3000lb everyday towing? Tacoma

Hummelator

Adventurer
Now you got me curious. Why 4.7 over the 5.7? From my own experience, the 5.7 was an improvement in every way. More power, more torque, same MPG.
My 4.7 did get better mileage. But with that said it was a 2WD so in a 4WD it may have been different. But I do like the 5.7 because it has a timing chain and not a timing belt.

peekay

Adventurer
I wouldn't hesitate to tow 3000lb with a 4.0 Tacoma every day. The 4.0 tows much better than the 3.4, even the 3.4 supercharged. That being said, the 4.7 on a 1st gen Tundra tows a bit better than the 4.0 on a Tacoma. It's not night/day difference, more like 15% better. I've had all of these setups so this is from personal experience.

I personally think it's ridiculous that some people think you need a 5.7 to tow 3000lb. Unless you're talking about sustained 6%+ grades, even the 2.7 would be fine. To each their own, I suppose -- I used to tow a 5x8 enclosed trailer with my Prius.

crazysccrmd

Observer
My 2nd gen 4.0 tows that weight fine going through hills but fuel economy takes a big hit. I'm always towing an open trailer with ATVs or snow machines on it with no aerodynamics to it so an enclosed trailer like yours would probably be better.

MattKoch

Observer
My 2nd gen 4.0 tows that weight fine going through hills but fuel economy takes a big hit. I'm always towing an open trailer with ATVs or snow machines on it with no aerodynamics to it so an enclosed trailer like yours would probably be better.

I've been getting 15mpg with the 3.4. That's a good point about the aerodynamics! whay do you average towing Mpg? Thanks

Adventurous

Explorer
I just towed a 3,600 lb travel trailer with my 4.0L Tacoma for the past week over 1,000 miles. Qualifier, we traversed a half dozen 10,000+ foot mountain passes with sustained 7% grades for miles with 4 adults in the vehicle. Going uphill it only has enough grunt to pull 30 mph so if you want to do anything other than hang out in the slow lane collecting cars I'd pass. Downhill I'd be prepared to hop between 1st and 2nd gear to change speed as the brakes did get pretty darn hot. MPG wise I calculated around 12 mpg across the entire trip. On flat ground it did just fine but if you are going up and down hills all the time I'd want more power, though being at lower elevation should help a bit in that area.

crazysccrmd

Observer
I've been getting 15mpg with the 3.4. That's a good point about the aerodynamics! whay do you average towing Mpg? Thanks

About 11mpg towing 3500lbs of trailer and snowmachines. My truck is also lifted with a front tube bumper, sliders, roof rack, etc. Neither the truck nor trailer are aerodyanmic at that point. On downhill grades in the winter I will shift into second at times to control speed rather than using the brakes since the roads are snowed and iced over. Summer time it's not as big of a deal to go downhill at 50mph. I haven't had problems maintaining speed uphill but you will need to give it more gas obviously.

ACFaulk

SE Expedition Society
i'm pulling a 4000lb travel trailer with a stock 2015 tacoma 4x4 trd double cab. just got the trailer and pulls fine on level ground but hills are tough. hate to do it but been looking at bigger trucks and burbs.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I recently moved from a 4.7 Tundra to the 2.8 Colorado. The tundra is a more solid feeling vehicle when you are not towing but the Colorado BLOWS it away for towing. The Colorado feels much more solid when towing and I don't think you would notice the 3K lbs. I still loved the tundra and feel that the first gen tundras had a much better build quality than most new cars and I miss the insane comfort. The Colorado has torque where you want it towing everyday, it feels effortless.

robert

Expedition Leader
The 4.0L is pretty gutless, especially in the 6 speed (the gears are spaced kinda weird, I haven't owned an auto so can't speak to them) and it drinks gas with no load; it's worse with a load in the bed or behind it. The brakes are marginal with no load and again, worse with a load. If you upgrade to 4Runner brakes for a couple hundred if you have 17" wheels or you can spend a couple grand on an aftermarket big brake kit. No way I'd want to tow 3000lbs every day with mine, even if the trailer had trailer brakes.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The 4.0L is pretty gutless, especially in the 6 speed (the gears are spaced kinda weird, I haven't owned an auto so can't speak to them) and it drinks gas with no load; it's worse with a load in the bed or behind it. The brakes are marginal with no load and again, worse with a load. If you upgrade to 4Runner brakes for a couple hundred if you have 17" wheels or you can spend a couple grand on an aftermarket big brake kit. No way I'd want to tow 3000lbs every day with mine, even if the trailer had trailer brakes.

The 4.0 isn't gutless. When I had my 4th gen, it towed my camper with little issue up to 7000 feet.

tacollie

Glamper
I have towed a fair amount with my 4.0. A bigger truck would do better but it got the job done. It will be way better than the 3.4.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have towed 3500 lbs a couple few times with my 3.4, it pulls it "ok"...even though these trucks are rated at 5000 lbs IIRC...3500 lbs feels about max to me, would hate to pull that every day.

Bit over kill, think you're better of with a fullsize. Be much more comfortable and safer.

bkg

Explorer
I've owned 5 4.7's (AC, DC, Sequoia). I've owned 3 5.7's (CrewMax). I've owned 1 4.0 (DCSB)... and 5 3.4's.

There is a major difference between pulling 3K and pulling 3k EVERY DAY. Personally, I would never do it in a 3.4, 4.0... and frankly, may not even do it in a 4.7.

Having said that, one of the nice-to-have is small and nimble... and since you have a 3.4 now, almost anything will be an improvement.

If you want to stay Toyota, I would consider a 100 series or an 06-07 Sequoia - especially if you can find one that has rear air suspension. The Sequoia will be cheaper, but bigger. And it has the turning radius of a small country. But is otherwise nice.

Of the rest of the list -
Having driven 1 4.0 Frontier... one time... I don't like 'em.
The Colorado will have the DEF issue. DEF pisses me off - my F350 has it. But, otherwise a good choice.
A full-size extended cab could be a good choice as well... but I'd go for a 6.0, 6.2 or 6.4 (gm/ford/dodge)

EDIT: Just dawned on me... Does that trailer have brakes????

If you go down a Toyota route, outside of a 2nd Gen Tundra/Sequoia, you *WILL* want to upgrade the brakes. I had excellent experience with Hawk/PowerStop combinations on my gen 1's. Getting up and running is one thing... stopping - completely different

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I've owned 5 4.7's (AC, DC, Sequoia). I've owned 3 5.7's (CrewMax). I've owned 1 4.0 (DCSB)... and 5 3.4's.

There is a major difference between pulling 3K and pulling 3k EVERY DAY. Personally, I would never do it in a 3.4, 4.0... and frankly, may not even do it in a 4.7.

Having said that, one of the nice-to-have is small and nimble... and since you have a 3.4 now, almost anything will be an improvement.

If you want to stay Toyota, I would consider a 100 series or an 06-07 Sequoia - especially if you can find one that has rear air suspension. The Sequoia will be cheaper, but bigger. And it has the turning radius of a small country. But is otherwise nice.

Of the rest of the list -
Having driven 1 4.0 Frontier... one time... I don't like 'em.
The Colorado will have the DEF issue. DEF pisses me off - my F350 has it. But, otherwise a good choice.
A full-size extended cab could be a good choice as well... but I'd go for a 6.0, 6.2 or 6.4 (gm/ford/dodge)

I agree with everything, except I'll add if you get an LC100, find a 2003+ with the 5-sp. Personally, I would just get a Sequoia, as it's longer and more stable. And me personally, I would get a 5.7L Sequoia.

bkg

Explorer
I agree with everything, except I'll add if you get an LC100, find a 2003+ with the 5-sp. Personally, I would just get a Sequoia, as it's longer and more stable. And me personally, I would get a 5.7L Sequoia.

I'm a pretty agreeable person. :)

I know not much about the LC... I know the Sequoia got vvti/5-speed in 05...

I personally do not like the 2nd gen sequoias, and I can't believe they literally not changed in 10 years.

EDIT (again):

4th Gen 4Runner, 4.7vvti/5-speed may not be a bad choice either. Smaller, same drive train. Only available in AWD, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier