2M or 10M?

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I've seen a number of folks talking about their 2M radios.
What about 10M? Does anyone have those in their rig?
Why or why not?
Any real difference in the two frequency ranges?
:confused:
Ed

asteffes

Explorer
Use of 10M would require a General Class license, which involves learning Morse code and another exam. For most folks who just want trail communications, 2M/70cm is all they need and more. It's really only the hobbyists who will go on to get a General. Technician provides plenty of utility for those who just want something better than CB.

UncleChris

Adventurer
Plus the 2M/70cm bands have more repeaters out there so chances of hitting a repeater are much better.

Another thing to consider, especially on a mobile unit is the size of the antenna. A 1/4 wave antenna for a 10 m would be too long to use in most mobile applications.

Now for a mobile base station, you could get a rig like the Yaesu 897, carry a screwdriver antenna and make broadcasts from camp. You can get batteries for it and Yaesu(as well as others) make excellent screwdriver antennas that can be mounted on tripods. Then you could use most all HF bands. Or youo could just run a wire for the same affect on a HF rig.

I look forward to the day I can take a HF rig up to sonora pass and 'see what's out there'

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
My favorite band off-road is 6 meter FM. Some propagation benefits of HF and yet excellent line of sight like higher freq's. Of course almost NOONE used 6m 'round here...:( You do have 6m access w/ just the tech license.

asteffes

Explorer
UncleChris said:
Plus the 2M/70cm bands have more repeaters out there so chances of hitting a repeater are much better.

I think the big win with respect to repeaters is that it's very easy to find someone. It's an automatic meeting point, so not only are they handy for organizing your own comms, but a good place to look for help if you need it.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
But you still need a license for 2M, correct?
Only CB and FRS have no licensing requirements?

Ed

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Yes, you need a tech license for 2M in the US. Don't let that scare you away from it.....It cost me $4 for the test, and if I can pass it, just about anyone can pass it.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
DaktariEd said:
But you still need a license for 2M, correct?
Only CB and FRS have no licensing requirements?

Actually, there is a service called MURS that is basically 2M CB. No test, no license (but there's also no repeaters). http://www.provide.net/~prsg/murshome.htm

Additionally, there is GMRS (of which FRS is a part) that costs you FCC $ (but applies to your whole immediate family's usage), but no test required but there are repeaters available. http://www.provide.net/~prsg/wi-gmrs.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94