2nd Gen Raptor Thoughts/Comments

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
So I know there’s not a lot of focus on the Raptor here, but part of me is considering a new Raptor to replace the Power Wagon in the near future. I don't need a 3/4 ton truck, and the thought of something that rides nicer than my truck (the Power Wagon rides pretty damn nice for a 3/4 ton truck) that is also a little more zippy is kind of interesting. While I wait for Ram to show us the TRX Rebel with the Hellcat Motor, I'm wondering who owns a new 2nd Gen Raptor with the Ecopoop or has spent some time around them and can give me their thoughts?

Wallygator

Adventurer
Don't have one and never will cuz I feel it's a waste of money. The payload sucks and after you add yourself and a few family members the payload is basically gone. Plus the ecoboost model sounds stupid, liked a riced out Civic. Why they got rid of the 6.2 is beyond me??? Anyways sorry to be so negative on the thing but with the horrible payload it's basically a car with a truck bed and to me that is useless. YMMV.

I have to second the payload comment. They're great in the desert and for high speed stuff, which is what they're built for but for trail riding and hauling extra gear, any other half ton truck of your choice is probably a better choice and at a lower cost if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mobob

If you don’t need the payload and understand how it will be used, then go for it. It’s really not much worse than the power-wagon on payload. I have had a Gen1 for six years with many friends in gen2's. I am also a big fan of the power-wagon and have two friends with them I wheel and work with.

The Power-wagon is better for crawling around in the rocks and tight trails the Raptor better for things at speed. It also depends if you are going to modify it after purchase as Deavers on the Raptor will make it better riding and hold weight better.

I will probably look at both along with the Tremor for my next truck. Good problem to have trying to decide between the capabilities on such nice trucks. All are good choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

phsycle

Adventurer
What do you plan to do with the truck? What kind of load capacity do you need?

What the guys say about payload is true. It’s fairly low. You can have floaty soft suspension for blazing through trails or load capacity. Choose one.

Any 1/2 ton will most likely feel zippy. Raptor will be an absolute blast in that aspect. You’re talking about going from a truck that does 9 sec. to 60 to one around 5.

You can also get the same engine in a F150 Limited. It’ll give you more payload as well.

Ecoboost gets crap from naysayers but they’re good engines. Plenty of power, especially down low. Better MPG. Pretty reliable as well. Go and test drive a few.

plumber mike

Adventurer
Wouldn’t a call to Thuren or Carli fix the issue you have with the power wagon for much less?
I’d think the hemi engine could get a poor boy helephant upgrade that would increase performance for less than a new truck as well.
Let’s all go test drive a raptor today and report back!

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I have zero concern about the payload. The biggest thing I tow is a 21 foot Pontoon Boat. Right now I'm considering the following when I replace my 2012:
  1. New Ram Power Wagon
  2. Ram Rebel TRX
  3. Ford Raptor
  4. Ford Super Duty with the Tremor Package
The biggest thing I have against my Power Wagon (or a new one) is the big ass pain the lockers are to engage. My wife has a ZR2 and it's literally as simple as pushing the button and waiting two seconds for them to engage. On the Power Wagon it's 4 Lo, push the button, then drive slowly while making figure eights just to get the damn things to work. It's a freaking joke, and the biggest reason I'm looking elsewhere when the time comes for a new truck. If Ram could get their crap together I wouldn't even look at anything else but another Power Wagon. I like how the truck rides, it can haul a decent load if needed (again not a big concern), and it has a good old V-8 under the hood.

D

Deleted member 9101

Don't have one and never will cuz I feel it's a waste of money. The payload sucks and after you add yourself and a few family members the payload is basically gone. Plus the ecoboost model sounds stupid, liked a riced out Civic. Why they got rid of the 6.2 is beyond me??? Anyways sorry to be so negative on the thing but with the horrible payload it's basically a car with a truck bed and to me that is useless. YMMV.

1. With the stock exhaust they do not sound like a "riced out civic." While they don't sound like a V8, they are hardly "rice."

2. The 3.5 HO absolutely destroys the 6.2 in every aspect. It makes more power and weighs less.

3. My neighbor has one...seems to be anything but useless to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

While I am a fan of the new Raptor... And love the fact that it's a capable vehicle off the show room floor with a warrenty... You can buy an XLT and build what you want for less money (assuming you are paying cash for everything). The power difference between the 3.5 and 3.5 HO can be settled with a simple tune on the 3.5.

One thing people seem to overlook about the Raptor is the resale value. They hold their value like crazy!!

D

Deleted member 9101

Ecoboost gets crap from naysayers but they’re good engines. Plenty of power, especially down low. Better MPG. Pretty reliable as well. Go and test drive a few.

Forged internals, tons of power, extremely responsive, and easily upgradable.

I have embarrassed the hell out plenty of V8 owners (both stock and modified) who thought a V6 with twin turbos was gutless.

Oilbrnr

The biggest thing I have against my Power Wagon (or a new one) is the big ass pain the lockers are to engage. My wife has a ZR2 and it's literally as simple as pushing the button and waiting two seconds for them to engage. On the Power Wagon it's 4 Lo, push the button, then drive slowly while making figure eights just to get the damn things to work. It's a freaking joke, and the biggest reason I'm looking elsewhere when the time comes for a new truck. If Ram could get their crap together I wouldn't even look at anything else but another Power Wagon. I like how the truck rides, it can haul a decent load if needed (again not a big concern), and it has a good old V-8 under the hood.

You've complained about this on Power Wagon Registry for awhile now, and yet you know that it is a $450 fix with Able Components plug and play controller that will let you engage the lockers anytime in hi or lo range. You can also control your swaybar at will which I helped David prototype. Not sure why you're on the fence with this simple mod.

I personally never had the lockers not engage when I've actually needed them, I was more after the swaybar control to soften the ride at higher speeds while off-roading.

Keep in mind, both AAM (maker of the axles and the SmartBar controller) and FCA design this system to help prevent damage of components from guys trying to lock the axles under high rotation spin of wheels/tires. Bad things can happen real quick if you're stupid, and lord knows guys do stupid things while 'wheeling'.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

The best sounding V6 is one I can not hear.

If I ever get an Ecoboost it will be a quiet one.

Mine is...lol. I am running the stock exhaust behind a catted down pipe for that very reason...lol.

Ford did a good job designing the exhaust and with stock turbos there is little gain to be had from an aftermarket cat back.

There is no shortage of used aftermarket EcoBoost exhaust systems for sale. People buy them... Realize that the EcoBoost family of motors have horriable harmonics...and sell them shortly thereafter...lol.

HAF

I have owned mine for over a year. Typically after owning a vehicle for a year, I tend to get board with them and usually sell or trade within the next year. However, this truck seems to have grown better on me since new. I plan on keeping it until my Cybertruck is delivered in two or so years. Love the ride and the power. Seems to tow just fine (towed a large utility trailer with a forklift on it yesterday without any issues).

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
You've complained about this on Power Wagon Registry for awhile now, and yet you know that it is a $450 fix with Able Components plug and play controller that will let you engage the lockers anytime in hi or lo range. You can also control your swaybar at will which I helped David prototype. Not sure why you're on the fence with this simple mod.

I personally never had the lockers not engage when I've actually needed them, I was more after the swaybar control to soften the ride at higher speeds while off-roading.

Keep in mind, both AAM (maker of the axles and the SmartBar controller) and FCA design this system to help prevent damage of components from guys trying to lock the axles under high rotation spin of wheels/tires. Bad things can happen real quick if you're stupid, and lord knows guys do stupid things while 'wheeling'.

And I'll continue to complain about it. I don't remember the Wrangler having the same issue as the Power Wagon. It's a huge source of frustration.

And a little fun fact, I had the original bypass when Morgan built them (I had serial number 2 I think), and I sold that to Able so that he could build the product he has now. I think he's done a little better job than Morgan, but it's the same principle.

The simple point is this, why should a consumer have to spend any kind of money to bypass the factory setup to get the lockers to work as advertised? I have no issue with these being a 4 Lo Application (I think for 2019 you can use the rear locker in 4 Hi), but the smart bar setup and lockers on the Power Wagon are an issue that needs to be fixed before I consider a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne