33 vs 35s for my XJ Overland Build

osinrider04

Observer
Before I get started on this question, I'll say that I have done a lot of research on type of tire I need and have polled many other jeepers. This is not about which tire, but rather which SIZE. Since I have not posted any questions on the overland forum I figured I would get this niche sub-forum a try before I pulled the trigger on any tires.

Current Setup:
33x12.50r15
Rock Krawler Long Arms
4.88 gears
Dana 30, JCR truss and gussets, Chromoly Carbon Axle Shafts
Dana 8.25

Jeep has been built to go long distance but my tires have developed cupping because of some factors that have now been resolved.

Question:
Should I replace my dead 33s with another set of 33s, or go up to 35s. I have the gear ratio for it, but I'm more concerned about being able to drive 500 miles on pavement and then hop on a back country trail for trips. I have posted a few pictures of when I first got my long arms installed so you can see how it stuffs currently to get an idea of my set up. My thing with 35s is losing on-road manners and other similar factors since my jeep is not a trailer queen or pure rock crawler.

Thanks in advance for the help! (sorry for sideways pictures)

Bumper Install 13.jpg
Flex 3.JPGFlex 2.JPGFlex 1.JPGFlex 4.JPG

chasespeed

Explorer
When you say you have the gear ratio for it, lets be clear.... For 33s or 35s?

I'm running 4.10s, and they're pretty much on the money for the 33s.

Personally, I'd stay with the 33s.

Chase

motorcycle matt

I can't answer that for you, but I'll share with you what I have. I have a 4 door JK with stock length arms on 37s and regeared to 5:13 that I daily drive, full disclosure, my commute is only 7 miles of bad back road and in town. However, I have no issues with handling, wondering or discomfort even when on the much detested highway for a few hours. A few things to consider is the extra weight of larger tires which not only affects power, but braking distance and is harder on your ball joints, steering box, tieroded etc. Nice looking rig you got there.

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
I'd stick with 33's. I just went up to 33's on my XJ and plan to go with 4.56 gears. You're geared right either way, but with 35's you'll not only lose on-road stability, but also long-term durability. That Dana 30 front won't like a 35", even with the armor you've built into it. Your Chrysler 8.25 is a little tougher, more similar to a Dana 44, but still it could be at risk with a 35", especially if you were locked up and spun, then caught hard traction.

To me, if you're planning on long-term drivability, on-road control, and offload performance together, you'll be hard pressed with larger than 33's.

Plus, if you're looking to gain offroad performance, you'll gain more with a set of lockers than 35's.

Sweet rig, by the way!

osinrider04

Observer
When you say you have the gear ratio for it, lets be clear.... For 33s or 35s?

I'm running 4.10s, and they're pretty much on the money for the 33s.

Personally, I'd stay with the 33s.

Chase

I have 4.88s so I am good for 35s, is what I meant. For instance you have 33s and 4.10 and it's good. Imagine it with 4.88

osinrider04

Observer
I'd stick with 33's. I just went up to 33's on my XJ and plan to go with 4.56 gears. You're geared right either way, but with 35's you'll not only lose on-road stability, but also long-term durability. That Dana 30 front won't like a 35", even with the armor you've built into it. Your Chrysler 8.25 is a little tougher, more similar to a Dana 44, but still it could be at risk with a 35", especially if you were locked up and spun, then caught hard traction.

To me, if you're planning on long-term drivability, on-road control, and offload performance together, you'll be hard pressed with larger than 33's.

Plus, if you're looking to gain offroad performance, you'll gain more with a set of lockers than 35's.

Sweet rig, by the way!

All valid points and part of why I'm in between what size to get. Most jeepers tell me to get 35s to this point which is why I wanted to ask on here since we all have a similar mindset for our jeeps. Anyone out there think I should for sure do 35s?

