3.6L only clicks to start sometimes.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
2011 Grand Cherrokee 2wd. It was my mother in laws car that we use as a daily driver. Dealer said it was up to date on recalls and it needed a battery. I put in a new AGM. It's better but it still only clicks every day at least once. I cleaned all the grounds I could find. Im thinking starter and since its 2wd I can see it but its still buried. Has any body changed one on any 3.6 liter and can describe the solinoid conector? It looks like I can drop it down a little but will have to deal with a conector clip and battery wire blind and by feel. What do I need to do to get the signal wire to the solinoid off and do you think I actually have a bad starter?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
My 3.6 Wrangler was doing a random click instead of start. Eventually I figured out it was a loose (almost impossible to see or even feel) positive terminal post that I had screwed onto a threaded post battery.

While I am sure that a diy-guy like you had probably checked all of the battery side connections, could you be loose at the starter? These engines seem really sensitive to bad connections.

Sorry, I have no advice on starter removal other than check YouTube.

troy

Adventurer
On my 2012 wrangler with a 3.6, the dealer couldn't seem to fix intermittent electrical problems. The battery terminals seemed tight, but I tweaked them slightly (with pliers) so they were tighter on the battery posts. Fixed my problem.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
We are having intermetant starting problems on 2004 4.7 liter GC. Several shops couldn't solve, yesterday son brought to dealer and they said they don't work on jeeps over 10 years old or 150k miles, this was dealer in Atlanta.

bamajeep

Adventurer
We are having intermetant starting problems on 2004 4.7 liter GC. Several shops couldn't solve, yesterday son brought to dealer and they said they don't work on jeeps over 10 years old or 150k miles, this was dealer in Atlanta.
My 2008 JK does that some times. I found out it was a sensor in the transmission that reads when the transmission was in park would not work some times. when it does it try moving the shifter from park to neutral to see if that works.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
My 2008 JK does that some times. I found out it was a sensor in the transmission that reads when the transmission was in park would not work some times. when it does it try moving the shifter from park to neutral to see if that works.

That's interesting, we did have new tranny put in during summer. Son uses jeep at college but home for Thanksgiving break, when he goes back to school I'll ask him to try this and bring back to tranny place to check wiring - thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles