cost about $380. That's what I use on a heavy diesel Ford Excursion. The only downside I have found is that I have to run at the max 65 psi on the street to maintain lateral stability under heavy braking at high speed (e.g. emergency stop on freeway). Under heavy braking at high speed at say 50 psi tire pressure (what I tried at first), the truck could move as much as a foot in lateral distance towards the lanes on either side. Offsetting that is that I don't experience the same issue when I run the tires at max tire pressure, the ride is still comfortable & 20 inches of sidewall (37" tire - 17" rim) makes for good bruise resistance & comfort when off roading.

yeah, selling 20's in exchange for 17's seems like you could be ahead money and a 17 is a way better wheel size for a truck that sees dirt, its nice to have some sidewall as opposed to a giant sports car low pro that you get on a 20" rim

xbox73

Adventurer
Getting new rims is out of the question...... that will cost way too much

Plus I love my BMF rims

With good quality, high load rating Method rims available at about $160/rim, you'd be about even money for 17" rims + tires vs. 20" tires for the first set of tires, and money ahead at every successive set, not including any money you could potentially recoup by selling your used BMFs. If your rig sees nearly all of its time on road, a lower sidewall height may be an advantage due to lower sidewall squirm.

RangeBrover

Explorer
I'm a big fan of the BFG KM2's, they are easily the quietest M/T on the highway and they handle great off road. I've had them on the Land Cruiser and now on the Jeep and they never miss a beat.

As far as balancing goes, just run some Dynabeads. Wheel weights are a pain at tires that big, and I can cruise 80 all day in the JK with the beads.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I'm a big fan of the BFG KM2's, they are easily the quietest M/T on the highway and they handle great off road. I've had them on the Land Cruiser and now on the Jeep and they never miss a beat.

I had Goodyear MT/R-Kevlars on mine before my BFG KM2s... the Kevlars were noticeably quieter. Unfortunately I had to get rid of them because they became very out of round (they were warrantied... too bad, they were awesome tires otherwise).
My KM2s were a full half-inch short of their stated size, but otherwise I've been happy with them. Except for it's vulnerability to chunking, I did prefer BFG's KM(1) tire over the KM2 (somewhat closer to size, quieter, better looks).

Of the three mentioned in the OP, I'd probably lean toward the Toyo MT. I'd have them myself but in my size they were unusually wide, so I had to pass fearing they wouldn't fit my wheels well (15x8").

bahndo

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
I'm running the Continental MPT 81's in a 37.4" tire. Narrower than you want (~10.5") I think but so far I'm happy with them.
ram on 37's.jpg

I had some STT's on my 4runner in colorado a couple years ago, they were total **** in ice and snow until I got them siped. after that they were super grippy.

Dratwagon

Adventurer
To start off with some of my best friend's are in the tire business, one of them is an expert and through him I have met almost all the editors in the 4x4 world and when they need help they call on him, I'm looking at the same size tire as you with a full size rig as well, the tire that I'm waiting on is the Nitto Terra Grappler G2, but they will not be available till after the first of the year, now since you have 20"wheels and I have 17" wheels you might want to look at the new Nitto Exo Grapplers, now as far as wheels I like 17s and the 17" H2s can be had for 3 or 400 dollars a set and you get a smoother ride but with the 20s will give you a more firmer and stable ride on the highway.

All n all its your call, good luck.

Last edited:

D45

Explorer
I ran them before, two different sets (ATs and MTs) with different trucks.....even with regular rotation they wore bad and I think they are over priced

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

As far as balancing goes, just run some Dynabeads. Wheel weights are a pain at tires that big, and I can cruise 80 all day in the JK with the beads.
They are quiet looking at the tread pattern. That being said the big trucks chew those up quickly and balancing is an issue.
However,I saw the new BFG KO 2's firsthand before they went to Baja and the driver's were ecstatic afterward. They were mounted on everything but a full sized truck. The ones I saw were 315-70-16 with a whopping 3900# E rating. Balancing went well too. Petersen's 4wheel really liked them.

Last edited:

RangeBrover

Explorer
They are quiet looking at the tread pattern. That being said the big trucks chew those up quickly and balancing is an issue.
However,I saw the new BFG KO 2's firsthand before they went to Baja and the driver's were ecstatic afterward. They were mounted on everything but a full sized truck. The ones I saw were 315-70-16 with a whopping 3900# E rating. Balancing went well too. Petersen's 4wheel really liked them.

I've never had a issue balancing them but I've always used Dynabeads. I had over 45,000 miles on my 34" KM2's on the 200 Series Land Cruiser and they wore just fine with regular rotations every 5,000 miles.

I've got 35's on the JK now and no balancing or wear issues in the first 15k. Good to know that they don't do well on the big trucks though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles