3 season tent or 0 degree bag

Ok so a buddy and I are planning a sxs trip in early April and last year I got cold. So I am curious would you spend the money on a better tent or a better bag? I have a really nice 40 degree bag but I am not apposed to buying another bag. Any help would be appreciated thanks.l

86tuning

Adventurer
Sleeping bag for sure. Consider getting an over-bag to help with the cold weather, then you won't be spending hundreds on something you'll only use a few months of the year.

Fwiw, I sleep under a tarp when backpacking, even when below freezing, and I use a 30F down bag, but slip on a primaloft overbag for winter. This does two things, makes the bag more snug for less air space and less convection, and moves the dew point to the synthetic portion to help keep my down bag dry.

If it is really cold I will dig a snow cave, they stay somewhat comfortable regardless of how cold it is outside.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have had great luck using a silk bag liner to add warmth to a good bag...
But you never loose money on a quality sleeping bag. I have moved to 0deg down bags for the entire family...even though we don't like camping when it is stupid cold you are way better off having a great bag that you unzip a bit if it is too warm than a bag that doesn't work well enough.
If you have an REI near you search for when it is having a Garage Sale....this is where they sell off returned goods and I have found killer deals on sleeping bags that way.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
How are you separating yourself from the ground? As you may know, the insulation compressed underneath you does no good, and you loose heat to the ground. A closed-cell foam pad does wonders. When snow-caving in Colorado I used a cheap blue walmart closed-cell pad underneath a thermarest pad. Worked well.

mattiep11

Adventurer
I have the marrmot lithium and helium membrain, waterproof /breathable 20 Degree and 0 Degree bags.. with my thermarest pad i can sleep out under the stars no worries.. i use a silk liner so my bag dosen't get oily... add a bivy for rain season

dlh62c

Explorer
I'd go with a warmer bag.

I'm not a fan of sleeping bag liners, I tend to get twisted up in them during the night. I prefer to wear a silk weight baselayer instead

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Ever time I buy a new and better bag I ask my self why I waited so long. Look at the Rei clearance site. I just scored a 15 degree 750 fill down bag for the wife for under $150. Tents last longer. I bought a very high end tent in the 80's and still use it. I can tell you about a time that 30 tents blew away, got destroyed, flooded, bent, ect as a severe storm blew thru. The crowed stared at that old tent of mine standing tall and un effected. I was smart enough to pitch it right but a great tent is a game changer when a storm hits. Your question seems to be about the cold. Unless you buy a heavy 4 season tent then all tents are cold. Your bag and as said, your ground cover and pad are your warmth. One cold wet night is not worth the hundred you save. The light weight of the good stuff is worth it alone. Bag liners are a must because you throw them in the washing machine and crawl into a clean bag every trip.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Sleeping bag and insulated pad without a doubt. You can sleep in the snow without a tent but you will have a hard time sleeping in even the best tent with an inadequate bag. I have slept warm below zero and froze above 30. It all depends on the bag..Shivering all night sucks...Been there done that...

Darrell

Hey I appreciate all of the great replies. I will look into a better bad now for sure. I do have a sleeping pad and it did seem to help. I also picked up some good thermals for sleeping in. I will keep an eye on the rei site for a good bag on sale. Again I appreciate all the help.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
That's a Black Rock Gear hat, made in the USA. They make 3 different types. I don't have one yet.

http://www.blackrockgear.com/buy.html

etusesu2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94