3 Weeks in Baja – Surfing, SUPing and Dirt Roading

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
ThundaBeagle wrote:

What you are saying could not be further from the truth! My comments in this thread and other threads about traveling in Baja is about a tradition of Baja travelers that goes back for generations. Plenty of really nice camp spaces have been trashed by over use and lack of respect for Baja's remote natural beauties.
I learned from BAJA...from you when I saw a TV report on your vehicle....just saying!!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
We were hopeful they would shape up. Woke up to a grey day -- honestly a little hungover -- waited until mid-tide and called it. Seems like it would be quite the scene during a northerner. So many camp spots, lots of use... I preferred the solitude feeling further north, where it was much more remote.
The Wall can get really busy plus the brown deposits to the east don't help any. I don't know if there's an outhouse now. Yeah it needs a north or northwest.

BajaRunner

Bandito
I guess I am another "hater" but I need to express my concerns. I can't even stomach to watch the videos due to being so emotionally tied to that area. It is beautiful today due to those keeping it hush hush for decades. People realized how sacred the areas were and didn't go out broadcasting the news to ruin it. If you've been around long enough, Mexico is subject to exploiting its natural resources unchecked. Most areas which are deemed beautiful are turned into major tourist zones and destroyed forever. Another thing is man... you go down there ONE time and decide it's your duty to document it and post it to Youtube? Get a clue!!! Sorry, nothing personal but you are only part of the problem.

- I am fine with you and your buddies heading down and exploring and enjoying the untouched land and oceans which are some of the last in the world. But vlogging it and publishing it in the purpose of influencing others to go is not only selfish but destructive to these areas.
- Yes, GPS, Google Earth, etc. have been a major impact, but people posting videos and reports are a different animal.
- There are areas my dad has taken me my entire life that I only saw other people for the FIRST time in the last 5 years. I have seen the impacts with my very own eyes.
- Sensationalizing an area is irresponsible. It is well known that this locale is a hot spot for drug running. Keep putting pressure on the cartels by popularizing an area, something bad will happen.
- Lastly, if you are really a surfer why on earth would you want more people in the lineup? Doesn't make any sense...

I'll be the first to help anyone down there, I am always nice with a smile. I've rescued close to 20 people in my life down there who have either run out of gas, got stuck in moon dust, got a flat, ran out of water, etc. I am always there to help, offer a beer, etc. But broadcasting vlogs for the soul intention to make $$ is just stupid. Anyway, hope next time you go you can enjoy it without the vlog aspect and don't mind the extra few campsites with potentially more vloggers perpetuating the disease.

I do love Baja started going in '62 as a kid. I used to live by the greed "share the stoke not the name." I have given up, I still don't share but no longer try to quiet anybody. I gave up when I was remote and saw a Gaia map and route. Whatever secrets I though there went up in smoke. As a surfer, I have trouble you not knowing the "don't tell rule" but like I said I gave up. I now see overlanding patrols and I am glad I saw it the way if was. I have lots of friends that benefit from the growing tourism,Covid -19 really hurt them. Baja is getting smaller everyday.
Bajarunner is pretty on point, we are the same mindset.
I am glad you enjoyed you trip. It is very had to spell adventure with a capital letters anymore in Baja.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles