2nd Gen INFINITI QX56/QX80 Build

Ocdfisher

I am looking at the adjustable height 5100 series bilsteins. Trying not to go overboard. With the rear roughly 1.5 inch higher on moog springs, I should be able to set the front shocks to almost level out.

TacomaTrooper

I've just picked up a 2013 QX56 for the wife and to tow our trailer, but part of me wants it for myself and to sell the Tacoma to get her something else lol.

Reactions: SRN

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I just gotta say, this is an amazing thread. I don't own a QX56 or Armada, in fact, I've never even owned a Nissan. I'm a Montero enthusiast, here's my latest Montero build thread and my Montero focused company.

However, I've been pondering switching platforms for quite some time now because of a desire for more power (Monteros only came with V6s in the USA) and although the 200 Series Land Cruiser seemed like a natural choice, I've found the QX56 has so many advantages which I'm sure you're already well aware of that that is the way I'm leaning now.

I just gotta say:

1. You got a KILLER price on your QX. Everywhere I look, a 2011 with 80,000 miles is like $25k + tax/title.

2. What you've done is amazing!! Great work and a huge inspiration.

3. I've been studying up on the vehicle and how it relates to the Aussie Patrol versions and am just wondering, when I look for a 2011-2013 QX56, are there any differences in the suspension options that I need to be aware of? Like did some come with hydraulic vs air vs regular springs?

4. I'm the USA Dealer for the awesome Australian brands Lovells Springs and PolyTuff Bushings; I saw your insane wait time for the Dobinsons Coils but outside of coils, are there any suspension bushings that you're having a hard time getting that could benefit from having a USA Dealer stock them? Or even if they exist in the factory rubber versions, is a poly option needed? I think the QX56 is going to be the next big thing in offroading with used Toyota prices still climbing even higher and once the word gets out on these 400HP beasts.

TacomaTrooper

I just gotta say, this is an amazing thread. I don't own a QX56 or Armada, in fact, I've never even owned a Nissan. I'm a Montero enthusiast, here's my latest Montero build thread and my Montero focused company.

However, I've been pondering switching platforms for quite some time now because of a desire for more power (Monteros only came with V6s in the USA) and although the 200 Series Land Cruiser seemed like a natural choice, I've found the QX56 has so many advantages which I'm sure you're already well aware of that that is the way I'm leaning now.

I just gotta say:

1. You got a KILLER price on your QX. Everywhere I look, a 2011 with 80,000 miles is like $25k + tax/title.

3. I've been studying up on the vehicle and how it relates to the Aussie Patrol versions and am just wondering, when I look for a 2011-2013 QX56, are there any differences in the suspension options that I need to be aware of? Like did some come with hydraulic vs air vs regular springs?

4. I'm the USA Dealer for the awesome Australian brands Lovells Springs and PolyTuff Bushings; I saw your insane wait time for the Dobinsons Coils but outside of coils, are there any suspension bushings that you're having a hard time getting that could benefit from having a USA Dealer stock them? Or even if they exist in the factory rubber versions, is a poly option needed? I think the QX56 is going to be the next big thing in offroading with used Toyota prices still climbing even higher and once the word gets out on these 400HP beasts.

Dang that is a lot for a 2011. The one's I have seen around me are typically 20k or less. Our 2013 had 66k and was 24k.

TacomaTrooper

Agreed, I got my 50,000 mile '17 Armada for $25k.
Yea the Armadas are definitely cheaper. You get mostly of the same vehicle for less. Depending on style preference and options either could be the better choice. We preferred the style of the Infiniti and all the options that were included on ours.

ricoisme26

very nice build, impressive capabilty both off road and it looks like you took that trailer across the country. What are the details on the trailer and how did the QX handle it? I have an F150 but its not a tow package model or anything hoping to build it up in an equally capable fashion

again awesome build and nice photography

leeleatherwood

I just gotta say:

When I bought my QX, I seen a few other ones around the same price. Maybe they have gone up?

The QX can have HBMC and non-HBMC. The HBMC suspension is actually what most of the Aussies run, but to be honest I dont know anything really about lifting them. The non-HBMC is just a normal coil spring suspension front and rear, with Air shocks in the rear. Air shocks can be removed without causing any dash lights or error codes.

If you could figure out how to get the offset alignment bushings for the rear, that would help some people. When lifting the rear, you can quickly run out of toe adjustment. In AUS, they have offset bushings available to fix this.

Also, I love Monteros. I think the 2nd Gen QX/Armada platform is pretty comparable, just more modern, more power, etc.

leeleatherwood

very nice build, impressive capabilty both off road and it looks like you took that trailer across the country. What are the details on the trailer and how did the QX handle it? I have an F150 but its not a tow package model or anything hoping to build it up in an equally capable fashion

again awesome build and nice photography

The RV is a 2019 Outback 340RD.

The QX handles it surprisingly well, but you have to understand I have stiffer rear springs, airbags and E-Rated tires at 65psi.

More importantly, I have 14K weight distribution hitch with DUAL CAM sway control (Reese Straight Line). Dual Cam is better than every other anti sway design that relies on friction. Dual Cam relies on a mechanical cam lock, which is much better. Without this hitch setup I would not attempt this heavy RV/long RV with such short wheelbase. I also have Electronic Anti-Sway which detects sway and automatically applies the trailer brakes, I don't think it has ever kicked in, but still I like it for the peace of mind. Its made by Lippert, called "Sway Command".

Oh yeah, going from East Bay Area CA up to Lake Tahoe (Truckee), I managed 10.1 MPG. I think that is really good. That's going from sea level up 7000ft over Donner pass.

TacomaTrooper

The RV is a 2019 Outback 340RD.

The QX handles it surprisingly well, but you have to understand I have stiffer rear springs, airbags and E-Rated tires at 65psi.

More importantly, I have 14K weight distribution hitch with DUAL CAM sway control (Reese Straight Line). Dual Cam is better than every other anti sway design that relies on friction. Dual Cam relies on a mechanical cam lock, which is much better. Without this hitch setup I would not attempt this heavy RV/long RV with such short wheelbase. I also have Electronic Anti-Sway which detects sway and automatically applies the trailer brakes, I don't think it has ever kicked in, but still I like it for the peace of mind. Its made by Lippert, called "Sway Command".

Oh yeah, going from East Bay Area CA up to Lake Tahoe (Truckee), I managed 10.1 MPG. I think that is really good. That's going from sea level up 7000ft over Donner pass.
Were you on the 37s while towing? Thats a really good fuel economy if so

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior