2nd Gen Tacoma 110 V inverter and refrigerator

XJINTX

Explorer
Looking for any experience with this issue. I have a new to me 2012 TRD Sport Tacoma. Have an impromptu camping trip coming up with friends next weekend. I'd like to show off my truck ;) I use an Edgestar Refrigerate in my Jeep and no issues yet. It has Sears Diehard Platinum battery. No charging beyond alternator. I'd like to take refrige in the Tacoma. There is the 110 outlet in the bed but no 12vdc that I can find. My question is can I run refrigerator off the 110? Will that draw more than if I run a 12DC to the bed? It has an upgraded Group 31 Odyssey gel battery but still only alternator for recharge. I will only be out 2 nights and will be driving during the day. Do you think I can use the 110? I will carry a jump starter and I assume that maybe the inverter has a low battery cutoff?

tjalward

Observer
Without mods, the inverter will only supply 400 watts when running in park, and 100 watts when running all other times. Not active at all when the truck is off. There are mods though to enable 400W any time, and power all the time.

I have successfully run my ARB 63qt off the 110 power (100 watts) when driving, and hooked it up to a spare battery in my bed that had alligator clamped 12V socket connected. ARB automatically chooses the AC power when available, and seemlessly switches to DC when AC is not. So was using alternator through the inverter whenever truck was running, and a dedicated, non charging battery in the bed for all other times (in camp). The battery ran my fridge for 2.5 days before the low voltage cutoff of the fridge kicked in.

XJINTX

Explorer
TJ that is exactly the info I was needed. I will buy some clips and run AC while driving and off stand alone AGM battery when not THANKS. Only need for long weekend so should work fine!!!!

Zemiller

If you're moving during the day I wouldn't worry about the extra battery. I have run mine off only the battery plenty (hard wired to 12v) and a good friend runs his off the 120v in the back of his FJ (only runs with vehicle on). My gp35 battery still has juice in the morning, his fridge is still cold. Both options work fine if you're moving daily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior