3-way mil-spec switch?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Greetings,

I am searching for a mil-spec, 3-way switch.
The switches run a reverse/work light on the rear of my vehicle.
One switch mounted on the dashboard and one switch mounted on the inside of the vehicle's rear door.
I'm looking for a 3-way switch so the light can be activated from either location.
The lamp is a Rigid SRM (draws less than an amp).
I'm in need of a mil-spec switch to handle the vibration encountered when wheeling.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!
Cheers

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If you use a switched ground, it is very simple and uses very little wiring to the switches themselves.
Run your 12V to your lights (fused) then ground thru the switches.
If either of the switches is in the ON position, the circuit is completed and the lights will be on.

Otherwise, you will need to run both 12V and load wires to both switches, and ground thru the lights.

Either way works, both use standard SPST switches.

Inyo_man

Thanks for the replies.
The lights and switches are all installed. I've had them in the rig for several years already.
The issue is the durability of the switch in the rear door.
The vibration has killed the switch.

I'm truly interested in simply replacing the switch with a mil-spec, so it will handle the vibration.
However, I'm having a hard time finding a 3-way, mil-spec.

MOguy

Explorer
Thanks for the replies.
The lights and switches are all installed. I've had them in the rig for several years already.
The issue is the durability of the switch in the rear door.
The vibration has killed the switch.

I'm truly interested in simply replacing the switch with a mil-spec, so it will handle the vibration.
However, I'm having a hard time finding a 3-way, mil-spec.

The military just doesn't make a switch, they have switches made as part of various items that need switches. Each item will have different specs.

Find a switch that meets your needs, if it meets your needs it'll be fine. If it is a Military item it will be ruggedized and designed to fit a certain item a certain way.

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Appreciate the reply...
I've found several web-sites with mil-spec electronics, like switches; however, I'm having a hard time finding a 3-way.
...I suppose I was hoping there was a member that could point me in the right direction...

Thanks again for the replies.
Cheers

Inyo_man

If you are searching the phrase ”3 Way”, Thats basically slang for whats more properly called ”double throw”. You will have far better results if using the correct description.

I just searched the phrase ”3 Way Switch”, Found lot of stuff not related to electricity...

Btw, you never mentioned what mounting style or size you want.
Said that, pretty much any style switch you could ever want is available in a very robust construction.

Thanks for the redirection.
I'll focus my search on "double throw" switches.
As it stands now, I have a rocker switch in the dash and rear door. Size is not any issue...

Cheers!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
2 - SPDT switch without a center off is what you want. Will work exactly like your house and wires the same. For one switch provide power for the common and for the other the common goes to the light. Then run two wire (travelers) between the two switches. In the end you will be able to control On/Off operation from either switch just like your house.

Most any name branded switch will work for your off roading

rayra

Expedition Leader
I’d be surprised if there’s a proper 3-way covered mil spec toggle switch since closing the cover on one typically drives the switch to the off position. It’s a core part / action / function of the standard design.

Inyo_man

You are likely correct, as I have still yet to find a mil-spec. in an "on-on" SPDT.
Carling makes a heavy-duty switch that I may purchase...but ordering it online was out because the shipping was three times the cost of the items.
I ended up finding a marine grade switch that I installed, just to have the use of the light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94