2nd Gen Armada 4WD Mode Selector System - Snow Mode + 4-Low

SRN

Adventurer
I've been super impressed with the Armada. I've had it out on a trail every weekend but one since I bought it and I always take it on the hardest line that its approach angle will permit so that I can play with the 4-low and traction control, and I've never once had to back down and try another line.
One of the things that I've played with is engaging the "Snow" mode when in 4-Low to change the engine strategy to retard the throttle response further and engage the traction control sooner. Playing around on the same set of ledges this past weekend, I can tell you that it makes a noticeable difference! Here is a page out of the Nissan Learning Academy document that explains how the 4WD Mode Selection System works on the Y62 Patrol:

4WD Selector Characteristics.png

Now obviously US Armada/QX's don't have anything but Snow mode, but assuming our Snow mode is the same as the global Y62, 4-Low + Snow = Rock #1 on the chart. That's a pretty dramatic change in the strategy! So while we might not get Rock mode, that's pretty cool!

I have never thought of that. I'll definitely try that next time I'm off pavement. Thanks for the info. Yea my buddy has a TRD-off road Taco and he asked me where my recovery points were, because he knew I was gonna get stuck in this big mud hole on the trail we were riding and once I made it through it with no problem he was super impressed.

Reactions: SRN

leeleatherwood

The issue with Snow mode enabled is that it cuts engine power if a wheel starts losing traction. The traction control starts acting early.

In deep snow, sand or mud, you will need to turn it off because you need wheel speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles