2nd Generation Tundra: 4.6 vs 5.7 advice

Dalko43

Explorer
You're really digging your grave deeper on this one.

I have a unimog. I was using as an example. The tundras frame is designed to flex.

The Tundra's frame and overall chassis were not engineered in the same way as the Unimog's, and it's foolish to suggest otherwise.

Well considering that trucks for what 80 years did not use boxed frame and only the last 10 years started. It's a fad.

Automotive engines also used carburetor's for about 100 years. Does that mean that the fuel injection systems which replaced them are also a fad?

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Have you read about the Unimog's chassis design or looked at any pictures? The way that frame is designed to flex is unlike anything else on the market. So you're comparing apples to oranges.

It isn't just the Mog, it's all HD trucks. And until recently it was nearly all LD trucks.

Here is an NPR:

ChassisTwist-1.jpg

Chevy did not try to make this pickup as "stiff as possible", and utterly fail:

2829167699_c85e0eca89.jpg

Here is a newer Chevy vs Ford. Notice how the Ford is much closer to keeping the wheels on the ground.

chvwtloisuaroet9z79l.jpg

And here is my Tundra. It doesn't twist all that much actually.

TundraTwist-.jpg

As I said earlier, there are compromises. A torsionally flexible frame can carry heavier loads in crossed up situations without bending/breaking, and keep all wheels on the ground. A stiff frame must also be made *strong* enough so it doesn't bend/break when you are crossed up and have a wheel in the air.

A flexible frame is inherently better for technical offroad use, where crossed up conditions are common. If you are going *fast* offroad (desert racing) however, having an big undamped spring is probably not a good feature. And on road a torsionally stiff frame is certainly better for handling. I think the move to stiff frames was done for on road handling since most trucks are used as cars these days.

Toyota probably went to a more flexible frames on US trucks to get a little more ride comfort and to save money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles