35 gal fuel tank group buy

kmacafee

Adventurer
From what I can tell, the Hilux and Tacomas are virtually identical. Of course, they are right hand drive here and have the diesel engine.

My point was that tanks are being made for this truck abroad that would probably work and the cost, even with shipping would probably be more reasonable. There was no criticism intended -- just pointing out something I saw that was relevant.

I'll let the troll comment slide and chalk it up to ignorance.

Last edited:

Louisd75

Adventurer
From what I can tell, the Hilux and Tacomas are virtually identical. Of course, they are right hand drive here and have the diesel engine.

My point was that tanks are being made for this truck abroad that would probably work and the cost, even with shipping would probably be more reasonable.

I think that after factoring in shipping and the modifications needed to convert the mounting from a Hilux to Tacoma, you'd be pretty close in price to the one made in Oregon, especially if you weren't doing the work yourself. From the construction thread of the fuel tank:

cwvandy,
I had a Hilux LongRanger 140L tank shipped to me in Canada for my '07 Tacoma not long ago. When I went to install the tank I found that there are some minor differences in the mounting of the tank since the Hilux frame is different than the Tacoma. Unfortunately I didn't have time to fuss with it much and had to get the truck back on the road that day so I put the stock tank back in. The truck is my wife's daily driver so I can't have it off the road for long. A further wrench in the gears is that my work is moving me to another province in the very near future so I'm not going to be able to finish this project for a few months. From what I could see with the tank raised into position only a few minor modifications to the mounts will be necessary. Don't quote me on that though as it's not in there yet. I'll be sure to update you all on what exactly it took to get this thing in when it happens.

p.s. Don't ask how much it cost to ship from Australia. You don't want to know and I don't like to think about it.

Russ.

It'll be interesting to hear from Russ on how the install went. It would also be nice to see what kind of shipping costs he incurred.

I'm not sure why there is so much friction about this tank. Yes, you could buy a 100 gallon aluminum diamondplate transfer tank, but where would you put it? The bed of your truck? That's a lot of storage space to lose. It'd be very difficult to fit that anywhere under the truck forward of the rear axle. I'd be leery about putting that much weight in the spare tire location, and then you'd be displacing the rear tire to somewhere like a swingout, which adds even more weight behind the rear axle. To me, going to a larger bolt on tank in the original location makes much more sense than trying to piece something together with transfer pumps and hoses.

Not everyone needs the extra range all the time. For a dedicated exploration vehicle, it's a "nice to have" sort of thing, kind of like an electric winch over a hi-lift with a winch kit. I could see situations where it would be very nice insurance. Anyone know how many gas stations there are in Death Valley and how often it runs out? What about if you want to spend time exploring Humboldt-Toiyabe? Sure you can plan to pop back out to fuel, I'd personally rather spend that time out there exploring rather than figuring out a route to the nearest fuel stop.

As far as the safety aspect, yes, it would be nice if it were DOT approved. In reality, that's probably not feasible. Even imported tanks are not likely to be approved for use in the US or crash tested. Is it more dangerous? Maybe. The fact is we frequently run around at speeds above the legal limit in overweight vehicles that have a raised center of gravity on tires that are not optimal for paved surfaces. You will have to determine your comfort level for yourself.

For me personally? I don't have a truck that this tank will work on yet. But, it's nice to see someone out there doing something unique and, daresay, groundbreaking for this platform. We've got plenty of bumper and slider makers out there, it's nice to see someone doing something new.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Note that this is a group buy thread. If you're posting here to criticize the product it's not only classless but also in the wrong thread.

Enough is enough already.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist

My point was that tanks are being made for this truck abroad that would probably work and the cost, even with shipping would probably be more reasonable. There was no criticism intended -- just pointing out something I saw that was relevant.

Thanks for cutting me some slack and letting my troll observation slide...

Regarding ignorance... the frames of the Tacoma and HILUX are different. The RHD and heavier diesel should be a "virtual" clue as well.

You may believe you have no intent on your part to criticize but your thoughtless observation in a thread intended to organize a group buy to lower the price through volume purchasing was inappropriate. If you had scanned the same section there is another thread on this very same custom fabricated tank where you could have added your ill-informed, irrelevant comments until your fingertips become raw from typing.

Regarding "troll" -- In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Your post satisfies the definition of "troll" in this thread, therefore your post was very troll-like.

Last edited:

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Wow!

.....Enough is enough already.

TACODOC, Can't believe you used that phrase. :ylsmoke:

I was enjoying this thread until the last few posts.

No one should be attacked because they post a differing opinion. This is a public sandbox...we should all play nice.

Just my $0.02

kmacafee

Adventurer
Thanks for cutting me some slack and letting my troll observation slide...

Regarding ignorance... the frames of the Tacoma and HILUX are different. The RHD and heavier diesel should be a "virtual" clue as well.

You may believe you have no intent on your part to criticize but your thoughtless observation in a thread intended to organize a group buy to lower the price through volume purchasing was inappropriate. If you had scanned the same section there is another thread on this very same custom fabricated tank where you could have added your ill-informed, irrelevant comments until your fingertips become raw from typing.

Regarding "troll" -- In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Your post satisfies the definition of "troll" in this thread, therefore your post was very troll-like.

My post was anything but thoughtless and would never normally meet the definition of being troll like. But I know a few here have pretty thin skins.

I dont have time to scan all the posts to find the right one. I saw the heading, had relevant information and provided it.

Maybe you and Doc should spend less time worrying about rules -- its the internet and a forum for information. Lighten up.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
My post was anything but thoughtless and would never normally meet the definition of being troll like. But I know a few here have pretty thin skins.

I dont have time to scan all the posts to find the right one. I saw the heading, had relevant information and provided it.

Maybe you and Doc should spend less time worrying about rules -- its the internet and a forum for information. Lighten up.

I apologize for coming across as heavy-handed in my remarks to your posts. Perhaps in the future if you spend more time scanning the thread and instead contribute with thoughtful relevant information I'll be less tempted to respond so critically.

It's not okay to pollute another's thread who is trying to enlist support for a group purchase or insinuate that a fabricator is over-charging for their goods and services without proof - not just a cursory observation from a different continent with "data" from a "guy." That is thoughtless and irrelevant to a group purchase.

TACODOC and I do worry about "rules" and other silly concepts like honor and integrity. We have careers and reputations based on that. Accuracy and accountability are important to doing our jobs and in our personal passions off-road. Pardon me, and a good many of us on this forum, if we actually call someone to take responsibility for their thoughtless remarks and call them what they are. You are right, its the internet and it is just a forum, but the value of this forum is based on accurate information.

upcountry

Explorer
You are right, its the internet and it is just a forum, but the value of this forum is based on accurate information.

X2. Lets keep it to actuall info and support each other. I cant beleive the direction this has taken.

My suggestion to the OP is to start a new thread and see if you can actually get a group buy together for those that are interested and hopefully the naysayers can focus their comments where they are welcome........ in the appropriate thread.

Comments on this product, its usefullness, its design, and its quality would have been better located in the original product thread, not the group buy thread which was supposed to be used to organize, well, a group buy.....

Maybe we'll see a new group buy thread and this one will be deleted by the moderators?

WxMan

Adventurer
It'll be interesting to hear from Russ on how the install went. It would also be nice to see what kind of shipping costs he incurred.

The LongRanger tank for the Hilux requires modification to the mounts and to the rear top section of the tank as that part interferes with a crossmember of the Tacoma which is different from the Hilux. Shipping from Australia to Edmonton, AB was close to a grand. Had this other tank been available back when I ordered the LongRanger I certainly would have gone this route. The cost would have been close enough and I would have preferred to support a smaller shop that looks after it's customers (at least so I hear.)

Russ.

Big_Geek

Drop Bear
Hope this is not deemed "off topic" for this thread, but I got confirmation that LRA is making a main replacement tank for the Tacoma. Details are sketchy, but they are apparently being shipped from down under as we speak. If I receive more info, I'll pass it along.

zolo

Explorer

From what you can tell? They are virtually identical? Are you blind?

Tacoma is not anywhere close to identical to the Hilux brother...Not even close.

Outside of the RHD (in some parts of the world), Diesel, Boxed frame, shackle being flipped in the rear, Different body, 1 ton capacity, heavy duty leafs in the rear, manual T-case...I could keep going...
Yeah I guess they are the exact same truck... Crazy talk.

My TROLL post for this other troll post...

slooowr6

Explorer
From what you can tell? They are virtually identical? Are you blind?

Tacoma is not anywhere close to identical to the Hilux brother...Not even close.

Outside of the RHD (in some parts of the world), Diesel, Boxed frame, shackle being flipped in the rear, Different body, 1 ton capacity, heavy duty leafs in the rear, manual T-case...I could keep going...
Yeah I guess they are the exact same truck... Crazy talk.

My TROLL post for this other troll post...

LOL, dear sir, you are too honest.

Seriously, I've been search left and right on a lot of forums. This is the ONLY OEM replacement long rang tank of 05+ Tacoma I've found that actually got built and is available to order.

steve103

Observer
its great that people are looking at other tanks, but like its been said i am trying to buy one of these and a group buy is the only way for me to do this. lets try to stay on the topic. i know from past reading that shipping from oz is $ but it seems like people are willng to pay for import rather than made in the us. im ever hopeful.

zolo

Explorer
Well what people need to understand it that a HILux long Range tank will not work for a 2nd Gen Tacoma.
(could it be modified to work? sure but why do that when you can buy one for the Tacoma now? Fabrication cost for anything are high)
That was my point.
So outside of the high shipping cost. Its not even an option.

This group buy is an option for folks who want serious range. Its an expensive product and cost to fabricate is also high.
To seam weld a tank to hold fluid is very difficult. So for the guy that said he could build one for $500 is simply laughable...

Folks who want such a tank know it will not be cheap.
Made in the USA really doesn't matter to me. The fact is, its hard to built a huge tank that keeps all the EVAP stuff happy and fits in the stock location. So for what it is. Id say its a reasonable price for such a product.

I hope it works out for the group but for sure...

Last edited:

Tacoted

Pardon my ignorance but would any modifications (other than removing the original tank) be required to install this extended range tank? Do I have to move my spare from the stock location?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94