2nd Gen Xterra Interior Storage Rack

shmabs

Explorer
Hi there,

Here is my take on the 2nd gen Xterra rear storage "rack", I can't claim to have come up with the idea, as there are a few out there, but as always I wanted to do things a bit different, and it was fun to build rather than buy.

Goals:

-minimal weight gain
-secure mounting for Co2 tank and fire extinguisher
-utilize factory tie down rails
-5 gallon water can, pelican 1550's and cooler must all fit under the rack and be able to be secured
-largest possible platform up top
-legs as wide as possible to give the most room for sleeping beneath the rack

With those in mind, I built the following (pics are not the best, as they were taken at night)

Fire extinguisher can still be accessed pretty quickly

Tie down locations for Co2 tank

Mock load up to include: 5 gallon water can, cooler, two pelican 1550's, one pelican 1500 (in front of cooler)

3/8" uni-strut nuts were utilized for hold the rack to the factory channel, and securing the eye bolts for tie down points. I don't anticipate leaving the rack in there full time, but who knows. The rack can be removed in about 5 minutes, using a 9/16th wrench. I have determined that the platform on top is about as large as you can make it; when removing the rack you have to pick it up slightly to clear the curvature of the lower plastic trim pieces and it clear the D pillar trim by about 3/8" when doing so. Its worth noting that when you make the vertical support legs all the same size, the rack will have a noticeable slope toward the rear of the vehicle, because of this, my rear most legs are about 1" taller than the forward two.

Any questions please ask!

Mike

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94