2nd Battery in Truck Bed, How Did You Mount?

Josh41

Adventurer
I have a second battery set up in my truck bed to power my AT Habitat and fridge, how did you secure your battery in your GFC, Habitat, Summit, OVRLND, etc?
I don't have room in the engine compartment and don't want to start moving stuff. Just looking to see how you tied down to handle off road use. Right now mine is just in a box with a strap to one loop, but I know its not enough, bonus points for pictures.

mvrk10256

I use a group 31 tray of amazon with a strap. Then cable covers. Depending on how its mounted it should be secure. You dont need to have a full size box. But if you do want a box, plenty of options on amazon if yous search group 31 battery box.

At first I used an ordinary battery box from Walmart strapped to a piece of wood. I slid a portion of the wood under a large, heavy tool chest I used for storage...no movement observed. I recall seeing a pic of someone use a Front Runner WolfPack with the raised lid. That would be easily secured.

andytruck

Observer
For truck camper I keep batteries in the bed, not the camper, so they stay in truck all the time.
I put pieces of a rubber mat under the batteries. (i have two 6-volt batteries) The batteries sit next to bed wall on right longways, so camper can slide in. I have a plug to connect to camper.

I just used thin aluminum sheet metal (more like roofing flashing) that was 5 inches wide and bolted it with self-taping screws to the front of bed, and then to the side. On the side I used piece of angle iron (aluminum) as a washer and left a small gap so I could pull tension on the strap when bolting in (think plumbing tape method). The side later became bolted in as screw came out. The sheet metal is wide (tall) so keeps batt from tipping, and there is enough material there to be plenty strong. Aluminum no rust, and havent seen any corrosion after all year and thousands of miles of RVing. I put some corrugated plastic over top to keep water off. The bolt also acts as the ground. Power comes from the starter 12v+ to a solenoid controlled in cab then up through the bed hole on side.

I dont use those bed-mounted tie-downs for TC, ever use those....

Last edited:

zoblo

Observer
I used a battery tray similar to this in the space in the front wheel well and screwed it to the bed of the truck. 525504

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online