2nd Gen INFINITI QX56/QX80 Build

Dmski

Adventurer
Checking back in here, you are really starting to sway me toward the infiniti/armada platform. I'm in the need of something slightly larger than my xterra and I've loved the performance and reliability of my rig with the titan swap and i really enjoy the unusual factor that the nissan family brings. As I do my research, I've had a few questions. How long have you had the moog springs on? I've heard moog springs tend to flatten out after a while, but maybe this isn't an issue. Could you run these without airbags and be completely fine or do you also feel airbags are required? Also, any maintenance issues that you've run into that weren't self inflicted? Lastly, have you tried sleeping in the rig? How much space is there if you lay all the seats flat?

leeleatherwood

Checking back in here, you are really starting to sway me toward the infiniti/armada platform. I'm in the need of something slightly larger than my xterra and I've loved the performance and reliability of my rig with the titan swap and i really enjoy the unusual factor that the nissan family brings. As I do my research, I've had a few questions. How long have you had the moog springs on? I've heard moog springs tend to flatten out after a while, but maybe this isn't an issue. Could you run these without airbags and be completely fine or do you also feel airbags are required? Also, any maintenance issues that you've run into that weren't self inflicted? Lastly, have you tried sleeping in the rig? How much space is there if you lay all the seats flat?

Hi Dmski,

I had the moog springs for a few months, as well as at least 1 other person I know. They did settle a bit, especially after towing my heavy ass RV. I think they settled but only ever so slightly, I do not think you need airbags but if you want to put them in, they are only $100 and super easy to install.

Good news though, Dobinsons has a lift spring which another person found in-stock in the US. Its not a constant load spring, so rated lift is for stock weight. Also, Ironman 4x4 has a "Peformance" rear spring listed and it again is rated lift with no constant additional load. So you have some options, plus springs are cheap and easy to swap.

As far as maintenance, when my truck was rear-ended, I think it knocked something loose in the rear drivers side door, and the outside rear handle no longer opens the door. I havent taken the panel off yet to investigate. Also, I did have some low throttle shudder during shifts when I first got it. Flushed the transmission fluid and now its gone.

I slept in the rig once, it was fine I guess but I don't really like sleeping with minimal room so it just wasnt for me (and my girlfriend). She said she was fine with the room, which I guess is as big as other SUV's. If you are fine with sleeping inside a vehicle it will probably be fine for you.
One thing to note is that the back isnt flat, it has a slope. So you can use air mattress or something, or build a flat platform like many people do.

EDIT: I think a Y62 with 35's and 2" lift will far exceed your expectations, I came from a Titan Swapped Frontier with ELocker and I don't have any real regrets.

leeleatherwood

Went snow wheeling this weekend by myself up in Truckee, CA. I was near Donner pass, which is where the Donner party got stuck and started eating each other to survive. Pretty nice area with deep snow and boulders. It's in the same geographic area as the Rubicon and Fordyce Creek.

The truck was great!

Snow up to my hips. I stepped out the drivers door and sank to my crotch. The tires had at least another foot of snow under them!
I8NOkg4h.jpg

ZR9PSndh.png

This was difficult, I almost wasn't able to make it up without Winching. Its actually steeper than it looks and what you can't see, is that underneath the snow its a boulder field. Icy wet granite has literally no grip, super slick. I just put it in 1st and pinned the throttle at 6500rpm and let it dig its way up and made it!
lbhK2i2h.png

Bundutrailer

@leeleatherwood What an Epic thread, looking at a QX80 for Overlanding too To replace my 4th Gen 4runner. so other than the weaker diffs and control arms, lower clearance vs the patrol, is everything else pretty much similar including size and strength of the chassis?

leeleatherwood

@leeleatherwood What an Epic thread, looking at a QX80 for Overlanding too To replace my 4th Gen 4runner. so other than the weaker diffs and control arms, lower clearance vs the patrol, is everything else pretty much similar including size and strength of the chassis?

The US models have integrated tow hitch, it's welded to the frame and quite beefy. Much beefier than aftermarket bolt on tow hitches on other vehicles.

David Dash says the Patrol frame is thicker material, I'm not sure on that though because the US spec has higher tow rating (8500lbs) than the Patrol.

Patrol doesn't have air suspension in rear, so they automatically have the higher spring rate springs.

Patrol has selectable traction modes.

Bundutrailer

The US models have integrated tow hitch, it's welded to the frame and quite beefy. Much beefier than aftermarket bolt on tow hitches on other vehicles.

David Dash says the Patrol frame is thicker material, I'm not sure on that though because the US spec has higher tow rating (8500lbs) than the Patrol.

Patrol doesn't have air suspension in rear, so they automatically have the higher spring rate springs.

Patrol has selectable traction modes.

many thank, not doing rock crawling or hard tracks so I should be fine with the weaker components for It is Overlanding I am doing. Thanks for making our work easier and all the many suggestions In the thread.

jackddavis

Love the build! Not common builds are great.
Currently making a similar effort on a 2019 Armada.
Did you ever install the Dobinsons? If so did you prefer those or the Moog?
Also, did you ever locate a source for the Y62 diffs, axles and hopefully the lockers?

leeleatherwood

Love the build! Not common builds are great.
Currently making a similar effort on a 2019 Armada.
Did you ever install the Dobinsons? If so did you prefer those or the Moog?
Also, did you ever locate a source for the Y62 diffs, axles and hopefully the lockers?

I have the Dobinsons installed, they feel the same as the Moogs, they are probably really close in spring rate.

The length of the Dobinsons spring is much longer though, so provides way more lift. They are rated for like 300kg constant load so installing them on a stock vehicle with no steel bumper, tire carrier, cargo, etc will lift it too high. Dobinsons has a different spring for no constant load that would be better for stock vehicles.

I regards to the rear locker, I talked to David Dash and he is willing to help ship it over to the states for me, because he is already shipping stuff to Nisstec anyways. I am still weighing my options between just putting in ARB in the rear or going with the Patrol rear diff.

Last edited:

SRN

Adventurer
I regards to the rear locker, I talked to David Dash and he is willing to help ship it over to the states for me, because he is already shipping stuff to Nisstec anyways. I am still weighing my options between just putting in ARB in the rear or going with the Patrol rear diff.

How are you getting in touch with Dash? I've sent them several emails over the past few months asking about shipping items to the US and all I get are crickets.

leeleatherwood

How are you getting in touch with Dash? I've sent them several emails over the past few months asking about shipping items to the US and all I get are crickets.

Well, Dash called me to get info on the best people to work with in regards to importing parts to the US, I told them to contact Nisstec because they are great supporters of the community and also come to Gone Moab every year. It looks like that partnership is going good.

I think now if you want to talk about importing anything from Dash, to call Nisstec.

Y62UpNorth

Over all how much lift and trimming did it require to fit the 37s? I’m still unsure so I haven’t made any moves yet, mind you I want to run the stock bumper on my Armada. Thanks!

leeleatherwood

Over all how much lift and trimming did it require to fit the 37s? I’m still unsure so I haven’t made any moves yet, mind you I want to run the stock bumper on my Armada. Thanks!

Just run 35s, no trimming needed. Might need to hammer the pinch weld depending on wheel offset.

If you are going to have the stock bumper then there really is no point to 37s, as you won't be able to go over obstacles that 35s or even 33s would have got you over anyways.

In other words, the stock front bumper will limit you far more than the tire size will.

jackddavis

I have the Dobinsons installed, they feel the same as the Moogs, they are probably really close in spring rate.

The length of the Dobinsons spring is much longer though, so provides way more lift. They are rated for like 300kg constant load so installing them on a stock vehicle with no steel bumper, tire carrier, cargo, etc will lift it too high. Dobinsons has a different spring for no constant load that would be better for stock vehicles.

Right on.
I do like the availability for parts here in the USA when sticking to Nissan USA OEM items (Titan/Armada) in case of a repair needed.
So the ARB is a better play now that I think about it.
Now, to find a source for the rear tire/jerry carrier...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online