2WD or 4x4 through South America?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Obviously you need to make sure your vehicle is in top condition. Stock spare parts in the van, as they will be very hard to find. Even oil and air filters!

Have a source in Europe who can find/order parts for your vehicle, and ship them to you if needed. This may need to include a used parts source, as many new parts for your vehicle are rare.

Norush

Obviously you need to make sure your vehicle is in top condition. Stock spare parts in the van, as they will be very hard to find. Even oil and air filters!

Have a source in Europe who can find/order parts for your vehicle, and ship them to you if needed. This may need to include a used parts source, as many new parts for your vehicle are rare.

Thanks for the tip, this has all been taken care of.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
As other have said, you will be totally fine.

If you need part in Canada, I believe my friend has importer many of these in Montreal. He may be able to help. Here is the website:

http://www.rvwestfalia.com/

Attachments

• B299BC35-8EBB-4A69-8D20-7ABB2E55DF6B.jpeg
    B299BC35-8EBB-4A69-8D20-7ABB2E55DF6B.jpeg
    892.6 KB · Views: 14

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Another vote for BFG A/T.
My current set have 49K miles and have been as good as the past three sets, each about 55K miles.
And very well behaved on street or dirt with min noise.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
What is your bolt pattern and offset? There may be a common wheel in 16" that will fit.

martinet

You can fit G-Wagen wheels without any problem to go for 16". One of the toughest vans out there, you can find them everywhere in Afrika, carryting 20+ people and tons of luggage on "roads" worse than anything you will find in the Americas... if only they didn't rust so badly!
Parts are easy to find, and anyway, not much to go wrong as tey are quite simple vehicles, and easy to work on, as long as you don't need to get the engine out. Had a 1980 207D for years, took me all over Europe, good old days!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
You should be able to fit bfg a/t LT215/75R15 with minimal differences. Check with your local tire shop.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I personally would stick with the 15 inch wheel and possibly increase the sidewall so you retain a comfortable ride.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The only reason to go to 16" would be a wider wheel (wider tires) or for better tire selection. If your gearing is very low, you might want a bit taller tire to drop the cruising RPMs.

Personally a 225/75 or 245/75 or 245/70 would give good sidewall height, and flotation on softer ground. The long narrow contact patch when aired down is very helpful with heavy vehicles that have smaller engines.

What does your van weigh? Front/rear bias?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier