Spirit Overland
P1010015.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010016.jpg

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
img7439rt4.jpg

only the transfercase install has been done.

I have everything except front driveshaft and rear 4.56 gear

I have a front diff with 4.56s and an arb air locker ready to put in with manual hubs and cvs. dont have compressor so wont be able to use the locker till i get compressor

got quoted for 950 for rear gear install only with new bearings, i think its a bit much but whatever. I may check around.

im ready to get some things and this thanksgiving I hope to go on an expedition with this truck for the first time, a real expedition :)

also anyone know of a good GPS unit? Im gonna ask one from my parents for my bday to be safe and not have to use maps as much.

greenhorn

Adventurer
Is that a 4Runner? I heard you had to fab some crossmembers for the 4Runner as opposed to a Tacoma. I have a Tacoma Prerunner I am seriously considering a conversion on. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk.

Looks Awesome! :clapsmile

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Did you sleeve the frame?

If the frame is not sleeved you are going to have problems. Open frame will have some crush and you will never achieve the tightness you need to prevent the bolts from being sheared if you come down on that mount.

Sleeve it and step up to grade 8 or put it in double shear and or put a lip that hooks the bottom of the frame so that the mount can't be pushed up.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Grim Reaper said:
Did you sleeve the frame?

If the frame is not sleeved you are going to have problems. Open frame will have some crush and you will never achieve the tightness you need to prevent the bolts from being sheared if you come down on that mount.

Sleeve it and step up to grade 8 or put it in double shear and or put a lip that hooks the bottom of the frame so that the mount can't be pushed up.

the holes have been sleeved, i dont know what grade that is, prob 5 but i know the frame has been sleeved though.

Wil.. the inchworm case is freakin insane, however you will notice gear noise inside the cabin, but im used to it as I have music on or windows down and i dont hear it.

realllly low but not soo low that you can get wheels to spin enough, its close though.

verrry good on hills going up and dangerous offcamber trails going down in 1rst, keeps it going less then 4mph maybe around 2

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
I have the front diff in, except i lost the back bolt which came out during driving, so ill have to get that.

im having to order gears here tomorrow with inchworm or PORC.

29 inchs is the measured lenght between my front diff and transfercase, howevermy case is clocked up a bit hopefully that wont mess with anything.

front end is awaiting install as I dont know how to remove the balljoints from these spindles and remove my slugs from my camburgs on the other spindles and switch.

then i need an arb compressor and im locked front and rear and crawlin at 95:1 and should be quite happy.

Willman

Very nice!!!

What do you think the total cost is going to be with parts/labor???

Looks like a fun project!

:)

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
4WD Conversion

Looks like it's coming along nicely!
Were you able to transfer your Camburs upper ball joint slugs over or did you purchase new ones?

Cheers,
P

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
p1michaud said:
Looks like it's coming along nicely!
Were you able to transfer your Camburs upper ball joint slugs over or did you purchase new ones?

Cheers,
P

transfered my slugs, we did it wrong the first time, so it was a pita, but we ground out the rust and smoothened the spindles and they fit nicely and the c clips are in place for safety measures of course.

next up is rear end and testing.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
i have the gears in now, and im able to shift into 4wd, open, open till i have my compressor mounted to work both arb lockers.

which i have no idea about as i suck at wiring.

The ARB harness is really painless, but have you considered going completely pneumatic? If you're using a large air tank, and have no leaks in the system, you can leave the lockers engaged with the truck off. The ARB solenoids disengage when you cut the power.

Might be handy, if you need to cut the engine in a precarious situation, and you don't need to worry about electrical issues (like the one I'm working through now :p...it's why I mention the above, and the direction I'm leaning!)

-Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior