30, HOME FREE AND UNEMPLOYED

4Roaming

Interesting read. I grew up in Ashland and I currently work offshore as a diver in the Gulf of Mexico. I work all summer and end up driving around the country visiting friends and family during my winters. These adventures help keep me going out here, keep it up!

philco

Hi there, great read, hope you are well and still enjoying africa. Your thread reminded me of a thread of an Aussie guy in africa also, he is doing a similar trip report of his life in africa and the places he goes etc, maybe if you get a chance to look it over, you might bump into him, or not, his thread is on an australian forum, i think it will inspire you to carry on your thread, good on you for sharing your travels with us. http://www.aulro.com/afvb/general-chat/59234-employment-opportunities.html

bigbuilder

Fantastic thread, what a great adventure. I read through the whole thing, even though it took a few months for me to get through it. Someone a few pages back said this was one of the most relatable trips they had read, I thought so too. I didn't see the offshore oil rig thing coming at all! That really takes it to the next level in terms of adventurousness, to have that cross country trip and then go to Nigeria.

4whtundra

Adventurer
Getting caught up

Bigbuilder,
Thanks for lighting a fire for me, it's been a really long time since I posted, I had figured most people had forgotten about this thread.

Well my 30 days in Nigeria ended up being 90, my return trip kept on being pushed back and the work never got too much easier. The work wasn't physically demanding as I was more of a supervisor than a laborer (although I did get to do a bunch of maintenance for a couple weeks), but to much surprise they didn't train me at all to do the work I was set to do. The pressure and stress of the job was a ton, I basically told the divers what to do as all of the equipment we were working on had been sub sea. The communication was very difficult, I worked with the French, Italian, Malaysian, South African, Nigerian and Spanish. At any given time I had a good handful of these fellows (absolutely no women or alcohol for three months) breathing down my back, let alone the divers lives in my hands. After about 6 weeks the days seemed to mesh all together. I worked 88 days straight, 12 hour days (plus there was a week when I worked 4-24 hour shifts and a 33 hour shift), the food was actually pretty good as I was stationed on the Italian ship The Bar Protector. I lived in a very small room on the navigation deck (top floor), it was the size of a small walk-in closet. I have to tell you that living in my camper for three months definitely prepared me to live on a boat for 3 months off the coast of Nigeria.

IMG_20130729_135230_921.jpg IMG_20130814_145955_037.jpg

IMG_20130730_132538_977.jpg IMG_20130816_180021_989.jpg

IMG_20130826_162819_040.jpg IMG_20130916_054124_235.jpg

At the end of it all it was a pretty epic experience. Although there were times when I had actually considered jumping off the boat so that they would send me home, I got through it. The guys that I bumped heads with the whole time I was there ended up being my good friends and I now have these friends from all over the world. Reflecting on the time there made me realize that I can accomplish anything, anywhere, by myself or with others regardless of their backgrounds or language barriers. I learned to be confident but humble, not to be afraid of voicing my opinion and to take the bull by the horns.

Rumpig

Adventurer
just read the entire 22 pages of this thread from start to finish...what a fantastic journey you've been on. Cheers for posting all this up, it's been an enjoyable read.

Rugy

Spent the morning and afternoon reading up on your thread. What a great read and thanks for sharing.

Fractal

Just read the whole thing in one sitting! Great thread and interesting stuff! Keep it coming! Kinda an online diary!

4whtundra

Adventurer
Southpier, Rumpig,

It's funny you ask that, as I still have some catching up to do on my posts I am actually now in Australia. I flew into Perth 4 days ago, will travel Western Australia and head East in a month or so. Rumpig, maybe we can get together and you can show me some good spots to camp over a beer or two? I plan to get a campervan or 4WD of some sort.

Rumpig

Adventurer
Southpier, Rumpig,

It's funny you ask that, as I still have some catching up to do on my posts I am actually now in Australia. I flew into Perth 4 days ago, will travel Western Australia and head East in a month or so. Rumpig, maybe we can get together and you can show me some good spots to camp over a beer or two? I plan to get a campervan or 4WD of some sort.
if you are looking at coming to Brisbane and the timing works out, i will happily show you some places to camp and explore. will have a drink with you also, but you can have the beer, i only drink Rum....lol. let me know where you plan to head on the East Coast and i will help you out with places to see along the way where i can.

zelseman

Observer
What a kerouac-ian adventure you are living! I am jealous and impressed at this thread. I also wish I had the guts to get out of my office and do this.

Keep it up and more pictures!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles