3.73 VS 4.10 gear ratio’s

zb39

Adventurer
I should also add that I have 6 batteries and a 4k PSW inverter that powers the whole rig including the electric fireplace or the AC, just not at the same time. I also haul a 2k Honda. So I added 500lbs to my heavy camper. I ordered my Host to get what I wanted. It does weigh 4200 lbs empty and dry. I checked at the scales 10 minutes after loading it the first time. But 65 gal of water is 520 lbs and my batts and inverter are 498 lbs. So I add a 1000 lbs. Thats 5200 plus food and clothes, tools. My truck is a Laramie Limited Crew 3500 4x4. 9300 lbs with full fuel and DEF and TL frame mounted tie downs and fast guns,and 2 people, I scaled it. Figure 400 lbs for food and clothes. That puts me at 14900. Not bad, 900 over GVW but way under my axle ratings and way way under my factory tire ratings. But then I add a trailer, or I go to Knob Creek with out trailer. Tried once, I was 16k without water. Had to off load a bunch of ammo. The 5500 will just be better for what I do and I will be more comfortable with it.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Since it's a dually, it probably won't get big tires. The 3.73 gears will have plenty of power, wherever you go. But....
If you ever plan to sell it, those shopping for DRW trucks usually look to have the highest tow rating they can get- that means the 4.10 gears would make it more desirable on resale.

zb39

Adventurer
You could check out camperlogic.com they have a build thread in the earthroamer etc just above this one. It is aluminum and looks really well thought out and designed to carry a camper on the back. I am not sure if the typical off the shelf aluminum flat bed like CM or Hillsboro could take the weight and twisting having a camper loaded onto them.

I sent them an email. They look awesome but the price was way over my budget for just the bed and boxes. Over 22K.....But I'm sure it was very nice and built well.

Kali

I have a 16 ram 3500 with the 3.73s , it pulled my 17 Lance 1172 just fine. If you plan on upgrading the rims I would consider the4.10. I have upgraded my rims and seems a bit hesitant on take off empty. On a side note, I would look into a Host camper before your Lance purchase. After owning a Lance not a fan. My mammoth will be delivered in January.

I just picked up my camper weighing 5k with the upgraded rims and tires, it didnt miss a beat. 3,73s are fine..

zb39, good points, im considering upgrade as well the insurance costs for anything above 3500 are holding me back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles