300GD usability, parts availability

Diesel YJ

Observer
Hello, looking at a 1982 300GD, 617 5cyl non turbo, 4spd. Really clean, about 130km / 80k miles. Found very minimal rust underneath, guy thought it was ex-military but I think it was just green in color, all civilian interior, 12v. 2 sets of 5 tires, new KO2's on it now, Extra set is a bit more knobby mud tires. Has a roof rack and rear ladder on it. Some spare parts and a hi lift with accessories come with it. I can get it for 23k. My wife is on board with the purchase as we camp and get outdoors often. I have been reading until I cannot see straight trying to figure out if this is a good purchase to really use. I could swap the engine to a turbo model later for more power. I do all of my own vehicle work and I am good with old vehicles / diesels. I was surprised when I called a local German shop that said they have trouble getting parts.

I have lots of other toys, 05 Excursion or F250 CCLB would be my largest for family travel. My CJ5 / XJ being my smallest. the XJ being stock but some upgrades on hand, I am just torn with it not having a frame if I really use it. I like simple vehicles, straight utility but drivability on regular roads and the ability to get around on the roads less traveled are my goals. I am also a diesel junky!!!! 6.2 turbo in a YJ, F250, Excursion, Q7, A6 all diesel. But I would appreciate your thoughts on keeping a 300GD for family excursions getting off the beaten path. Worst case it seem I could sell later on if it doesn't fit my needs.

Metric

$23kUSD is a good price if it's clean.

These are very capable and very reliable vehicles -- so reliable that there can be some expensive deferred maintenance issues to clear up. If it's in good working order, it should drive very nicely -- smooth and straight with no vibrations. If there are vibes then it can be anything including tires, driveshafts, wheel bearings, bushings.

It will not move swiftly but it has enough torque with standard tire size to do basically anything (plus lockers). Swapping a stock 617a turbo motor is a modest improvement but aftermarket support for that swap has improved in recent years to make it more than just a modest improvemnt. However, it is getting harder to find good 617a donors. Also keep in mind that swapping to the 617a means you will lose air conditioning (if it has it) unless you devote a good bit of time/money. I'd say the current popular swap for a 300GD is a 606a motor from a late 90's sedan.

People who have trouble getting parts just aren't trying hard enough. And it's not like it's much effort. There are several US-based Gwagen-specific parts suppliers plus you can order many parts directly through a collection of MB dealers. The motor/trans will share parts with plenty of sedans. And if all else fails there is an active network of resourceful Gwagen lunatics like myself over at the clubgwagen forum who know how to track down rare parts.

Jtracy

I have an 84 300gd with an 617 turbo. I've never kept a vehicle for more than 2 years and I've had the G for over 10 years. you wont regret it.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
With your vin number any Mercedes dealer should be able to pull up your vehicle and order parts directly from Germany. I would say lots of parts like the belts and filters are shared with other Mercedes models and are most likely in stock. Years ago I imported a 4x4 Sprinter cab chassis from Germany to Canada. That model/engine/transmission etc was never sold here. Our local dealer printed out the build sheet for me and always had more parts than I expected on hand! This is the main fact why you see too many Mercedes vehicles used for international travel. Parts are easy to get!
Here is everything you need: https://www.autodoc.de/ersatzteile/mercedes-benz/g-klasse/g-class-w463/939-300-gd-463-327-463-328

paachi

$23kUSD is a good price if it's clean.

These are very capable and very reliable vehicles -- so reliable that there can be some expensive deferred maintenance issues to clear up. If it's in good working order, it should drive very nicely -- smooth and straight with no vibrations. If there are vibes then it can be anything including tires, driveshafts, wheel bearings, bushings.

It will not move swiftly but it has enough torque with standard tire size to do basically anything (plus lockers). Swapping a stock 617a turbo motor is a modest improvement but aftermarket support for that swap has improved in recent years to make it more than just a modest improvemnt. However, it is getting harder to find good 617a donors. Also keep in mind that swapping to the 617a means you will lose air conditioning (if it has it) unless you devote a good bit of time/money. I'd say the current popular swap for a 300GD is a 606a motor from a late 90's sedan.

People who have trouble getting parts just aren't trying hard enough. And it's not like it's much effort. There are several US-based Gwagen-specific parts suppliers plus you can order many parts directly through a collection of MB dealers. The motor/trans will share parts with plenty of sedans. And if all else fails there is an active network of resourceful Gwagen lunatics like myself over at the clubgwagen forum who know how to track down rare parts.

I second this. I have a 1997 factory G300TD with the OM606 Turbo engineer. IMHO if the bones of the G are good with no rust, get it and swap an OM606 Turbo. There are a lot of guys on ClubG who have done it and can assist you with the process and parts. It’s a small but dedicated and tight knit community.

As for the G300 itself I love them. I love the 460/461 body style which is even simpler than my 463 series. The OM606 is a good daily driver and highway speeds engine. I know a few guys who still drive with a 617 but it’s life in the slow lane. Off-road it’s still a beast. Make sure you get one with both front and rear lockers. Some nice 33” R16” tires and you are golden. It has enough room to sleep two inside of you are under 6’ and can carry a good camping load. I have taken mine to Moab and quite a few destinations in California, Utah. I adore mine.

There are a few good parts sources dedicated to the G like G-wagenaccessories, expeditionimports, etc. The one thing I will call out about the G is that aftermarket parts like bumpers and light mounts and interior doodads are very few. But it’s so good stock that you don’t need to farkle it up much

Good luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94