2wd to 4x4 conversion question for you van guys?

MrBeast

Explorer
Living where I do, I see a lot of 2wd vans that are in pretty nice shape. And they are cheap, I dont know if this is the case nation wide, but It seems to me as though van's are readily avalable for a guy who wants to use one as an expo platform.

I just did a 2wd to 4x4 conversion on my 72 Chevy C/30, and I installed a Cummins 6bt. I learned one heck of a lot through the process, and put some of the skills I have been learning in Welding and Machining school to use.

I dont know much about the van market other than the fact that my brother had a van in highschool, it was a 83 Chevy that had been converted to a 4x4, it had a full living quarters in the back complete with running water, It was a neat rig however, the 4x4 conversion was garbage.

Looking through the pic post thread over here it got me to thinking, because I have already been thinking about buying a CNC plasma or water jet, and getting into making conversion kits for pickups because I do know there is a market there, I wonder if there would be a similar market for Van's.

The concept I had was having individual pieces avalable for purchase for those who want to mix and match, and then having full kits avalable for the guy who wants to get everything all at once.

I was thinking of 4 levels of Kits

Level 1: Spring hangers and shackle mounts.
Level 2: Spring hangers, shackle mounts, transmission cross member:
Level 3: Spring hangers, shackle mounts, transmission cross member, Transmission 2 t-case adapter,
Level 4: Everything metioned above including a new or salvage axle, and a 4x4 transmission and transfer case.

Right now it is all a concept, I was thinking of offering it for the 1970 - 96 chevy, 99 up chevy and the 80's-current ford.

Id really like your input, might be some one already filling that need, perhaps there is something lacking you all really want. - Nick

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I think the applications you mentioned would be great save for the 92+ Fords, not that you couldnt do it, but you have stiff competition in that arena already, and it might not be worthwhile to reinvent the wheel already rolling. Installing what you sell is always a plus for customers. Having a niche is a great way to get started, and doing it the expo way can only make it better!

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Pathfinder and boulder off road both offer some of the chevy application kits you have talked about.

chasespeed

Explorer
Careful Nick... I may have to have you toss something together in the older style E series..... give me and the family another excuse to go down and visit the inlaws and friends..... just need to sell my Cummins....

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Yep, I would think that a kit for the older vans would be welcomed...say something that the shade tree mechanic could do to their 91 and older Ford vans....I'm sure that Dodge and Chevy van owners would be interested i a kit for theirs as well, but there seems to more more of an interest in Ford conversions.

MrBeast

Explorer
this is the cad of the cross member I built for my truck to convert it, it worked out extremly well.

frontxmembercad.jpg

And in reality:

axlein3.jpg

Remembering how my brothers van was, I dont think it would be too difficult to build something similar that would fit a chevy van.

The other thing I had been considering is I know the older chevy van's were a unibody, a frame reinforcing kit might be very welcomed for those... :wings:

MrBeast

Explorer
Oh and something else I was seriously considering, what about a kit that would allow you to stuff a 4BT Cummins in your van? I dont think a 6BT would fit, if it would man, that would be cool, but still a van with a diesel that got 22 mpg would be pretty sweet.

MrBeast

Explorer
Careful Nick... I may have to have you toss something together in the older style E series..... give me and the family another excuse to go down and visit the inlaws and friends..... just need to sell my Cummins....

Hey if you are looking for me to talk you out of it, here are my friends the chirping crickets to keep you company! lol

chasespeed

Explorer
My first obstacle is selling ky truck.... and finding a van in decent shape....all tue vans up here are 200k plus and/or rotted to not even usable scrap. Found a 1/2 ton quigley, in rough shape, new.motor and trans....10k....

Nope.

Chase

njtacoma

Explorer
Thoughts

There are several vendors that have already been mentioned, so the question to me would be where can you fit in the market?

Could you "copy" quigley and do it cheaper? Probably not a great plan.

Is there something new in an underserved market you could do? good plan.

I don't know what market that should be, but the van market overall seems to be quite a bit smaller compared to the truck market. I suspect Christ at ujoint doesn't have a home in Aspen and Fiji as a result of the lucrative van conversion market...

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't know the answer to your question, but if two or three companies try to survive in a small market and none of them make it we all lose, but if you bring a new idea and expand a market everyone wins.

Didn't really answer your question directly, but maybe these thoughts will help you refine the question you want to ask.

MrBeast

Explorer
My first obstacle is selling ky truck.... and finding a van in decent shape....all tue vans up here are 200k plus and/or rotted to not even usable scrap. Found a 1/2 ton quigley, in rough shape, new.motor and trans....10k....

Nope.

Chase

You can find nice van's here all day long on cragislist for about 1200-2500

MrBeast

Explorer
There are several vendors that have already been mentioned, so the question to me would be where can you fit in the market?

Could you "copy" quigley and do it cheaper? Probably not a great plan.

Is there something new in an underserved market you could do? good plan.

I don't know what market that should be, but the van market overall seems to be quite a bit smaller compared to the truck market. I suspect Christ at ujoint doesn't have a home in Aspen and Fiji as a result of the lucrative van conversion market...

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't know the answer to your question, but if two or three companies try to survive in a small market and none of them make it we all lose, but if you bring a new idea and expand a market everyone wins.

Didn't really answer your question directly, but maybe these thoughts will help you refine the question you want to ask.

What you have mentioned has a lot to do with why I started this thread in the first place.

If I do anything it is going to be of the highest quality that I know how, and as I gain access to CNC equipment here I will be able to bring that quality with economy. Thus I think I can bring something to market that is better, I am just wondering if the need is there.

And you are right, the van market is smaller, and I do not plan on doing only van stuff, for sure I am going to be doing truck stuff, and I am thinking of including vans in my product line.

I more so would like to know what everyones wish list is!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I would start with actually building a van, then you'll have a better idea of the total cost & time/work involved. There's a reason we don't see many GM 4x4 vans, the frames are much harder to work with. Especially if you want to keep the van low. (most guys do)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online