300GDN Ambulance conversion.

scottishpinz

Adventurer
I think I have stopped at Hrauneyjar Guesthouse when driving F26! Looks really familiar in the picture. Is there fuel there?

73A1

I'm sorry for expressing myself misleading; there is no fuel at the camp at Askja. But they had information regardig the status of the other filling stations, such as the one at Möðrudalur.
There is a filling station at Hrauneyjar, so that is a nice place to fill up both vehicle and stomach.
Also, Landmannalaugar is a 'must' to visit if you haven't been there.
I am not sure about the exact driving distans of the entide F910. The distances aren't really long in Iceland, but the reads are slow. ;)

Timod110

Observer
That is one cool truck and a great conversion. The photos from Iceland are fantastic! Can you let me know what you used for the flooring

Cheers

Tim

thebigblue

Adventurer
I have been to Iceland on three occasions, twice with VW Touareg, and last time in 2013 with my G400. It has a 95 L. thank and my range is around 550-600 km. maximum. There´s really no need to carry auxiliary fuel tanks on Iceland, unless you want to stay in the interior for extended time or want to zig-zag or loop back.

Please observe that there is a Northern (new) 910 and a Southern (old) 910, you don´t want to drive the old 910 by yourself - the area is often flooded with melt-water from the glacier...

Last edited:

Sturmy

Observer
As The BigBlue says, you can get away without carrying extra. However we made a base camp at Askja for a few days and explored in every direction including the old 910 . We did take an extra 15 gallons on this occasion and needed every one! So for added flexibility I would be tempted to carry a couple of cans and only fill them when you know that you are heading off into the wilds for a while. The soft ash really made things grunt on the old 910 & mpg plummeted! However be aware that this area is currently closed and the old 910 looks like it has had a fresh lava flow come over it The eruption from Holuhraun is still ongoing even though it is not getting much press coverage and Bardurbunga is still fairly unstable with potential to go on for a while? ( as mentioned before the Icelandic websites are great for keeping you informed about what is open).

I hope it calms down soon so that people can visit this area again next year, as it is one of the few areas that can still feel wild in the interior.

If it is still available? I thoroughly recommend getting an up to date copy of Pall Asgeir Asgeirsson's "Adventure in Iceland" it gets you off the main tourist routes and helps you find places of interest. My daughter loved the ruins left by the outlaw Eyvindar!

Not sure we will make it back this year, but can't wait to go back 2016?
All the best.
James

73A1

Today I bought this truck back from my ex-wife who ended up with it after we split up four years ago. It has not been altered in any way since we owned it together. It has more or less been parked for these four years, so I need to replace some brake-parts and fix the glow-relay before sending it through MOT.

mb300g.jpg

73A1

Today I started working on the brakes. The brakes failed MOT a year back, and now I started looking into it. New discs and pads have been ordered. The old discs have some rust on them, but not worse than what is possible to turn down on a lathe. The pads, however, had more or less disintegrated. Well, I guess that's normal after 32 years :unsure:

bremsejobb2.jpg

bremsejobb1.jpg

brake pads.jpg

73A1

Time for a small update:
The truck is back in business. I still have some annoying vibrations at around 50km/h. I feel that this must come from one of the drive shafts, as the vibrations are of such a frequency.
Anyway, I have been on two short trips here in the area where I live (southern part of Norway), and covered some 2700km in total. Since this summer is a bit different to all the summers before (due to the Covid-19 situation), I decided to get a new set of tyres for road use. I ended up with a set of Nokian Rotiiva 235/85R16 on original MB steel rims, going down one size from the 255/85R16's that I have used until now.
This upcoming weekend I have planned to go to Hardanger for another short trip (3-4days).

dekk 1.jpgT1.jpgcamp preikestolen.JPGT2.jpgT4.JPGT5.JPGtur2_1.JPGtur2_2.JPGtur2_5.JPGtur2_6.JPG

Last edited:

73A1

The 3-4 day trip I had planned for the Hardanger area, ended up being a 12 day trip taking me all the way up to the Lofoten islands.
The green route on the map was the initial plan. I ended up extending that trip by driving the red route in adition to the green one. In total I drove some 5500 kms on this trip. :)

turen.JPGTur3-1.JPGTur3-3.JPGTur3-4.JPGTur3-7.JPGTur3-9.JPGTur3-14.JPGTur3-12.JPGTur3-11.JPGTur3-15.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles