3.8 low on power

KyleT

Explorer
I have two NP's a 03 and a 06. I typically drive the 06. The other day I drove the 03 and realized my 06 is severely lacking in power. Like passing on the highway isn't possible sometimes. The 03 is very peppy. I can't remember if it started like this or just got slow. It downshifts 2 gears and revs to like 5500 rpm to accelerate on the highway.

So far I've replaced the O2 sensors and Cats to fix that issue and no improvement.

Tune up? Skipped timing belt? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Maybe the hydraulic timing tensioner is dead, I think you can check the advance with a scan tool.

offthepath

Adventurer
I bet it would make a ton of racket if the tensioner went bad.

My guess is general tune up and the first thing I would check is the air filter. Any CELs?

KyleT

Explorer
Been fighting a evap leak, pretty sure it's a faulty gas cap or tank vent solonoid. The rest tested fine and it's intermittent. Filter is new ish.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The tensioner completely failed on my '06, fully collapsed. I'm not sure how it didn't jump time or crash valves, it was noisy on start up though.

KyleT

Explorer
Ok after listening to it on startup it definitely has a rattle. Looks like a tensioner and timing belt kit are going to be in order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online