Thanks for the kind words by the way! I have a build page on cherokeeforum but I'll probably make one over here since I'll get better feedback.

v_man

Explorer
Get the 35's , carry spare axle shafts , bigger is better ....I'd even consider 37's. FACT: Women love big tires ...

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
Jeeper's tend to sway towards what works for them in their local mud-bog or offroad park. Overlanding requires a somewhat different mentality which I haven't found on any other forum other than ExPo. - I'm on them all.

Here you'll find more folks running similar gear for the purpose of overlanding. Reliability, replaceability, and ease of maintenance are pillars of this mentality. Other aspects to consider are the XJ's small fuel tank and low power, so even with gears you'll inevitably hit the point of diminishing returns.

Your in VA, but where are you planning to wheel and explore? That could help determine your needs a bit more.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
If it were a serious wheeler I'd say get the 35s. For a daily driver or an overlanding rig the 33s would be much easier to live with, and easier on the vehicle.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I was wondering if your XJ was an Auto or a 5-spd. (Mine is a 5-spd). Having it gear the way you do you would be fine with the 35"s but if you have a auto tranny I would take extra measure to keep it cool pulling up mountain passes. Maybe a tranny cooler and a auxiliary fan mounted on the front side of the radiator to provide extra air flow.

On my XJ the final set-up will have a Dana 30 and a Dana 44 w/4.56 gears and ARB lockers front/back, with 33" tires (BFG 15x10.5x33) The main reason I feel this is best for me is that I plan on pulling a overland trailer over the steep mountain passes and it will allow me to have a tighter range of gears to be in while trying to keep pace with traffic. With my 5spd 5th gear is almost useless (currently 3.55 gears and 31" tires)

You are running 33"s and 4.88 gears right now? Do you feel it is too steep right now? If so it defiantly factors into over-landing, but wheeling it's probably perfect. It is a dilemma that once you buy the tires your going to have to live with them.

Last edited:

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
I second JandDGreens setup as that's the same setup I'm building - 4.56 gears and 33's. Only mine will be in the factory Chrysler 8.25 rear diff and the same Dana 30 front.

I also have the 5-spd manual, but mine is '97 with the factory 3.05 gears, which are an abomination. Before it went up on jack stands, it was on 31's and 5th gear was useless but it got great mileage on flat ground.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Even though I have swapped in axles from my son's old Xj (auto tranny) those axles were a great improvement but with the 3.55 gears & 31"s 5 gear is still useless. But what an improvement! There are so many things in front of the next axle swap (I have them but?) that I don't see it happening until next winter. But I will be buying my 33" by the end of the month. I'll have to live with the sluggishness till next season, but this is not my DD.

DailyJeep

Adventurer
Well, it seems like you probably have an idea in your mind already but here's my experience.

I had an automatic XJ on 33s w/ 4.56s. I lived in Colorado where it seemed like everyone wanted 35s on their XJ. I never understood why, as I never went on any trails where it seemed like 35s (whether fitted on a XJ with 4 inches or 7 inches of lift) were going to substantially help me unless it was a more extreme trail, call it a 7+. If you aren't wheeling those types of trails then I'd stick to the smaller tire. I came to this conclusion after looking at ring and pinion teeth in the a D30 once you gear past 4.56 and consider the additional weight/stress of a larger tire. That's not to say you'll grenade anything as that's more a function of the gas pedal, but obviously axle consumables will be under greater stress regardless. I know you said you already have a tire in mind, but you could always go with a BFG 34", which is really more like a "big" 33 at 33,5".

Whatever decision, great looking XJ!

jk_surgeonfish

Observer
Ditto on the 33s. I run 33s with 4.56 and I would not want to go any bigger. Larger means harder to steer, stop, and more breakage. The rotational wt of the 35s will suck if you live in the hills at all. Regardless of what gearing you have a stock 4.0 with 35s will not be optimal when loaded down or towing. Like it was said above if you are trying to rock crawl some crazy trails then go with 35s. If you are just overlanding, 33s will get you where you need to go.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94