3.4 Supercharger: A liability on an expo truck?

XL Bar

Observer
Howdy all,

Well I've decided to bite the bullet and go with a 2001-2004 Tacoma double cab for my hunting and guiding truck. (Thanks to all who were so helpful when I brought this up several months ago!)

I've now had a chance to drive quite a few used trucks but most have had issues. However, this afternoon I test drove and examined a mint condition 2001 Double cab with 47,000 original miles. Not a scratch on the truck. Not even in the bed. No rust. All service records on hand. TRD e-locker. Manual transfer case. No ABS! And....the TRD supercharger!!!

The supercharger had been installed at 20,000 miles. As far as I could tell it doesn't have any of the URD/TRD fuel modifications done. After my initial excitement faded, I hit the net for some more S/C info. From my research I have determined that a supercharger, while definitely cool, might not be the best choice for an expedition truck due to its finickiness (premium fuel required, stress to drive train, scan gauges, on board cray supercomputers for tuning, etc. etc.).

Am I worrying about nothing?

Brian

lionsbreath

Adventurer
I have been looking at doing the TRD supercharger on my taco as well. I have not personaly herd of any major problems with the TRD charger and it was orginaly back by the factory warrenty. I would go for it. I am!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I too had some initial worries about the SC on my 04' Taco. I called a couple of Toyota techs I know and asked them about their experience... really no issues to speak. Add that with the customers I have that have had no problems to speak of and it became a non-issue for me. Thusfar I have ~10k on my truck... easily 1/2 that on wheeling trips all over the state... not a single issue. I'm yet to run across a gas station that doesn't have mid-grade at a minimum (one one station in Utah that I've found doesn't have premium). I've run quite a few tanks of mid-grade through my truck, no performance issues at all. I'd like to do the scan-guage just as a "better safe than sorry", but so far it just runs like it should with zero input from me.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Not owning a 3.4 but a new 4.0 which I'm building for travel use.

I've got a TRD SC plus a URD MAP/MAF Calibrator to help lean things out a little bit after the URD pulley. I've had no issues with the truck at all since installing the SC in January. I broke it in over a nice cold Candian winter and I thought that would be a good test. If anything was going to go it was going to be in -40C.

I wanted more power but didn't want to sacrifice reliability. I don't intend to do anything else to the engine. I have added a scan gauge 2 to the truck, also, boost, Trans temp and oil pressure gauges to the truck to to keep an eye on things.

I wouldn't have any worry about buying a truck with the SC on it. TRD makes a good product and well thought out.

Clutch

<---Pass
3.4 is one the best engines Toyota ever built. 180K on mine and still going strong. Easily can get 300K out of these engines if you treat them right. The issue was with some of the first production runs of the SC, there was a seal and bearing problem. At least that is what I have been told. Someone like Dave in Denver probably knows the serial numbers on the problem SC's.

Last edited:

Super Doody

Explorer
XL Bar said:
Howdy all,

Well I've decided to bite the bullet and go with a 2001-2004 Tacoma double cab for my hunting and guiding truck. (Thanks to all who were so helpful when I brought this up several months ago!)

I've now had a chance to drive quite a few used trucks but most have had issues. However, this afternoon I test drove and examined a mint condition 2001 Double cab with 47,000 original miles. Not a scratch on the truck. Not even in the bed. No rust. All service records on hand. TRD e-locker. Manual transfer case. No ABS! And....the TRD supercharger!!!

The supercharger had been installed at 20,000 miles. As far as I could tell it doesn't have any of the URD/TRD fuel modifications done. After my initial excitement faded, I hit the net for some more S/C info. From my research I have determined that a supercharger, while definitely cool, might not be the best choice for an expedition truck due to its finickiness (premium fuel required, stress to drive train, scan gauges, on board cray supercomputers for tuning, etc. etc.).

Am I worrying about nothing?

Brian

Y0u should do a search on some of my posts on TTORA. If you want to up grade to fuel mods, go with the 7th injector setup either URD or TRD. URD has plug and play harness now so you dont have to do any soldering at all.

I was one of the first guys to install the original fuel kit 4 years ago. I'm going back to stock soon:sombrero:

Super Doody

Explorer
heeltoe989 said:
Not owning a 3.4 but a new 4.0 which I'm building for travel use.

I've got a TRD SC plus a URD MAP/MAF Calibrator to help lean things out a little bit after the URD pulley. I've had no issues with the truck at all since installing the SC in January. I broke it in over a nice cold Candian winter and I thought that would be a good test. If anything was going to go it was going to be in -40C.

I wanted more power but didn't want to sacrifice reliability. I don't intend to do anything else to the engine. I have added a scan gauge 2 to the truck, also, boost, Trans temp and oil pressure gauges to the truck to to keep an eye on things.

I wouldn't have any worry about buying a truck with the SC on it. TRD makes a good product and well thought out.

There is a huge different between the 3.4 and 4.0 SC. Although both SC are well designed, there is a huge fuel issue with the 3.4 and the ECU not tunable so you have to use band-aids such as piggy back computers.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Almost 100K miles on the TRD supercharger in my 3.4ltr.

I've got a bearing in the nose cone getting a little raspy, but not a single SC related mechanical problem so far with no additional fuel mods. The SC was fun before the FWC. After the additional weight of FWC, it's been as "vital for expedition travel" as good tunes.

:rockon:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Kermit said:
Someone like Dave in Denver probably knows the serial numbers on the problem SC's.
Well, thanks for thinking that (even tho it's not true). But I'm just getting around to understanding the ins and outs of an engine that's 2 generations removed from the modern world, forget all this modern hyper-mega-computer controlled nonsense. I might add, though, that I would consider a SC a liability since it adds complexity. In the case of the 3.4L unit, you have to do more tricks to get it to work right since the ECU is not as smart as the 1GR unit. Personally, I would avoid them, but I'm just stupid like that since I don't mind bouncing along with a 130 HP (est) 22R-E in a 5000+ lbs truck. But OTOH, I know my engine inside and out since I built it and I also know how to make the ECU do what I want it to. Not to mention a normally aspirated 22R isn't gonna ping itself to death.

Last edited:

XL Bar

Observer
Thanks guys for the input. Yes, I have read all of the TTORA stuff and Gadget's website. I'm kind of leaning towards Dave's line of thinking.

The seller of this particular truck wants $18500 firm, so I would basically be paying a $3500 premium for the supercharger, which I believe is about what they cost new.

Brian

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've done nothing to my ECU or fuel system and the truck runs great. Belt failure... not anymore likely than the same belt a non SC'd truck has. Complete SC failure, never seen it happen. It seems the majority of the fuel/computer issues arise in trucks that are bumping up some aspect of the system, increased flow injectors, underdrive/overdrive setups, fuel pumps, etc. My system is 100 as it came from the dealer, 68567 miles of trouble-free service from the SC.

The only failures I've had from either of my Tacomas (~200k combined miles) is a rack&pinion on my 96, a carrier bearing on my 96', and a throttle-body assembly on my 04'. The SC has proved to be the least of my worries.

Clutch

<---Pass
DaveInDenver said:
Well, thanks for thinking that (even tho it's not true). .
Don't let me down Dave, you're one of the biggest Toyota Geeks I know...(that's a compliment)

XL Bar: As a side note, I only run premium in my vehicles, yes, it is more expensive, but, I think is why my engines last so long. I did that Sea Foam additive, just for giggles, I was surprise how little smoke came out of the pipe, so I am assuming since I run premium, I have very little carbon buildup. Either that, or that Sea Foam stuff is a joke...(more likely)

I also change the oil every 2500 miles.

Mtriple

I've thought about adding a supercharger to my 02 4runner. I know there are issues as mentioned with the fuel system but nobody has mentioned the transmission(auto). I know there is a valvebody mod that can be done to avoid tranny issues, but I would be interested in hearing if anyone here has had issues with the stock transmission...

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Welcome to ExPo Mtriple - :beer:

I'm running a Hayden Transmission cooler with my set up. I don't experience extremely hot temps very often but I do a lot of mountain driving over passes, towing and hauling stuff. On occasion I will take truck & camper over some slow going trails where I use the tranny to assist with braking. My transmission gets some pretty good workouts.

I think a tranny cooler with the SC is key. It would be the second thing I would add after the SC. Cheap insurance ($50) for such a vital driveline component. I count myself fortunate that I have had no problems with the SC or tranny cooler after years of use.

Many of my trips include hundreds of miles on blacktop so I've really enjoyed having the SC at my disposal. It's more of a comfort feature on long trips than a necessity once on the trail. Like the locker I only use on the trail, never the street, the SC has it's advantages and is one part of my system that ensures for me an enjoyable trip.

:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz