2nd Gen Tundra Truck Bed Camper Build (ARE DCU Topper)

JaceStout

Next up was adding roof racks to the top of the camper. This was a mega pain in the ass, but I'm glad I took my time and did it right the first time. So much measuring.

Luckily the framing on the inside of the topper was spaced perfectly for the rails I was using. That being said, I did have to add two more 'support' rails to the structure. You can see them in this photo, they're the ones with the barcode on them.. luckily these toppers are just made with 1" square aluminum tubing, so it was really easy to just cut them to length and add them to the skeleton.

51566378996_dd74db4710_h.jpg

I then got a 90 degree section of 1" aluminum tubing and cut it into little strips to make brackets to hold the additional supports in place.

51567376380_efe5274ffa_h.jpg

Here's the bolts coming in from the top holding the racks to the skeleton of the topper.

51565644092_3a08a5160c_h.jpg

So much measuring to make sure the holes line up..

51567059099_f65486cf80_h.jpg

All bolted in and secured.

51566379586_a8ea254136_h.jpg

And finally the cross bars mounted. These are sherpa equipment company universal bars. They're a CO based company and they rock! Highly recommend them for any rack needs for your car..

51567375565_d9f6df72ee_h.jpg

If you have any questions please let me know. I had a very hard time finding info about putting roof racks on these toppers. I'm sure there are better ways to achieve this, but this is what I arrived at. It was pretty damn tedious but I didn't want to drill an incorrect hole in this thing..

brycercampbell

Wow this is already looking pretty dope. Definitely following this thread. Are you going to still be able to sit up straight on the bed platform?

raz17

Hello, I'm looking for a used DCU and was hoping you could tell me which width you ended up with for the tundra.

JaceStout

So looking to get a 26" with a rack instead of the 29" like yours. Do you think the headroom will be ok with the 26"??

Depends on how tall you are! I am 6' and I definitely plan on being able to sit up on my bed when it's all said and done. That was my whole reason for moving to this topper.

Hello, I'm looking for a used DCU and was hoping you could tell me which width you ended up with for the tundra.

I'm not sure what the width is, that was never a question when I spec'd out the topper. Sorry!

Wallygator

Adventurer
Depends on how tall you are! I am 6' and I definitely plan on being able to sit up on my bed when it's all said and done. That was my whole reason for moving to this topper.

I'm not sure what the width is, that was never a question when I spec'd out the topper. Sorry!

Thanks! I ended up ordering a wedge DCU 26" to 32". Gonna be fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94