300K miles on the ol' 6.5L diesel....

arveetek

Adventurer
Hit a major milestone today: rolled over 300,000 miles on my 1995 Tahoe diesel!

20160111_074323.jpg

I've owned this rig just over 10 years now, and she's been super reliable for me. Other than the expected maintenance and wear items (alternator, starter, a/c compressor, injection pump, etc), she's not needed too much work. I've completely rebuilt the front end, and kept up on preventive maintenance everywhere else, and would feel comfortable hopping in the driver's seat and driving across the country tomorrow, if need be.

She still pulls down a solid 18.5 mpg as well! :D

12474047_10205557210910304_4346911163128391587_o.jpg

Here's looking forward to another 300K miles!!

Casey

arveetek

Adventurer
Congrats! Been very tempted over the years to replace the Chevy 350 TBI in my Cruiser with a 6.5L.

Thanks!

I've owned many 6.2L's and 6.5L's over the past 21 years now. I've always liked them. Cheap, simple, and reliable. Of course, the old mechanically-injected versions are the best. I'd feel much better with a mechanical pump under my hood instead of the electronic version...

Casey

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking Tahoe Casey! I would like to hear your thoughts on replacement injector pumps. Mine needs replacement on my 92 Yukon. Ever done it yourself?:Wow1:

1stDeuce

Explorer
I ran a '96 K2500 up to 300k miles before I sold it. I did rebuild it at about 270k because one head gasket let go and I figured it was due for an overhaul, but it was making far more power than it should have been for at least 100k miles at that point. I recall the heads had faint cracks around the cups, and two of the pistons showed light scuffing from overheat. I never overheated it that much, so I think it had gone 100k+ after the overheat. (I bought it with ~200k on it I think...) At 270k, bearings, rings, lifters, etc were fine, it just needed pistons and heads from being run hot.

For all the bad that you hear, I never had any problems with the electrical aspect of the IP. Even had a spare PMD that I never ended up using. Mine was missing the plastic engine cover, which I think helped some in keeping heat away from the PMD. It also had a duramax fan, and the double thermostat crossover. And a NV4500 trans... My first diesel... 20mpg if I was nice to it, and pulled or hauled pretty much whatever I asked it to. (Including towing ~17k lbs at one point...) That truck was pretty good to me. :)

Great looking truck you have, hope it continues to treat you well!!
Chris

arveetek

Adventurer
Nice looking Tahoe Casey! I would like to hear your thoughts on replacement injector pumps. Mine needs replacement on my 92 Yukon. Ever done it yourself?:Wow1:

Are you sure about that year? There was no '92 Yukon Diesel. The Blazers and Jimmys had the mechanical 6.2L through 1991, and then there was no 2-door or Suburban diesel for 92 and 93. In 1994, they were available again with the electronic 6.5L.

I've replaced several injection pumps on the 6.2L's and 6.5L's over the years. I've personally owned one or the other since 1995, and my dad and grandpa have been playing with them since 1983. They're not difficult to do, really. Just read up on all the steps and take your time. If you have the electronic DS4 pump, you'll really need to find someone with a proper scanner (such as the genuine GM Tech II) in order to get it timed properly. Sometimes you get lucky with where it ends up, but to really get it running right, you have to do what's called a "TDC offset relearn" procedure with the scanner.

I'd really recommend replacing the pump yourself. You'll spend a gob of money to get someone else to do it, I'm afraid.

Also, be sure to purchase a quality pump. I'd recommend a local Stanadyne Diesel shop, who can either sell you a new one or rebuild your current pump, or a known quality reseller, like www.kennedydiesel.com Stay away from the cheapy ebay shops. You never know what you'll get.

Casey

arveetek

Adventurer
For all the bad that you hear, I never had any problems with the electrical aspect of the IP. Even had a spare PMD that I never ended up using. Mine was missing the plastic engine cover, which I think helped some in keeping heat away from the PMD. It also had a duramax fan, and the double thermostat crossover.

Great looking truck you have, hope it continues to treat you well!!
Chris

Thanks!

I'm glad to hear you had luck with your electronic pump. I'm on my third injection pump, and at least 3 or 4 other PMD's. I never leave home with a spare PMD now. Not too bad, considering the miles, really.

I've upgraded to the dual thermostat as well, and modified my engine fan. Cooling is really better now. I, too, ditched the plastic cover, even though I thought it looked really cool!!

Casey

forest522

Indeed, there is a lot of ********** talk out there regarding the 6.2/6.5. Which is really just fine...keeps the cost down for parts and rebuilt motors. Those who know and take the time to pay attention will find this motor incredibly durable and reliable. I've driven one nearly across country in extreme temps and with minor mechanical skills I've been able to do quite a lot of maintenance. Each time learning how truly simple this Detroit diesel is.

It's not a powerhouse and when driven like a corolla by a mad teenager...the result is predictable.

Kudos to you for great maintenance and care of that rig!

arveetek

Adventurer
Indeed, there is a lot of ********** talk out there regarding the 6.2/6.5. Which is really just fine...keeps the cost down for parts and rebuilt motors. Those who know and take the time to pay attention will find this motor incredibly durable and reliable. I've driven one nearly across country in extreme temps and with minor mechanical skills I've been able to do quite a lot of maintenance. Each time learning how truly simple this Detroit diesel is.

It's not a powerhouse and when driven like a corolla by a mad teenager...the result is predictable.

Kudos to you for great maintenance and care of that rig!

Thanks!

Agreed. I think that's one of the reasons my particular 6.5L is in such great condition.... it really lives a pretty easy life in the 2-door Tahoe. I guarantee you that a 1995 6.5L K3500 dually would not live such an easy life. My Tahoe does get used to tow once in a while, but nothing too heavy. It's really a good platform for this engine.

Casey

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Are you sure about that year? There was no '92 Yukon Diesel. The Blazers and Jimmys had the mechanical 6.2L through 1991, and then there was no 2-door or Suburban diesel for 92 and 93. In 1994, they were available again with the electronic 6.5L.

I've replaced several injection pumps on the 6.2L's and 6.5L's over the years. I've personally owned one or the other since 1995, and my dad and grandpa have been playing with them since 1983. They're not difficult to do, really. Just read up on all the steps and take your time. If you have the electronic DS4 pump, you'll really need to find someone with a proper scanner (such as the genuine GM Tech II) in order to get it timed properly. Sometimes you get lucky with where it ends up, but to really get it running right, you have to do what's called a "TDC offset relearn" procedure with the scanner.

I'd really recommend replacing the pump yourself. You'll spend a gob of money to get someone else to do it, I'm afraid.

Also, be sure to purchase a quality pump. I'd recommend a local Stanadyne Diesel shop, who can either sell you a new one or rebuild your current pump, or a known quality reseller, like www.kennedydiesel.com Stay away from the cheapy ebay shops. You never know what you'll get.

Casey

Hey Casey I think you are right. My truck is a 94. Here is a look for ya....

too funny when I cant even remember the year!!!:Wow1: Does have the 6.5 TD. and a Dana 60 up front..:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles