2ND GEN 4RUNNERS

howe2301

Are there any 2nd gen 4 runner builds out there i have a 91 that i just got running and am looking for ideas for making it into a expedition vehicle. Pics would be great.

Wildcat

Adventurer
there are a few out there. unfortunalty 2nd gens dont get much love. i have been building mine but i always forget to take and post pics.

this is as close to a build thread as i have. click here

ugyjaren.jpg

etazytah.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
The 4Runner looks great Wildcat.

Check out the build thread (link in signature) of my 1989 Pickup. Not exactly a 4Runner, but close!

Also, let's see some photos of your rig as is!

howe2301

IMG_0100.jpg
This is just a pic of it in the garage ill see if i can get it out this weekend and get a few more. I got it for free with a bad motor i have about 500 into a new motor. its a 91 sr5 with 22re and a 5 speed trans.

Richie

Adventurer
There was a '92 Runner with a 22re 5 spd for sale for the longest time at a local dealer. I considered it before I bought my '97. The wanted $7k and it had almost 180k miles. I do miss my '93 sometimes.

Clay

Adventurer
_MG_0007.JPG

Here's my latest project camping vehicle. It's a 1990 with a brand new 22RE that I just put in. I'm glad that I went with the 4 cylinder, 5 speed version. It's not powerful by any means, but I'm sure it will be good to go for many years. Plans are for all of the normal additions we make around here. A little lift, some storage and extraction gear.

SixLug

Explorer
Here was mine when I was in high school / beginning of college. If I had to do somethings over again, it would be a redesign of the rear bumper (almost useless as it was really, but my first welding project with no prior experience), and a removal of the Surco roof rack (also useless). Everything else, I loved about this thing.

1993 3.0 auto.

wheelin2.jpg

wheelin3.jpg

Arktikos

Explorer
Love the Kenya truck. Come on guys, more photos please. Here's one built up with a shmitty bumper, LOL.

Attachments

• 4runner0001.jpg
    4runner0001.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 54

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Man, i loved my 2nd gen. Great platform. The only thing i didn't like was the auto tranny gearing. It really sucked in the mountains. If it was a manual, i'd still have it today. I'll try to find a pic.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I'm putting a 1KZ-TE Turbo-Diesel in one currently... SAS'ing it as well with a bunch of other stuff and custom bar-work.

Frankly their "lack of love" is pretty silly as they're some of the last "real Hiluxes" we got and they can be had cheaper then any other Toyota 4wd thanks to the boat-anchor 3VZ but the swap potential is pretty wide open as long as you keep it within reason. While I LOVE the iconic looks and "cool factor" to my 1st Gen, the 2nd Gen interior is a LOT more "modern" (some pluses and some minus to that IMO), the 4-doors are gonna make sleeping in the back a LOT easier then in my 1st Gen and I'm looking forward to having a fairly comfy cockpit to cover some long miles with the diesel... IMO 2nd Gen's are great trucks to start a build off of.

For some ideas (besides the great ones already posted) have a look over on Yota-Tech, there's quite a few great builds from more "expo" types to SAS'd crawlers. yes the rear body can "get in the way" on some of the more extreme trails, but if an LC wagon can get there a 2nd Gen (esp. with a solid axle) can too. Petersens 4wd did a write-up over a few issues on a 2nd Gen and remember, aside from the different body and rear-suspension they;re the same as the 1st Gen 4Runenrs and earlier "pre-taco" IFS Pickups so don't be afraid to take some ideas from other trucks and apply them to your 4Runenr.

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94