3 Weeks in Baja – Surfing, SUPing and Dirt Roading

ThundahBeagle

What is your goal here? You've said your piece, he has recognized not to give locations... move on with your life. You are giving him grief and yet run an "overland shop website"... talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Holy smokes.

Let this young man make his video and share HIS experience.

Dylan- keep doing your thing and ignore as needed. Some folks have nothing better to do.

Joaquin's goal here is to drive traffic to his website, and increase the hit count so he can say he is "legacy" and sell his web domain, website created with 18 year old web code and his remaining - and very likely dusty - NOS stock to some other person, whom he has very likely also insulted, either before or after the sale, preferably both.

That and berate at least two people that I know of who have documented their trips into Mexico.

I get it. Good camp sites are like good fishing holes, @Joaquin Suave, but you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. You could be a guiding hand, you know

Anyone can find a site through GPS nowadays. It's useless to try and keep any physical location a secret. It's a person's behavior and actions that matter.

I would really be an advocate of going down to Baja. I travelled from California down through Mexicali and drove through to La Paz and then took the ferry over to Mazatlan and then doubled back via the same route.

This was my first time driving into Mexico. I barely speak any Spanish at all and used my phone and a map of Mexico for directions. Oh, and I travelled alone. Since this was my first time, I noticed things that the veterans of travel probably already are aware of. I did notice that at established restaurants, Americans would usually hang out with other Americans. When "they" ordered, they would do so in English and not make any effort to speak Spanish. In Mexico. It was rare when I saw an American eating at a street vendor.

I do have to say, it was eye-opening. As Mark Twain said, Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness.

As long as you're polite to people and understand that you're a visitor in another country, I think you'll do fine.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Joaquin's goal here is to drive traffic to his website, and increase the hit count so he can say he is "legacy" and sell his web domain, website created with 18 year old web code and his remaining - and very likely dusty - NOS stock to some other person, whom he has very likely also insulted, either before or after the sale, preferably both.

That and berate at least two people that I know of who have documented their trips into Mexico.

I get it. Good camp sites are like good fishing holes, @Joaquin Suave, but you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. You could be a guiding hand, you know
Just keep the directions sketchy to the surf spots. They are already over run with GPS and internet guided and don't need any more publicity. The scared of Mexico crowd can be convinced to go with further articles.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Eons ago I found some guy digging a giant hole to bury their 33 gallon trashbag. I asked them to simply discard it at a common dumping spot used by the locals and burned with diesel periodically. At least it's centralized. I love that shot of your Studebacker topped truck at a now packed spot with the super offshores. Baja spots used to be divulged around a campfire after a few beers and shots. But that's progress I guess. :cry:

ThundahBeagle

What you are saying could not be further from the truth!

Hmmm. What I am saying is the truth.

Or are you saying that you did not create a thread with the sole purpose to viciously assail @BrittanyHighland because of her April 22 ExPo article titled "Overlanding Mexico" about the friends she met and the trip they took through Sierra Gordo? Some nasty words in that post.

And you didnt slap @dylan.h.brown around about his "3 Weeks in Baja" thread?

I'd be careful how you respond. One of those two threads is still active, and somebody somewhere may have screen grabs of the thread you started to berate the other.

Just take a breath, nobody here is out to get you but you are your own worst enemy. You could be a guiding hand, you know

BajaSurfRig

@ThundahBeagle take it easy amigo. I love enjoying remote parts of the peninsula, for the people, the food, emptyish beaches and natural beauty. People blowing up special locations for their own ego and/ or profit is a huge bummer. Years ago I posted a build thread on my first gen Tacoma. In it I had a shot of the truck with a sensitive location/ headland in the background. Some members here messaged me about it and I took down the whole thread as I realized I was going against my own ethos as well as the ethos of explorers before me. I am now more careful about what I post and talk about online/ in person as I hope the areas I have come to love over the years don’t get any more heavily impacted. Before you post photos or videos of places you love (or it’s obvious others love) ask yourself why….

ThundahBeagle

@ThundahBeagle take it easy amigo. I love enjoying remote parts of the peninsula, for the people, the food, emptyish beaches and natural beauty. People blowing up special locations for their own ego and/ or profit is a huge bummer. Years ago I posted a build thread on my first gen Tacoma. In it I had a shot of the truck with a sensitive location/ headland in the background. Some members here messaged me about it and I took down the whole thread as I realized I was going against my own ethos as well as the ethos of explorers before me. I am now more careful about what I post and talk about online/ in person as I hope the areas I have come to love over the years don’t get any more heavily impacted. Before you post photos or videos of places you love (or it’s obvious others love) ask yourself why….

@BajaSurfRig
I can most certainly understand that. Like I said -good fishin' holes. Same theory. Just some folks are literal ************** about it while others are not.
Not saying Joaquin is wrong for mentioning it. Theres a reason his posts are routinely deleted by mods, and those deleted posts have no long term effect of getting the message out there, whatsoever, now do they?

Dylan- What motor and rear end gearing is your F150? How was it?

I have the 3.5 Eco w/ the 3.55 e-locker. It rallied like a charm. Deflated down to 25 f/r once I hit the dirt, back up to 40 when I hit the 1. Never thought I needed more oomph when passing semis. Loved every bit of it! Getting close to releasing ep. 3 – pretty fun stuff. Whipped my ass some days (long hours), other days were a breeze.

Jesus, man, we get it, stop complaining. Also, you can't compare Moab - rock crawler/mountain bike/raft ad hike paradise to Baja. Most Americans I know don't even have a passport and/or are afraid to go to Mexico because it's "dangerous" and they don't speak "mexican." So chill, it will not kill the spots and the locals make money. Be happy for them.

One thing I did notice is yes, the locals want traffic. Fishing camps / villages have little restaurants that are run by families. It's another revenue stream for them. In fact, I saw several little towns asking to use their hashtags... pretty wild. People like us who have the ability and a little extra cash should help these fine folks out! You never know, they might just decide to do what so many private land owners do in the states: put up fences and lock everyone out!

Last edited:
Anyone can find a site through GPS nowadays. It's useless to try and keep any physical location a secret. It's a person's behavior and actions that matter.

I would really be an advocate of going down to Baja. I travelled from California down through Mexicali and drove through to La Paz and then took the ferry over to Mazatlan and then doubled back via the same route.

This was my first time driving into Mexico. I barely speak any Spanish at all and used my phone and a map of Mexico for directions. Oh, and I travelled alone. Since this was my first time, I noticed things that the veterans of travel probably already are aware of. I did notice that at established restaurants, Americans would usually hang out with other Americans. When "they" ordered, they would do so in English and not make any effort to speak Spanish. In Mexico. It was rare when I saw an American eating at a street vendor.

I do have to say, it was eye-opening. As Mark Twain said, Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness.

As long as you're polite to people and understand that you're a visitor in another country, I think you'll do fine.

Best food is where the locals eat. And better yet, if they don't speak english. You order in English, you know you'll be paying the gringo tax.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
One thing I did notice is yes, the locals want traffic. Fishing camps / villages have little restaurants that are run by families. It's another avenue stream for them. In fact, I saw several little towns asking to use their hashtags... pretty wild. People like us who have the ability and a little extra cash should help these fine folks out! You never know, they might just decide to do what so many private land owners do in the states: put up fences and lock everyone out!
Stickers are huge down there. Get an image or stencil of your truck printed on some stickers and the local kids will absolutely love you.

Looking forward to Ep 3

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Playboys and American cigarettes worked well too. Big bags of candy to hand out is a special treat for the little ones too.
I used to bring clean folded clothes down until the customs guys apprehended mine claiming they had "bugs" in them. Also I needed a notarized letter from the orphanages for it to be legal to bring stuff down. It's all good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles