2M Recommendations For Beginners Please!

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Hey everyone, just got my Tech license! I'm looking for a decent 2m rig with a detachable face plate so I can mount the main body of the radio elsewhere. Dash space in my Jeep XJ is hard to come by, and it's already slightly cluttered up. Any suggestions? If not one with a detachable face then one that is very compact.

Last edited:

Mobryan

Adventurer
None of the straight 2m units have detachable faceplates, I think the smallest 2m only unit is Yaesu's ft-1900. Many of the 2m/440 dualband units have a remote mount option, just a matter of how much you want to spend and what other features might be useful.

Matt

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Hey everyone, just got my Tech license! I'm looking for a decent 2m rig with a detachable face plate so I can mount the main body of the radio elsewhere. Dash space in my Jeep XJ is hard to come by, and it's already slightly cluttered up. Any suggestions? If not one with a detachable face then one that is very compact.

I'm running the Yeasu FT 8900 in my TJ, (quadband- 70cm/2M/6M/10M fm) with a Diamond mount and Quad band antenna.

The Yeasu 8800 is a dual band, and (as mentioned above) has a detachable face.

I feel the dual band is worth it, in my area we use both quite a bit.

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Thanks for the info! After doing some searching the Yaesu FT-7900 seems to be a good option for me. It's a 2m/70cm dual band with a detachable face. Seems to be just what I'm looking for. Would prefer an american made product though.

Longrange308

Adventurer
I just went out and bought a 2m setup. I ended up getting a Kenwood TM-281A, due to the fact that its simple, rugged, durable, and its a Kenwood... What has Kenwood ever really produced that was junk? I cant think of much if really anything.

I used a Comet SS460SB NMO antenna and attached that to a 5 1/2" NMO mag mount. I have been getting excellent range with reception, but since Im still a week or so from taking my test, I have nothing to base my TX distance on.

Overall the Kenwood has been great to listen to and to play around with. The speaker up front definitely takes away a lot of the need for an external speaker, and everything feels like its built overly solid. I am very happy with my choice in 2m radios. Im pretty sure Richard310 liked it too, he just bought one today, but went with a different antenna and mount setup.

Overall I am into the radio setup for $230 or so, including tax.

2M radio install by LongRangePro, on Flickr

richard310

pew pew
Everything's mounted but not hooked up yet. I went with the Kenwood TM-281A as well. Mated it with a Diamond K400S Mount and a Diamond NR770HB antenna. Once I get it programmed and fiddled with, I'll give my opinion on it.

Seldom

Hi all, newbie ham here...KK6OEX..no radio yet..seems the FT 7900 and 8800 are commonly recommended. I've read many comments about
how the ft 8800 does not legally identify back to the HT on cross band repeat...Sure gets technical IMHO.
How often do you use the xband repeat function. I was wordering if xband would drain the vehicle batt. My JK doen't have dual batts.
For me it seems the only benefit of the 8800 is dual monitoring. or am I wrong???
Any help is greatly appreciated...as I'm still learning a lot!

Thanks, Seldom, aka KEN

Dougherty03

The FT-8800 does NOT ID in the crossband repeat mode. This can be fixed by interfacing a small "automatic morse ID board" into the packet radio port.

I have an FTM-350 and it is the same case with that radio, needs an external ID board to be interfaced.

Here is the link for one. https://radiodan.com/idom/index.html

As for the Dual Watch function, I find those super handy and I will not buy a VHF/UHF radio without it. I like to have 146.52 on one side and any simplex or repeater on the other side. That way I can conduct normal radio ops and still have 146.52 monitored for emergencies at all times.

Crossband repeat will have a drain on any power source. I have a separate battery when I set this up and leave it.

Last edited:

AndrewP

Explorer
KK6OEX

If you are new, get a single band 2m radio to start. Learn your radio, get it programmed and use it a year. Then decide if you want to spend $$ on a bunch of features. Dual watch is a very handy feature. Cross band repeat has an occasional theoretical use, but most never need it.

After a year you will know more about radio, antennas, mounting, your realistic needs, and you're only in $200 give or take total. Do not get hung up in the specs. All single band (or dual band for that matter) will perform well and the same. Power is not a good measure of quality. You will spend most of your radio time on 5-10 watts of power. And above that, there is little practical difference between 50 watts and 75 watts.

BWickett

Observer
^ X2 sound advice. Start basic at first and then find that you are wanting / needing features you don't have yet. Then you can upgrade and get them if needed. I have a gazillion features on my 857d and use few. Most 2m comm is simplex or via repeater.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Dougherty03

This is my current setup. Kenwood TM-281 2m band FM radio.
IMG_20140806_153454_zpsipf0oz2k.jpg

Diamond K600M UHF type antenna mount. I usually have a Diamond NR770HB 144/440 band antenna connected here.
IMG_20140806_153704_zpslekwncwz.jpg

I have a second antenna mount on the passenger side fender. This is a NMO type antenna mount that is currently unused. This is where I had a 900 MHz ham antenna for my Spectra. I plan on putting a small half wave here for a dedicated APRS tracker.
IMG_20140806_153729_zpsdcl0nma0.jpg

craig333

Expedition Leader
Cross band repeat sounds like a neat function. I used it once just to verify it worked. I still think it sounds useful even though I have yet to find a need for it. Maybe some day. Being able to monitor two frequencies is immensely useful, just uh be careful to remember which one you're transmitting on :)

clandr1

Adventurer
IMO, the perfect 2M beginner handheld is the Yaesu FT-270R. Waterproof, durable, and has all the features one could need. You even get full 5W output on the optional AA battery pack.
As for mobile 2M, I'd suggest the Yaesu FT-2900.
I see crossband repeat being nice if you routinely find yourself in the middle of nowhere, with other people, and all of you split up often to cover an area (search and rescue, hunting, property surveying, etc). The ability to boost signals between independent personnel in a remote location would be helpful.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
As far as crossband repeat goes, it would work as a kind of repeater for people with HT's in the field, but only if everybody had dual band HT's. Which at least around here aren't as common. The more usual way to use crossband repeat, as least what I've seen/used, is to let you walk away from your mobile, but still have access to it. Kinda like a cordless phone. You setup the mobile in your car, or at a temporary fixed site, to have access to a local repeater, most likely 2m, where you couldn't get to the repeater with just an HT. Then you can walk around that area with a 440 HT, and still be in contact. It's handy, but I've only used it about twice in the past 15 years, for emergencies or public service events.

The problems with cross-band is that many hams don't understand it, or think it through. If you're running cross band to a 2m repeater, and 440 HT's, the HT's can't hear each other, or talk to each other and talk to the main repeater at the same time. Also, when it's a busy repeater, or people aren't leaving breaks in, you may not be able to get into it. This is because you have to wait not just for the repeater timeout, but for the crossband to drop, so that it and your radio can transmit back to the main repeater. These two things can make it a PITA for people planning events. It *is* cool, and handy, though.

As to the ID'ing from the crossband, I don't worry about it. I ID myself as required, and I'm always within 50 yards of the radio. To me, that's operating the radio by remote control, and I don't need to ID it. I'm not looking to start a war on it, I'm just presenting the view that I follow the rules, as do my friends on the air, and I see it as a non-problem....when I bought my 605, I'm pretty sure no radios were made that added an extra id for cross band, and the extra ID would drive people nuts on a repeater, and make using one through cross band even tougher on the receive side.

Some other things for a newbie to keep in mind:

not all dual band mobiles do cross band

most name brand 2m mobiles will have better intermod rejection than dual bands. This may be important if you live in an area with lots of radio noise, on the east coast like newark or nyc. My ft-2500 is nice and quiet driving through newark, but other dual band radios will be noisy. If you only use repeaters with tones, or live in 'normal' places this wouldn't be an issue.

Consider mounting locations for the mobile. I love 2m mobiles, have no need for dual band, but I'm going to have to buy a dual band remote head, because nobody makes a full sized 2m mobile with a detachable head, and I can't fit a full sized radio under the dash of my truck.

Yaesu (sp?), Kenwood, Icom, Alinco, all make good radios. That doesn't mean I like all of their radios, or that they haven't built radios that have had problems, but those brands have a pretty good reputation.

Not all radios work equally well on battery power. The yaesu's I've had are pretty good - 2500, 2900, 897. Meaning that they'll transmit OK from a 12v battery w/o the car running. Some radios (different by make/model) want more voltage than 12.6 when transmitting.

Consider buying a big radio and using it at half power. The 75W 2900 runs great at 30W, you and the other station you're talking to will never be able to tell the difference, I promise, and it's way easier on the radio. Get a 1500, or whatever the tiny 2m single band is, run it at full power for a while, and I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually kill it. FM, unlike SSB, is a 100% power mode, it's hard on the radio. With sideband, your average power is way lower than the peak power, and so is kinder on the radio.

And to anyone reading that's wondering "why ham?" - a full power 2m or dual band mobile in a vehicle is a serious piece of communications gear. On 2m, you'll have vehicle to vehicle communications that's as good as or better than any commercial or public safety setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94