2k quiet gendrators

MOguy

Explorer
Honda and Yamaha both make a 2k quiet generator as do many other off brands. Most are about half the price. I would assume most will be crap but it seems Generac makes one for less.

Anybody have any experience with 2k quiet generators?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have two of the 2K Yamahas. Did a lot of research a couple years ago and decided they were the best technology and best value. Biggest advantage is the fuel gauge, and the ability to run the carb dry without emptying the tank. I'm just going to stop using gas with ethanol in it because it causes too many problems, but straight gas is pretty expensive so can run regular pump gas for emergencies or when using for prolonged periods. I found both of mine on CraigsList, one as new and the other new in sealed box for a lot less than street price. If you want to do a propane or natural gas conversion, there seem to be more kits available for the Honda, and more used Hondas on the market. In terms of actual use, I wanted a gen that would let me run a 10" miter saw and 10" portable table saw in the boonies, and a single Yamaha delivers on that. The Yamaha was about the quietest out there and is pretty economical with gas. The new Ryobi stuff is pretty good, and I have seen their 2K on sale at Home Depot for as low as $450, so that's an option. No experience with Generac.

FlipperFla

Like DD I also did tons of research one thing I also found is the Yamaha engine has twice the life expectancy of the Honda. I have the 2K Yamaha we just returned from a month boondocking through Colorado, Wyoming and S. Dakota. My first priority is make sure I do not annoy my neighbors, no issues anywhere we went. One campsite near Creede my neighbor walked over to check it out, he had the 2k Honda, he was really impressed with how quiet it is compaired to his Honda, especially in the economy mode. Unbelievable fuel economy. I also have an adaptor so I can connect my boats fuel tanks to it for emergencies at home. Living in Florida with the hurricanes we are good to go.B0CFBCC4-DE98-4BE5-A4ED-29408FFD0A54.jpeg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Pretty hard to beat either the yamaha or honda

Ive had a honda 2k EU pretty much since when they were first available. Never once had an issue.
I did early on fix the whole run-dry issue though. Took nothing more than a toggle switch and 20 minutes.
This turns the factory switch into nothing more than a fuel switch, allowing you to run it dry.

Also, FlipperFla, Id love to see some actual statistics or sites claiming that the Yamaha has twice the life expectancy.
I've never heard that, and imagine that's a load of BS that is being tossed around.

Also, the mention of the yamaha being more quiet is simply wrong.
They are pretty close, and most would never notice the difference, but the Honda is more quiet.

Yamaha rated at 51.5DBA @ 1/4 throttle/load and 61DBA at full throttle/load
Honda rated at 48DBA @ 1/4 throttle/oad and 57DBA at full throttle/load

john61ct

Adventurer
Do not assume such poor quality.

Came across a reco for a 3000W parallelable unit, $700 at HF or NT,

apparently **very** quiet

Compared to the Honda price, fact that they're easily stolen. . .

dreadlocks

the new 2200EU has fuel shutoff letting you run carb dry.. I have a station down the street that sells ethanol free so I fill my jerry cans up with that and then put some marine stab-il in it.. Plan on adding a tri-fuel kit too as I use it for emergency heating power in winter.. hook it up to my natural gas supply and it'll have an endless fuel tank.

Hadda put a status LED inside the camper showing it had AC power because when its charging the batteries back up nobody can hear if its even running inside.

I bought honda cause i wanted it to be the last generator I ever need, take good care of it and one of my sons will inherit the thing after im done and gone.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I can only add to the Honda support. I've had my 2000 for 11 years. It's been through two rigs, countless camping trips and power outages. The last 4 years it's been doing Expo/Overland Vender events duty. I originally bought it to run the Polar Cub A/C on my Lance camper. I've often wondered why it doesn't have a fuel cutoff to run the carb dry for storage, but it's never been a problem since I treat the fuel prior to storage. I've done routine maintenance and oil changes (run on Mobil1). Heck, when we moved to the mountains it was called upon to run our fridge, coffee pot, lights and odds and ends when we lost power for a week (we now have a whole house unit hardwired in) In the end a lot of other brands have followed and added features, but the Honda was the first small, high quality, quiet, clean wave gen that was built to last......and it has. Only time and use will tell on others. Good luck!

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
Do not assume such poor quality.

Came across a reco for a 3000W parallelable unit, $700 at HF or NT,

apparently **very** quiet

Compared to the Honda price, fact that they're easily stolen. . .

If it's from Harbor freight and it's a wrench or other object I will use a few times or has a lifetime warranty that's fine but if it has an engine or motor, nope. Years ago i bought a bunch of pneumatic and electricc tools from HF and they all failed within a year. I bought a 12 volt compressor from HF and it quickly failed. I have bought nothing Northern Tool but if it like Harbor Freight stuff, nope.

As far as theft, I already thought about that and can lock it in or to the trailer or tree.

Last edited:
I bought a Harbor Freight 3500 parallel capable gen this past year. I've been very happy with it so far. BTW, it is rated at 57 DBA. In fact I have it up on a rack on a trailer hitch mount and the wheels are free from the ground. My only beef is there's a metal plate on one of the wheels, to keep it from rolling when it's on the ground, and that vibrates without any load on the wheels and that is louder than the generator runs! So I have to figure out a way to stop that plate from vibrating on the axle. I have run it on low power demand situations for multiple days on the same tank of fuel. It's indistinguishable that I'm running my power tools on the generator as opposed to through regular AC even when I have it on economy mode. I was worried about longevity so I bought the extended warranty plan. It's a little bit pricey but I can return the generator for any reason I want and get a new one at any time. I waited till the generator went on sale and I bought it for about $650 and the ext. warranty was another a $125 so I have about $775 in the whole thing. I think that's still less than the standard price for a 2000kw unit of the name brand versions...

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

john61ct

Adventurer
OK, "Power Horse" or Predator, apparently identical.

$649 w/ coupon sometimes, paralleled can support 6000+ actual watts, plenty of hard users say works just fine.

Longevity may well be poor, but it's a disposable world, hassle of trying to get stuff like this fixed these days is just not worth the hassle IMO in the States anyway.

Some say, actually more quiet than the Honda and Yamaha, but very close in any case.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Why would you bother chancing it at that cost, when for a just a bit more you can get a Honda 2000EU ?

Or even better, find a clean used one for less than $600

dreadlocks

but it's a disposable world, hassle of trying to get stuff like this fixed these days is just not worth the hassle IMO in the States anyway.

theres an authorized small engine honda dealer just down the street from me that not only sells inverter generators, it services em and performs warranty work.. most of the HF gennys are using knockoff honda engines in em.. why get a copy of a copy when you can get the original?

A friend got a 1k watt honda genny from a pawn shop for cheap af (~$250 IIRC), we ran the serial number and the thing is as old as I am and still runs great, still starts on first pull.

the old guy who lived across the street from me was in his 80's, an original owner in the neighborhood from the 60's.. still mowing his yard with the same honda powered craftsman he bought 40 years back.. when he died I really wanted to get my hands on that mower, they dont make em like that anymore.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles