2nd Gen 4Runner

Darren01

Hello everyone. I recently picked up a 2nd Gen (91) 4runner. I really like it and dig the body style of it. I'm new to Toyotas, previously had Xterras and also have a 2500 Ram.

My 4runner has the 3.0 (yeah I know) but I don't mind the engine at all. I could care less about going fast. The heads and head gaskets were replaced under the recall a few years back. It runs great. I have some cool plans for it eventually. Currently I've put 31s on it, Bilsteins, and I am completely going over all the maintenance items. Just did the timing belt and all associated parts.

Future plans are to refresh the interior, raptorline the exterior, possibly a 5spd swap, and refresh the rest of the suspension and steering.

Anyone else around here with a 2nd Gen?

Attachments

• IMG_20200723_180121.jpg
    IMG_20200723_180121.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30

4runnerteq

Explorer
I had a 91 about 10 years ago. 3.0 stick shift. Loved that truck. Upgraded the wife from her 3rd gen to a 4th gen. Sold the 91 and took over the 97.

Darren01

Lol. I've kept at least 1 manual vehicle throughout my 20 years of driving. I enjoy them. But I definitely don't mind sitting in traffic in an auto. haha

Stomper4x4

Yeah man, 92 4Runner here, 3.0, 317000 miles on it and going strong. These motors are really good as long as you have realistic expectations. Mainly, towing and being the first to get away from the stoplight, or climbing mountain passes quickly. I can live with all of that. I love the look, it's easy to work on, and the size it right for fitting down the trails in the mountains. If I had a larger rig they would have massive trail rash for sure, or plain would not fit.

These 2nd gens are underrated. It sounds like you have your ideas right as far as what to do. Go over it all witha fine tooth comb, do the maintenance, and you'll be happy for many years!

toastyjosh

Adventurer
There are a few things that really help the 3.0.
Keeping up on your cooling system maintenance is massive.
Electric fan, ditch the stock one.
If you keep the auto, a external trans cooler is a must.
Proper parts, like NGK plugs and wires, etc
Intake upgrades that actually work are the reasoner delete, and the ported throttle body.
Other than that constant oil changes, any other maintenance.
Injector cleaning

Also head studs to make sure the gaskets never pop again, https://doaracingengines.com/6-cylinder-engine/v6-head-stud-kit/
If you ever replace your head gaskets always use OEM.

if your really want to commit to power DOA head porting is a 33 hp gain. https://doaracingengines.com/6-cylinder-engine/v6-heads/

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
Best thing you can do for the Toyota 3.0 is either headers or a crossover tube retrofit . It will move the crossover pipe away from the rear cylinders keeping the heat from building up and destroying the head gaskets .

Idaho_Pakeha

Occasional Archaeologist
Hello everyone. I recently picked up a 2nd Gen (91) 4runner. I really like it and dig the body style of it. I'm new to Toyotas, previously had Xterras and also have a 2500 Ram.

My 4runner has the 3.0 (yeah I know) but I don't mind the engine at all. I could care less about going fast. The heads and head gaskets were replaced under the recall a few years back. It runs great. I have some cool plans for it eventually. Currently I've put 31s on it, Bilsteins, and I am completely going over all the maintenance items. Just did the timing belt and all associated parts.

Future plans are to refresh the interior, raptorline the exterior, possibly a 5spd swap, and refresh the rest of the suspension and steering.

Anyone else around here with a 2nd Gen?
Yay for 2nd Gen 4Runners! I've owned mine for a dozen years or so now and it has gone on many an expedition in Southern Idaho/Eastern Oregon for fun/work (I work as an Archaeologist). I recently thought about replacing it with a newer Rubicon but i couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on something that seemed to have inferior build quality and costs $$$. Now the plan is to just upgrade the old girl and drive her another five years or so until i give it to my daughter.

Oh yeah, you think the 3.0 is slow, i have a 22RE 5spd with 4.10s and 31 x 10.5s. Slow is relative.

I just ordered 4.88s today and a locker. Things will improve shortly.

Attachments

• IMG_8478.jpg
    IMG_8478.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 16

Dmoranz

My 2nd gen. 245k, put in a new 3.0 remanufactured engine. Old Man Emu rear spring set, new shocks and steering damper. Oh Yea...and a ARB raised air intake Snorkel. 5 Speed Manual . Not the fastest, but reliable. It will get you there!

Arktikos

Explorer
I've had a '90 for 17 years. It doesn't see a lot of miles (about 160K now) since it's a vacation home rig but it's always been dependable. 3.0 and auto. Most attractive 4Runner body style of them all, IMO. 4Runner.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier