2M Recommendations For Beginners Please!

TerryD

Adventurer
Get the ARRL test book. It has everything you need to get the Tech license. Go ahead and study for the General as well as you will be able to test for it when you sit for your Tech license.

rlynch356

Defyota
Anyone have an Icom ID-5100a? Thoughts?
Defiantly want a dual band out of the box.

I'm about to buy a rig for the truck to go along with my license next week (the test at any rate..)

For CB (they are used by a lot of people on the trails) I'm just going do one of those Cobra 75's all in one's - can't see any reason to spend more on a cb.

TerryD

Adventurer
I have an Icom IC2100H 2m and I'm very happy with it. I would imagine the 5100a would be a good radio as well.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
My Yaesu 1900 got half submerged (including the microphone) in silty water last May when I got into too deep of a puddle...works fine. Let's hear it for "mil-spec" ruggedized hardware.

BeenThere

New Ham Recommendations

My first ham radio was a Yaesu FT 8900. I really liked the detachable face place, as I don't have a lot of mounting space for the whole radio. Decided the 8900 with quad band was more radio than I needed and sold it for an Icom IC 208h that also has a detachable face plate. I like the Yaesu better, but the mic unit on the Icom is much better. Ran a short mag mount and got good performance, but would prefer to have had a permanent hard mount to the vehicle.

JJS2

FCC Testing

After posting in this thread, I realized that mine was an off-topic hi-jacking of the original post. So I started a new thread, instead.

Jim

Last edited:

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
Anyone have an Icom ID-5100a? Thoughts?
Defiantly want a dual band out of the box.

I'm about to buy a rig for the truck to go along with my license next week (the test at any rate..)

For CB (they are used by a lot of people on the trails) I'm just going do one of those Cobra 75's all in one's - can't see any reason to spend more on a cb.

One of my HAM buddies in our ARES group has one and he loves it. I wish I had known about that radio before I bought my 2300H. I will have one for my Jeep! Although the HT version if pretty amazing as well. His 5100 uses the GPS to follow what repeaters are where he is and automatically switches to them as he travels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Sooooo, 1 post from 2017 and 4 posts from all of 2016. Bumping this thread to see what's current...

Here's the scenario. I had a landcruiser with a yaesu 7900 for about 10 years. The radio was just ok. It never seemed to work as well as my icom v8000 I had in my tacoma prior to the landcruiser. Maybe I just never used the yaesu enough to get comfortable with it or it was too much radio for me. My tacoma 2m antenna was mounted centered on the cab of the truck and the landcruiser antenna was mounted on the rear hatch. I think this had a lot to do with my dislike for the setup on my landcruiser as comms were never that great.

Now both those trucks are gone and I have a new ram with a four wheel camper. I'd like a 2m with a detachable face plate. I will most likely install an nmo mount antenna centered on the roof of the cab, in front of the camper. I've always lusted for aprs but I definitely don't need it as I don't know anybody else with aprs and to integrate it on my ios navigating system seems impossible or like too much work for what it's worth. I'd mostly use it for simplex while traveling with friends or for an emergency. And I probably wouldn't use it a whole lot so having an intuitive interface would be really nice.

Any input is appreciated!

lake.jpg

Klierslc

Explorer
You want just a 2m radio? I don't see a reason to not go with at least a dual band with 70cm and 2m. This will give you some options based on who else is in your group.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
You want just a 2m radio? I don't see a reason to not go with at least a dual band with 70cm and 2m. This will give you some options based on who else is in your group.

I'm open to all justifiable suggestions. My 7900 was a dual band. I'm kinda thinking because my old setup wasn't operating at its full potential and I didn't spend enough time with it that I wasn't happy with it.

If it's easy to use and set up I'm open to dual band, dual receive.

i could use antenna recommendations too

Klierslc

Explorer
Icom IC-2720H seems like it would work well for you. You seem to have liked the icom interface better than the yaesu--I also think the icoms are more user friendly. The 2720h has a removable/remote mountable faceplate, supports aprs and can cross band repeat. So what? Well, that gives you access to your truck radio's power and antenna from an HT when you are out hiking. Also, your v8000 was a 75w radio, that may have affected your impression of the 50w 7900. For antennas, a nmo mount on your roof is an excellent choice. A dual band comet antenna would get the job done just fine. Take a look at the sbb and csb lines of dual banders and choose the length you want. The major difference between them is that the csb line is stiffer and has a foldover hinge while the sbb series is more flexible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles