2nd Gen INFINITI QX56/QX80 Build

Kidkb

Great looking rigs! So just to clarify, the 2017+ Armada loses the rear locker, the terrain control, and also has a weaker front diff compared to the Y62 Patrol? Disappointing if so. How well does the abs controlled traction control work?

leeleatherwood

Great looking rigs! So just to clarify, the 2017+ Armada loses the rear locker, the terrain control, and also has a weaker front diff compared to the Y62 Patrol? Disappointing if so. How well does the abs controlled traction control work?

This is correct, even the rear diff is different (and weaker, smaller ring gear, less splines, etc) than on the Patrol.

I dont know how the traction control works from first hand experience because as soon as I encounter wheel spin, I back up and either try different route or bump it, so therefor I dont really give traction control time to work.
This is just a habit I have because this is my first vehicle with traction control. I am going to try to test it out in the future though.

On the other hand, this video makes the traction control look very impressive:

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
I'd personally be careful with an front R180 diff and 37's... R180's aren't exactly known for their robustness, and have a long history of breaking in the frontier/xterra community. That said, shameless plug here to let you know i have a spare r180 with 3.13 gears if you ever need it:p

leeleatherwood

Kings installed in the front, with measurements. 3" more droop than with factory coilovers, but you can notice that without notching the coil bucket it would have only been 2" with these UCA's.

Factory coilover:

Factory coilover+ 2" Lift spacer:

No coilover (max droop that can be achieved):

King Shocks coilover (the coil bucket is limiting the droop, but only barely by about 0.25")

leeleatherwood

The road-feel on the front end with the Kings is substantially improved over factory. The floaty feeling in the front end is eliminated. I also notice improved dampening in regards to tire judder so i think they are doing a good job at controlling such a heavy tire.

I have noticed though that I do not feel a difference in adjusting the compression adjusters from one extreme to the other. Right now I have them at only 1 click out (basically firmest setting) and they certainly could be much firmer. Once I get the rear shocks I will have them re-valved for my application.

Last edited:

leeleatherwood

Went back to Yosemite last weekend with WCORA, was fun.

Found this trailer and many people took turns using it as an RTI. People didn't think the Infiniti would make it as far as the 4 Runner and the FJ Cruiser but it did. If I didnt still have stock rear shocks it would have made it much further.

leeleatherwood

I need extended rear bumpstops.

Also, I hate the rear air suspension. When it loses air it's a pain in the ass to get it to fill back up. I don't know when the computer determines it's time to increase the ride height, it seems to have a mind of its own.

Matt and David from DASH off-road told me they have the exact part numbers I need to replace the rear springs for eliminating the air shocks and they should be available in the US.

Last edited:

Lane_change

Love the build write up and detail. Seeing a more unique ride is one I am definitely excited to see, especially the QX as that is what I am considering to start my build on this winter. Shopping now for a QX to begin modifications to, but it will still serve cross functions as a local commuter/daily driver so I'm not looking to go crazy...but enough for it to be capable on and off road. Coming from the Ford Raptor community, I want something more unique. Enjoyed the build, looking forward to reading more about it or hitting you up when the time comes.

Any issues with the Y62 suspension components from the Patrol or were they a pretty direct bolt-on affair?

My goal is full coilovers, bumpers, skiddies, snorkel, racks, lights, 37's, etc....hoping the drivetrain can support the daily life with that, but I may upgrade the diff/axles if needed, but I don't plan on hitting too extreme of situations off-road.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
I'd personally be careful with an front R180 diff and 37's... R180's aren't exactly known for their robustness, and have a long history of breaking in the frontier/xterra community. That said, shameless plug here to let you know i have a spare r180 with 3.13 gears if you ever need it:p
You could always put a Lokka in it. I happen to have a spare R180 sitting around with 3.36 gears and a Lokka

leeleatherwood

What sort of gas mileage do you get with the 37s?

Hi MmmBopThis, I believe you also contacted me on Facebook about this but I will go ahead and answer here too for future reference.

I average between 11-13mpg with the 37's. If combined highway and town its like 11, but if long distance on the highway I can get 13. This is accounting for the increased tire diameter.

leeleatherwood

Love the build write up and detail. Seeing a more unique ride is one I am definitely excited to see, especially the QX as that is what I am considering to start my build on this winter. Shopping now for a QX to begin modifications to, but it will still serve cross functions as a local commuter/daily driver so I'm not looking to go crazy...but enough for it to be capable on and off road. Coming from the Ford Raptor community, I want something more unique. Enjoyed the build, looking forward to reading more about it or hitting you up when the time comes.

Any issues with the Y62 suspension components from the Patrol or were they a pretty direct bolt-on affair?

My goal is full coilovers, bumpers, skiddies, snorkel, racks, lights, 37's, etc....hoping the drivetrain can support the daily life with that, but I may upgrade the diff/axles if needed, but I don't plan on hitting too extreme of situations off-road.

Sorry for this late reply, did not see the notification email.

The King coilover in the Front, which were designed for a Y62 Patrol required some customizing of the res brackets that were provided. This is because the Patrol has slightly different coil bucket. Modification that was needed was trimming the bracket down some and drilling a small hole in the frame where the bracket mounts (sheet metal screw so its a small hole). The coilovers themselves bolted right in. If you get coilovers without res, they would be 100% bolt in.

I have not ordered the rear King shocks yet, as a death in the familiy happened and I had to move as well, so I havent had much time to mess with the truck. I will be ordering the rear shocks shortly.

If you do not plan on doing anything extreme, I think 35's would be an ideal setup, and you can make the R180 front differential live good with those size tires as long as you are mindful while wheeling. (dont smash the gas, dont bind up the front wheels, dont bounce, pick your lines correctly, etc) Even if you blow a front diff, a new one is cheap, or better yet just upgrade to a Titan diff, those are not expensive either.

Lane_change

Sorry for this late reply, did not see the notification email.

The King coilover in the Front, which were designed for a Y62 Patrol required some customizing of the res brackets that were provided. This is because the Patrol has slightly different coil bucket. Modification that was needed was trimming the bracket down some and drilling a small hole in the frame where the bracket mounts (sheet metal screw so its a small hole). The coilovers themselves bolted right in. If you get coilovers without res, they would be 100% bolt in.

I have not ordered the rear King shocks yet, as a death in the familiy happened and I had to move as well, so I havent had much time to mess with the truck. I will be ordering the rear shocks shortly.

If you do not plan on doing anything extreme, I think 35's would be an ideal setup, and you can make the R180 front differential live good with those size tires as long as you are mindful while wheeling. (dont smash the gas, dont bind up the front wheels, dont bounce, pick your lines correctly, etc) Even if you blow a front diff, a new one is cheap, or better yet just upgrade to a Titan diff, those are not expensive either.

Appreciated. I have tried to get a hold of DASH on facebook Messenger as well, but no luck. Where did you order your coilovers from? I should be buying my truck in the next 30 days and will want to start ordering the upgraded coilovers, UCA's, and wheels pretty soon....then I will build a custom front bumper and frame sliders. Good to know on the 35's....I won't be doing much bouldering or any of that type of ruggedness...more just rough terrain, creek crossings, etc...basic off-roading. Nothing remotely resembling KOTH. For the diff's, will the Titan Diff fit front and rear? I may just do those and the axles at the same time to just have that part over with....can you add a locker to these?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz