3.0L V6 engine on Gen II Monty...

Spartan_0388

Observer
My Montero Sport has the same 3.0L and I usually get around 19-23Mpg with at least 65% being city driven miles. Others Sport owners I know seem to be ranging anywhere from 17-25Mpg.

The only real major problem I have read about is the rear cam seal likes to leak, which then runs oil over the valve cover and onto the alternator. I have not personally had this problem and my motor has 93k miles on it

As far as reliability I'll leave that for someone with more knowledge than myself. I have only had my Sport for 3 years, no real huge problems with the motor but starting to get a few with the Trans and Transfer case.

Hope this helps.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The 3.0 is pretty solid. 3.5 is also good and offers more HP.

Only real problem area I can think of of the top of my head is the Valve guide seals. They wear out and the engine will smoke a bit upon start-up (cold engine) & after idling for a while. Fix is to replace the seals only to have them leak again after they wear out again. Don't recall how long they end up lasting.

...but starting to get a few with the Trans and Transfer case...

:Wow1: That's unusual for an Auto Tranny. If you have a manual transmission then I can see that possibly being a problem but then again, it's still not a frequent problem with Mitsu tranny's. What problems are you encountering?

Spartan_0388

Observer
:Wow1: That's unusual for an Auto Tranny. If you have a manual transmission then I can see that possibly being a problem but then again, it's still not a frequent problem with Mitsu tranny's. What problems are you encountering?

It is slipping bad between first and second on occasions, and it is not wanting to go into 4WD (I think it is the solenoid valves from what I have read)

Red Zebra

Adventurer
It is slipping bad between first and second on occasions, and it is not wanting to go into 4WD (I think it is the solenoid valves from what I have read)

New fluid with a HEALTHY dose of Lucas Oil Trans fix will buy you some time and smooth out the shifts.... It's worth a try anyway...:sombrero:

barnstormer

Wanderer
I recently rebuilt a 3.0 for my 92 Montero. It had a spun road bearing from a previous owners having run it out of oil, probably from oil loss from bad valve seals or similar. It only had about a qt of oil in it when I got it, pre-rebuild.

Anyway, other than the spun bearing, the engine looked great inside. It had 187k miles on it, and the crosshatching was still visible and the bores just needed a quick hone.

As far as the valve seals are concerned, you can replace them without pulling the heads if you are handy.

I'm happy that I did the rebuild on the engine. The truck looks great inside and out, and everything works. I've got a total of about $1500 in the truck, and feels like it's got another 150k in it if I want to drive it that far.
I was a diehard Toyota guy until I bought this Montero. It's converting me! (or at least making me think good things about Mitsubishi)

It took me to some beautiful places over this weekend!

665679900_buhzz-X2.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
As far as the valve seals are concerned, you can replace them without pulling the heads if you are handy.

Yup either the rope trick or the LP air trick will work from what I've heard. I'm not that handy so I've never done it much less replaced them on my own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94