2nd gen Tacoma Seats

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Test drove a 2012 Tacoma quad cab the other day.
I Found the head rests made the seats very uncomfortable. The headrest seems to be constantly angle forward which, for me makes for some uncomfortable posture... or sitting with a slouch.
Anyone else feel the same, and what have you done about the head rest/seat?

Thanks

upcountry

Explorer
Which model did you drive? TRD seats are much nicer. I have never had the problem you describe and I'm 6'3". I'm curious why the headrest was so far forward.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Hmm. I must be the only that experienced this.
It was a TRD Offroad model. My wife and I both checked out the headrests, seemed to be no adjust for them to tilt back. I may have missed something. The sales man was a a lot of help, suggested we could just take them off. :) I'm 6 foot and the misses is 5'10". We may just be used to my 89 4runner and her 98 rodeo seats.
The tacoma angled my chin into my chest when I allowed my back to follow the seat. When I sat with a straight back, middle back head on the head rest there was a void between my back and seat.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
My wife hates my headrests for this very reason and turns hers around when in the truck. I always wonder if she'll end up with whiplash in an accident...

upcountry

Explorer
Hmmm. Ill take a pic of mine and post. Are the rear ones perhaps swapped with the front ones by mistake (assuming with post size this is even possible?)?

I personally have found them to be placed just right and the seats fit my height very well. Maybe they have changed them since my 07 was built?

Finlay

Triarius
I've seen this complaint on other forums a time or two. Some people have a posture/body shape that makes the headrests really uncomfortable. I'm not one, and I think the Tacoma seats are pretty nice actually. People are different, and all that.

Anyway, some people just reverse or remove the headrests. I don't know that there are any aftermarket ones. It might also be possible to modify the existing ones somehow - there are guides for getting the headrests apart to replace/upgrade the upholstery (katzkin leather, for example) - with a vise and some persuasion.

J

JWP58

I LOVE the seats in my '10 TRD. They are about 100 times better than my '01 TRD and 200 times better than the bench in my '09.

4RExpo

I never really had a problem with them, but my wife who is shorter than me, absolutely hated them for the reasons you mention.

J

JWP58

How are you sitting? I tried today to get the head rest to hit my head and the only way i can get it to is by laying the seat back and resting my head on it. Hopefully thats not how you guys are driving.....layed back homie style..

For reference Im 6'1".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles